WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Catalan Dragons should not be in Super League

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace Catalan Dragons should not be in Super League

Posted by Tigerade on Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:54 pm
Tigerade User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 50
Rep Position: 197th / 77,614

Quiz Score: 0

Catalan Dragons should not be in Super League IMO. Yes their home support is good and quite a few away side’s supporters make a holiday of it which inflates their attendances.

But what do Catalans bring to your club?
How many make the return trip to say Wigan, Wakefield or any other away game?

They also get to play all their home games on a Saturday. No Monday, Thursday or Friday home games for them.

They haven't improved the French national team or the profile or French RL since they were allowed into SL. In fact the French team is in a worst state than ever.

How many overseas players are they allowed and why doesn't signing English players count on their overseas quota?

They even have a different salary cap to ours with the exchange rate as it is.

Boot 'em out I say - we want an English Super League. If they are that good why don't they form their own Super League anyway.
Posted by wrencat1873 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:26 pm
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 826
Rep Position: 3rd / 77,614

Tigerade wrote:
Catalan Dragons should not be in Super League IMO. Yes their home support is good and quite a few away side’s supporters make a holiday of it which inflates their attendances.

But what do Catalans bring to your club?

They also get to play all their home games on a Saturday. No Monday, Thursday or Friday home games for them.

They haven't improved the French national team or the profile or French RL since they were allowed into SL. In fact the French team is in a worst state than ever.

How many overseas players are they allowed and why doesn't signing English players count on their overseas quota?

They even have a different salary cap to ours with the exchange rate as it is.

Boot 'em out I say - we want an English Super League. If they are that good why don't they form their own Super League anyway.

I understand where you are coming from but, presume that you are having a laugh or hoping for a bite from the pseudo Frenchman.
They do gain some advantage by playing all of their hoe games on a Saturday but, that is a good thing for us visiting fans and they do stil play their away fixtures on different days, which bearing in mind the travel issues, makes their lives far more difficult than any of the English sides in the comp.

Signing English players doesnt count on their quote, just as French players in England dont count on ours.

The salary cap should be adjusted periodically but, this is far from simple, when you have players already signed up and you weren't complaining when this actually worked against them.

As for improving the French National side, they probably have. However since the professional era began, The French with their 20-25 full time professional player pool havent a hope in hell of competing with England, NZ or Aus.
Even if Toulouse make it into the top flight, which still looks a few years away, The French will still struggle and to expect anything different is wishful thinking.

As for forming their own super league, that's going to be pretty damned difficult with 1 1/2 professional clubs over there.

Finally, they HAVE increased the RL profile in France. At least their President (Macron) wished them luck in the Cup Final. Our Prime Minister and "Golden Prince" couldn't give a toss about the sport, which is probably our own fault as there are some who want it kept as a northern pub sport.
Posted by ALAW on Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:49 pm
ALAW Stevo's Armpit

Reputation Points: 19
Rep Position: 228th / 77,614

Main thing that asks me is that they get all home games on TV. That must help them more in terms of sponsorship and their profile than the English clubs. Not against setting more rl on TV but surley it has to be equal for all
Posted by Charlie Sheen on Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:47 pm
Charlie Sheen User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 352
Rep Position: 32nd / 77,614

Even than worse than the French Lancastrian's trolling.
King Monkey wrote:
Maybe a spell in prison would do Graham good.

At least he'd lose his virginity.
Posted by MorePlaymakersNeeded on Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:16 pm
MorePlaymakersNeeded Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 579
Rep Position: 12th / 77,614

How long before we have thread for each and every one of the 12 clubs questioning why they're in superleague?
Posted by little wayne69 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:54 pm
little wayne69 Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 313
Rep Position: 40th / 77,614

MorePlaymakersNeeded wrote:
How long before we have thread for each and every one of the 12 clubs questioning why they're in superleague?

:shock: Funny that, I thought we did.
Posted by Wigg'n on Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:47 pm
Wigg'n Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 124
Rep Position: 129th / 77,614

Quiz Score: 80

Brexit means Brexit.
Posted by Call Me God on Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:18 pm
Call Me God User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 817
Rep Position: 4th / 77,614

Tigerade wrote:

Hmmm.....
read my signature.
JESUS WEPT :WALL: HOW MANY TIMES?????
£20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000.
The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Widnes is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover.

There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT:
Posted by Budgiezilla on Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:32 pm
Budgiezilla User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 602
Rep Position: 9th / 77,614

Quiz Score: 224

The best thing about Catalans is, when they score a try against the home team....it's total silence....a'la Toronto, Toulouse, London etc
Who needs an 'atmosphere' at RL games anyway... :lol: :lol:
WELL DONE THE RFL !
"I know you've had a bad day, but there's no need to take it out on me"
Posted by Call Me God on Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:14 am
Call Me God User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 817
Rep Position: 4th / 77,614

Budgiezilla wrote:
Who needs an 'atmosphere' at RL games anyway... :lol: :lol:

Atmosphere? Does Atmosphere pay the bills? Maybe Derek should have got Atmosphere to buy your failing little 2nd tier club :SUBMISSION:
JESUS WEPT :WALL: HOW MANY TIMES?????
£20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000.
The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Widnes is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover.

There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT:
Next