WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - The most interesting relegation battle in history

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace The most interesting relegation battle in history

Posted by Willzay on Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:17 pm
Willzay User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 796
Rep Position: 10th / 77,892

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:58 pm
Posts: 8889
With regards to licensing Wakey were adwarded the same as Cas, Hull KR and Salford.
Id clean up RLFANS in 5 minutes.

Troll hitlist :

Jean Capdouze

Sir Kev/My Mate Ronnie

Lebron/Ruune Rebellion

Jonno
Posted by Fishermanscap on Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:34 am
Fishermanscap Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 307
Rep Position: 79th / 77,892

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:54 pm
Posts: 1335
GIANTSRL wrote:
wildcats :IDEA: :thumb:


You do know the mascot is called Daddycool not Wildcat :IDEA:
Posted by Pumpetypump on Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:04 am
Pumpetypump User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 295
Rep Position: 82nd / 77,892

Quiz Score: 320

Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2002 12:55 pm
Posts: 7078
Location: LS9

wildshot wrote:
That was the script taken by fans of other clubs and the media line building up to the decision but was rumour and suggestion rather than fact. After the franchises were announced someone at the RFL (I forget whom) said in an interview that Wakefield's bid was not the weakest. The media and fans of other clubs tend to ignore this and like to peddle the line that Wakefield only survived due to Crusader's demise (which conveniently suits their agenda).

HTH.


In that case, I apologise if I'm mistaken. As I say, I have no agenda. I've deleted the other off-topic angst posts so we can all start afresh as best mates.....
Posted by Slugger McBatt on Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:02 am
Slugger McBatt User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 179
Rep Position: 139th / 77,892

Quiz Score: 36

Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:09 pm
Posts: 5747
Location: Over there
Fishermanscap wrote:
You do know the mascot is called Daddycool not Wildcat :IDEA:


And does not look particularly wild either.

For what it's worth, I think Huddersfield are in the biggest mess. Two very big games coming up and a very young squad, although the Rovers and Broncos game will be a compelling watch.

For those who like maths, if Rovers and London lose their next games (Catalan away and Leeds at home respectively), Wakey are safe unless they get cricket scores against them, as the loser of the game the week after (Hull KR v London) will be still on 18 points, with one game to go and with a points difference that is even more horrendous than it is now, following two losses.
WAKEFIELD TRINITY - MORE ANCIENT. MORE LOYAL.
Posted by bren2k on Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:27 am
bren2k User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 628
Rep Position: 19th / 77,892

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:32 pm
Posts: 15259
Location: Ossett
Pumpetypump wrote:
In that case, I apologise if I'm mistaken.


Easy mistake to make - iirc, Sky had camera crews at BV on the day of franchise announcements, in the full expectation that we'd miss out; when Crusaders went pop, it was almost immediately reported in the way you've described, so quickly became received wisdom. The RFL corrected it some time later, but as is the way of these things, the truth was less palatable than the opinion, so the story stuck.

Back on topic - I can't help thinking that London will pull the required win out of the bag somewhere; I predict that Shudds will go down.
Posted by charlie on Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:32 am
charlie User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 95
Rep Position: 208th / 77,892

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2001 12:04 pm
Posts: 3496
Location: Wakefield
It certainly was due to the Crusaders. I was in the coach house (Cats Bar or whatever it is called now) after the match when the news came through.

Glover and his pals were pished up jumping around shouting "We are Superleague"

They also inflated the crowd figures (7k for Catalans home match for example) to help the franchise bid. All came crashing down when the tax man turned up wanting his cut of these high crowd numbers.

Daddy Cool doesn't seem as "Cool" as he used to be either, I think he may have bad knees these days or summat.
Posted by homme vaste on Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:53 am
homme vaste User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 448
Rep Position: 43rd / 77,892

Quiz Score: 184

Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:11 pm
Posts: 1478
Location: Tomorrowland
charlie wrote:
It certainly was due to the Crusaders. I was in the coach house (Cats Bar or whatever it is called now) after the match when the news came through.

Glover and his pals were pished up jumping around shouting "We are Superleague"

They also inflated the crowd figures (7k for Catalans home match for example) to help the franchise bid. All came crashing down when the tax man turned up wanting his cut of these high crowd numbers.

Daddy Cool doesn't seem as "Cool" as he used to be either, I think he may have bad knees these days or summat.


No it wasn't, as previous poster have already stated RFL come out publicly and said Wakefields was not the weakest bid of the current SL teams at the time.
Posted by wildshot on Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:44 am
wildshot User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 67
Rep Position: 235th / 77,892

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:53 pm
Posts: 1822
Location: The world is my oyster!

charlie wrote:
It certainly was due to the Crusaders. I was in the coach house (Cats Bar or whatever it is called now) after the match when the news came through.

Glover and his pals were pished up jumping around shouting "We are Superleague"

They also inflated the crowd figures (7k for Catalans home match for example) to help the franchise bid. All came crashing down when the tax man turned up wanting his cut of these high crowd numbers.

Daddy Cool doesn't seem as "Cool" as he used to be either, I think he may have bad knees these days or summat.


You are not making a good argument Charlie. Lots of flaws in what you say including the fact the franchises were announced on a week day not a match day so how can you say "after the match when the news came through"? A few of us on here have corrected the perceived wisdom to the facts. The RFL in an interview said that Wakefield was not the weakest bid. It may well be Crusaders was the weakest and Wakefield was second weakest, those of us outside the RFL will probably never know. However the fact Crusaders pulled out is fact and convenient as it avoided the RFL having to make a judgement and state who they viewed was the weakest franchise. No evidence exists that the RFL (as opposed to the media) saw Wakefield's as the weakest franchise.
http://flightsandfrustration.com/

It is "Fifita" not "Fafita"

If you don't know the difference between "there", "their" and "they're" I might get annoyed.

Sharing First World problems so you can get it right first time.

Millionaires wanted. Apply here --- Wakefield Trinity
Posted by King Street Cat on Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:06 pm
King Street Cat User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 228
Rep Position: 111th / 77,892

Quiz Score: 268

Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:49 am
Posts: 3459
Location: WF4
charlie wrote:
It certainly was due to the Crusaders. I was in the coach house (Cats Bar or whatever it is called now) after the match when the news came through.

Glover and his pals were pished up jumping around shouting "We are Superleague"


That didn't happen. The licensing was announced on a Tuesday morning if I remember right, not after a game. I had a walk down to Belle Vue that day to see if there was anything happening, and there were a few journos conducting interviews with similar rubberneckers like myself.
"Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him."
Posted by Pumpetypump on Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:52 pm
Pumpetypump User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 295
Rep Position: 82nd / 77,892

Quiz Score: 320

Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2002 12:55 pm
Posts: 7078
Location: LS9

I know Wikipedia is proof of nothing, but Trin fans may wish to amend the wiki page concerning the SL licencing round we are talking about. Not only does it say they only got a licence due to the demise of the Crusaders, but that they've been into administration:

"Crusaders announced that they had withdrawn their application for a licence, believing that they were not financially able to sustain themselves in Super League in the near future. The club had gone into administration after the 2010 season, This decision provided a reprieve for Wakefield Trinity, who had been expected to be denied a licence after also going into administration in the 2010–11 close season. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012%E2%8 ... e_licences
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: andy_moores, bewareshadows, charlie, Clearwing, Donnyman, farawayfartown, FearTheVee, Him, nkpom, oooh Gravy!, TheButcher and 191 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to The Virtual Terrace


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,979,3402,22877,8924,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
Thu 30th Jan 19:45
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
WARRINGTON
Fri 31st Jan 19:30
 CH
DEWSBURY RAMS
v
LEIGH
Fri 31st Jan 19:45
SL
HULL KR
v
WAKEFIELD
Fri 31st Jan 19:45
SL
ST.HELENS
v
SALFORD
Sat 1st Feb 17:00
SL
CATALAN DRAGONS
v
HUDDERSFIELD
Sat 1st Feb 19:30
 CH
TOULOUSE
v
YORK
Sun 2nd Feb 14:30
SL
TORONTO
v
CASTLEFORD
Sun 2nd Feb 15:00
 CH
BATLEY BULLDOGS
v
FEATHERSTONE
Sun 2nd Feb 15:00
 CH
BRADFORD BULLS
v
LONDON BRONCOS
Sun 2nd Feb 15:00
 CH
HALIFAX
v
SHEFFIELD
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)





2