WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Fight for the Grand Final & A Relegation Battle

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace Fight for the Grand Final & A Relegation Battle

Posted by Call Me God on Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:27 pm
Call Me God User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 940
Rep Position: 5th / 77,819

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:14 am
Posts: 2921
Seems like we have both this year.
12 Rounds to go and a lot of "4 Pointers" still to come....

This coming weekend.
Castleford v Hull.....2 of 6 teams fighting for 5 spots.....Hull win, then they are a step closer to the play-offs, Castleford will want to stay a step ahead of their neighbours.
Leeds v Wigan. A Wigan win and they're out of the race to the floor, a Leeds win and they have one foot i the door to safety
St Helens v Huddersfield. Saints win and they get back on track, Huddersfield win and they're safe....they lose and they could still be sucked back into the mire
HKR v Wire. HKR can take a step to safety, but Wire need to win to keep the pressure on Saints.
Catalan v London. Catalan need the points as they are one of six chasing only 5 spots......a London win and the bottom of the table becomes very congested.
Salford v Wakey. Salford are an outside bet for the 5.....lose this and they'll be mid table.....Wakey can't afford to lose ground on the 5.....

12 Weeks left in the season and every game is actually counting.....this time last year Widnes were down already and Saints had one hand on the LLS.

I was a big fan of licensing (still am if it were done properly), but I have to say this season is a breath of fresh air. In the Championship, smart money would be on Toronto hosting Toulouse to replace whomever finished bottom of SL.......and only 4 points separate the bottom 6 at the moment.
JESUS WEPT :WALL: HOW MANY TIMES?????
£20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000.
The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Widnes is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover.

There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT:
Posted by My Mate Ronnie on Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:21 am
My Mate Ronnie User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 317
Rep Position: 76th / 77,819

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:20 am
Posts: 604
Do the top two championship sides play to see who replaces bottom of SL ?

I think Hull KR will be bottom come the end of the season .
Posted by wrencat1873 on Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:24 am
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 1101
Rep Position: 2nd / 77,819

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:28 pm
Posts: 12008
Call Me God wrote:
Seems like we have both this year.
12 Rounds to go and a lot of "4 Pointers" still to come....

This coming weekend.
Castleford v Hull.....2 of 6 teams fighting for 5 spots.....Hull win, then they are a step closer to the play-offs, Castleford will want to stay a step ahead of their neighbours.
Leeds v Wigan. A Wigan win and they're out of the race to the floor, a Leeds win and they have one foot i the door to safety
St Helens v Huddersfield. Saints win and they get back on track, Huddersfield win and they're safe....they lose and they could still be sucked back into the mire
HKR v Wire. HKR can take a step to safety, but Wire need to win to keep the pressure on Saints.
Catalan v London. Catalan need the points as they are one of six chasing only 5 spots......a London win and the bottom of the table becomes very congested.
Salford v Wakey. Salford are an outside bet for the 5.....lose this and they'll be mid table.....Wakey can't afford to lose ground on the 5.....

12 Weeks left in the season and every game is actually counting.....this time last year Widnes were down already and Saints had one hand on the LLS.

I was a big fan of licensing (still am if it were done properly), but I have to say this season is a breath of fresh air. In the Championship, smart money would be on Toronto hosting Toulouse to replace whomever finished bottom of SL.......and only 4 points separate the bottom 6 at the moment.


I agree with much of your post.

The fact that London have proved to be competitive, plus the runaway success of Wire and Saints, seems to have compressed the rest of the league, with most sides able to take points off the others, on their day.

For me, despite the erratic form of both sides, Catalan and FC look like they will make up 3rd and 4th, with the rest battling to try and gain 5th spot an/or avoid the wooden spoon.

The season looks like it will go down to the last 2/3 weeks, before the play offs and relegation spots are decided and it is indeed going to be an exciting finale and now that we have reverted to the top 5 play off format, once the wooden spoon is decided, attention will rightly shift to the play offs and GF.

Despite their reverse against London, Saints still look like they will take the LLS, although they may be less willing to rest players for some of their future games, assuming that they are bothered about winning the "hub cap", after all the SL trophy is what they (and Warrington) would really like.
Posted by Hasbag on Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:35 am
Hasbag User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 156
Rep Position: 154th / 77,819

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:52 pm
Posts: 2787
Location: Hull
I can quite easily see Catalans dropping out of the top 5. Cas and Wakey will both overtake them when they get players back.
Posted by homme vaste on Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:41 am
homme vaste User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 429
Rep Position: 44th / 77,819

Quiz Score: 184

Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:11 pm
Posts: 1338
Location: Tomorrowland
Hasbag wrote:
I can quite easily see Catalans dropping out of the top 5. Cas and Wakey will both overtake them when they get players back.


Agreed, probably more than likely Cas than us, I just think it is all dependant on picking up points where we can until we get to that stage and also how quickly we can get players back on the field - It could be by the time we get anywhere near putting out a decent side the 5 is already out of reach. Although Catalan are still inconsistent they seem to have improved from previous seasons, that said I still think they will drop off as the season goes on.
Posted by Egg Chasing on Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:12 pm
Egg Chasing Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 66
Rep Position: 232nd / 77,819

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:14 pm
Posts: 255
Location: Watching Rugby League
My Mate Ronnie wrote:
Do the top two championship sides play to see who replaces bottom of SL ?


Same top 5 system I believe.
Posted by homme vaste on Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:16 pm
homme vaste User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 429
Rep Position: 44th / 77,819

Quiz Score: 184

Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:11 pm
Posts: 1338
Location: Tomorrowland
Egg Chasing wrote:
Same top 5 system I believe.


I would of preferred a one up one down as I think that is fair given that really there is no reward for finishing top of the pile, never the less it makes it a little more interesting.
Posted by TheDreadnought on Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:35 pm
TheDreadnought User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 383
Rep Position: 56th / 77,819

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:17 pm
Posts: 648
homme vaste wrote:
I would of preferred a one up one down as I think that is fair given that really there is no reward for finishing top of the pile, never the less it makes it a little more interesting.


The championship would have been a whole more interesting this year if Toronto didn't bottle it last year.
“Yeah, I’ve been about a bit”
Posted by wrencat1873 on Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:54 pm
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 1101
Rep Position: 2nd / 77,819

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:28 pm
Posts: 12008
TheDreadnought wrote:
The championship would have been a whole more interesting this year if Toronto didn't bottle it last year.


I'm pleased that the Championship does have a play off series to decide the promoted side, which reduces the impact of Toronto's bottomless pockets.
Any side is vulnerable in a one off game (as Toronto showed last season)
You could argue that this makes it unfair on a side that has lead the comp pretty much all the way through the season.

With the sides that are currently challenging at the top of The Championship, it's going to be a fascinating end to the season and currently, you would say that it will be 5 from the current top 8 that have a chance of making the play offs, with Toronto and Toulouse very likely to finish 1 & 2.

It looks like being a cracking end to the season in SL and The Championship.
Posted by AS108 on Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:31 pm
AS108 Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 252
Rep Position: 99th / 77,819

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:40 pm
Posts: 1022
No we don’t, London will go down still and it’s all but a guaranteed Saints vs Warrington Grand Final.
Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ALAW, MPhil12 and 129 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to The Virtual Terrace


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,956,06691677,8194,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
TODAY 19:45
SLXXIV
WARRINGTON
v
CASTLEFORD
TOMORROW 10:50
NRL
SOUTHS
v
MANLY
TOMORROW 19:45
SLXXIV
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
SALFORD
Sat 21st Sep 10:50
NRL
MELBOURNE STORM
v
PARRAMATTA EELS
Sat 21st Sep 15:00
 CH
YORK
v
FEATHERSTONE
Sun 22nd Sep 14:00
 CH1
OLDHAM
v
DONCASTER
Sun 22nd Sep 14:00
WSL
FEATHERSTONEW
v
YORKW
Sun 22nd Sep 16:00
 CH1
NEWCASTLE
v
WORKINGTON TOWN
Sun 22nd Sep 18:30
 CH
TORONTO
v
TOULOUSE
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)





2