WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - More competitive than ever or just a poorer standard?

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace More competitive than ever or just a poorer standard?

Posted by MorePlaymakersNeeded on Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:38 am
MorePlaymakersNeeded Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 858
Rep Position: 8th / 77,892

Quiz Score: 0

Paul Newlove (born in Wakey) might be accepted!
Posted by Call Me God on Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:24 am
Call Me God User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 945
Rep Position: 6th / 77,892

ThePrinter wrote:
So who exactly are producing better youngsters than the big clubs?

London seem to be doing OK........but they'll be lost to the comp next year when we go down, but that's OK, because the top 4 or 5 clubs will hoover up our best and we'll go back to being whipping boys.
JESUS WEPT :WALL: HOW MANY TIMES?????
£20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000.
The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Widnes is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover.

There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT:
Posted by Call Me God on Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:38 am
Call Me God User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Call Me God wrote:
London seem to be doing OK........but they'll be lost to the comp next year when we go down, but that's OK, because the top 4 or 5 clubs will hoover up our best and we'll go back to being whipping boys.

by top 4 or 5 I mean Wasps, Quins, Irish, Sarries et al..... :roll:
£20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000.
The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Widnes is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover.

There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT:
Posted by acko on Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:12 pm
acko User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 66
Rep Position: 236th / 77,892

ThePrinter wrote:
So who exactly are producing better youngsters than the big clubs?

You can get a boat load of great youngsters in but ateotd you can only have so many in your first team squad. Whilst you may think Leeds always throw big money at academy players their was a period recently when we weren’t which coincided with lack of spend on first team squad too...both of which coincided with spending big on the stadium instead. No coincidence that Leeds’ best group of youngsters in a while are on the verge of coming through in the next season or two as well as marquee signings just after the stadium work is completed. But using your money to do up your stadium to a high quality standard with a load of money isn’t something a Wakefield fan would know anything about.

Printer genuine question who are the official big clubs then is it Saints,Wigan,Leeds,& Wire and maybe Hull fc then, Because i like watching other teams players when we Wakey are playing them and i don't know all there names but Cas have a very good young lad i think called Trueman and another one but don't know is name both exciting prospects , And then there's Hudds who have got some good young players gaining first team experience in a struggling side and then us Wakey we have young Kershaw who is on par with regan grace of saints with is speed only difference is regan is playing first team now where as Kershaw's case he got a so-called player called Tom Johnstone in front of him who was developed by wakey so we are all producing good young players just some get there opportunity before others pending on who there coach is so it's not just the so-called top 5 clubs who are producing better youngsters than the rest of us in my opinion.
We are TRINITY's barmy army.

SWFC the owls are coming for you
Posted by craig hkr on Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:17 pm
craig hkr Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 344
Rep Position: 67th / 77,892

Or thane wrote:
The standard has been pretty poor this year in my view, we're in second place at the moment with a very average looking squad at the moment. There have been a handfull of awesome games this year and a lot of very poor games.

Looking at Warrington from outside it seems Ratchford has been a much bigger loss than first thought? Mamo and the youngster who got a game can't influence a game like he can. The centres and wingers are big fast and generally good I'd say? Clarke is superb but without Ratch,teams are able to target him a bit more as less danger elsewhere.Of course the pack is strong and Austin going great but Patton isn't consistent it seems? Or maybe just not good enough. When is Ratchford due back because I'd say before he got crocked Warry at least on a par with Saints. Still think you will win at least one pot this year.
Posted by Maccbull_BigBullyBooaza on Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:56 pm
Maccbull_BigBullyBooaza User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 200
Rep Position: 131st / 77,892

acko wrote:
Printer genuine question who are the official big clubs then is it Saints,Wigan,Leeds,& Wire and maybe Hull fc then, Because i like watching other teams players when we Wakey are playing them and i don't know all there names but Cas have a very good young lad i think called Trueman and another one but don't know is name both exciting prospects , And then there's Hudds who have got some good young players gaining first team experience in a struggling side and then us Wakey we have young Kershaw who is on par with regan grace of saints with is speed only difference is regan is playing first team now where as Kershaw's case he got a so-called player called Tom Johnstone in front of him who was developed by wakey so we are all producing good young players just some get there opportunity before others pending on who there coach is so it's not just the so-called top 5 clubs who are producing better youngsters than the rest of us in my opinion.

Jake Trueman is a Bradford academy product not Castleford.
Posted by Maccbull_BigBullyBooaza on Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:58 pm
Maccbull_BigBullyBooaza User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 200
Rep Position: 131st / 77,892

MorePlaymakersNeeded wrote:
Paul Newlove (born in Wakey) might be accepted!

Absolutely nothing to do with Wakefield. Newlove started at Featherstone
Posted by Dave K. on Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:00 pm
Dave K. 100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 377
Rep Position: 58th / 77,892

Maccbull_BigBullyBooaza wrote:
Jake Trueman is a Bradford academy product not Castleford.

Powell gets along of plaudits for being a top coach, but how many players has he developed from their own academy?
Posted by Him on Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:31 pm
Him User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 422
Rep Position: 49th / 77,892

Quiz Score: 4

Call Me God wrote:

That’s what P&R gets you.

Can’t have it both ways. Can’t have the benefits of promotion and not the downside of relegation.
Posted by Call Me God on Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:01 pm
Call Me God User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Him wrote:
That’s what P&R gets you.

Can’t have it both ways. Can’t have the benefits of promotion and not the downside of relegation.

Define benefit.......which team that has earned promotion has gone on to make the comp better......

PreviousNext