WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Salford's tiny fan base: how can the club survive?

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace Salford's tiny fan base: how can the club survive?

Posted by JEAN CAPDOUZE on Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:00 pm
JEAN CAPDOUZE User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 741
Rep Position: 15th / 77,889

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:09 pm
Posts: 6606
Location: Carcassonne, France
Why don't Salford fans go to the ground by car, perhaps by carpool?
Toulouse for Championship in 2017, Super League in 2021!

Avignon for Championship in 2021, Super League in 2022!
Posted by RoyBoy29 on Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:22 pm
RoyBoy29 User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 415
Rep Position: 49th / 77,889

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 8:29 am
Posts: 1621
They can share with the Catalan and Toulouse away followers then cant they.
Irony is represented below.

JEAN CAPDOUZE wrote:
He is not telling the truth. He is talking paranoid rubbish.
Posted by rollin thunder on Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:32 pm
rollin thunder Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 570
Rep Position: 27th / 77,889

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:25 pm
Posts: 3382
Uncle Rico wrote:
No it isn't ideally located, although I'm just off to my local pub in Monton (Eccles) for a quick beer with some Eccles based Salford Fans pre match and it's probably 50/50 them getting to either ground, all be it the other is now gone.

Where I think the game let Salford down was the threat of SL status based in some part on the quality of your ground. Salford were in a mess, the new ground offer came along at the right time as it suited a variety of none RL agendas I don't think that the Salford plan ever stacked up projected numbers wise very optimistic and the uplift that we had from Wilderspool to the HJ couldn't be repeated as the AJ Bell was pretty much rejected day 1 and the die was cast.

The rest is history and it's not over yet I know this Forum isn't an indicator of Salford's fan base but two (in my case ex pat) Wire fans discussing Salford's predicament probably says something about their plight



It's all relative to how you perceive it, as an away fan, yes it takes longer to get out of stadium carpark but then it's like half a mile and back in motorway, used to take longer to get back on motorway from he willows but back to the car and away quicker, overall it evens it self out. And as I live 25 miles away from headingley and 3 Rl clubs are closer to home for me I just see driving to any game home and away as just part of the game day. If Cas ever get the new stadium I will use the short rail journey, but can walk from my parents house to Cas ground anyway. I can probably see why home fans get a bit miffed if public transportation to the stadium is poor, but surely the entire Salford fan base was not 800m radius from the willows and people still had to drive before, surely for a number of fans the stadium is now closer.
Posted by Uncle Rico on Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:29 pm
Uncle Rico User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 397
Rep Position: 53rd / 77,889

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:24 am
Posts: 4242
Location: Stuck in 1982
northmanchesterdevil wrote:
Salford fans post on another forum so actually it says nothing at all.


"says nothing at all" a bit like your post then really? Read my post again I think that is what I was saying, over the thread two Warrington fans discussing Salford's plight and quite sympathetically IMO rather than simplistically rubbishing your club and you select half a line to prove what point?

So on reflection your post far from saying nothing at all perhaps says it all
Posted by Uncle Rico on Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:53 pm
Uncle Rico User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 397
Rep Position: 53rd / 77,889

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:24 am
Posts: 4242
Location: Stuck in 1982
rollin thunder wrote:
It's all relative to how you perceive it, as an away fan, yes it takes longer to get out of stadium carpark but then it's like half a mile and back in motorway, used to take longer to get back on motorway from he willows but back to the car and away quicker, overall it evens it self out. And as I live 25 miles away from headingley and 3 Rl clubs are closer to home for me I just see driving to any game home and away as just part of the game day. If Cas ever get the new stadium I will use the short rail journey, but can walk from my parents house to Cas ground anyway. I can probably see why home fans get a bit miffed if public transportation to the stadium is poor, but surely the entire Salford fan base was not 800m radius from the willows and people still had to drive before, surely for a number of fans the stadium is now closer.


I agree a 5 mile move shouldn't be that difficult to replan and whilst it might put a few off it might make it more likely for others to go or certainly make it easier for those Salford citizens in Cadishead, Irlam, Eccles, Patricroft Peel Grean Worsley
Posted by Cokey on Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:59 pm
Cokey User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 902
Rep Position: 7th / 77,889

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:58 pm
Posts: 6261
Location: Across The Universe....... Jai guru deva om - Nothings gonna change my world.
JEAN CAPDOUZE wrote:
Why don't Salford fans go to the ground by car, perhaps by carpool?


Scatalan tried that, and the driver was singing to himself.
Image
Posted by Dropkick Murphy on Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:05 pm
Dropkick Murphy User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 62
Rep Position: 237th / 77,889

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:37 pm
Posts: 2846
Location: Heald Green, Cheshire
Uncle Rico wrote:
I agree a 5 mile move shouldn't be that difficult to replan and whilst it might put a few off it might make it more likely for others to go or certainly make it easier for those Salford citizens in Cadishead, Irlam, Eccles, Patricroft Peel Grean Worsley


Five miles might not sound a lot, but imagine if we had moved five miles away from Wilderspool, thus taking us right out of the centre of Warrington. Would we be getting five figure crowds? No chance. I travel to home games (from Didsbury) and obviously we would have our core who would go anywhere as long as it was still technically Warrington, but in the grand scheme of things we'd be a minority. Premier League football clubs would easily survive such moves, but clubs at a more community level - not just RL clubs - that don't have Premier League football sized fan bases don't have such flexibility.
Warrington RLFC: The Wire, NOT Warrington Wolves

FORZA WIRE
Posted by northmanchesterdevil on Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:12 pm
northmanchesterdevil User avatar
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 12
Rep Position: 287th / 77,889

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:11 pm
Posts: 397
Location: Walkden
Uncle Rico wrote:
"says nothing at all" a bit like your post then really? Read my post again I think that is what I was saying, over the thread two Warrington fans discussing Salford's plight and quite sympathetically IMO rather than simplistically rubbishing your club and you select half a line to prove what point?

So on reflection your post far from saying nothing at all perhaps says it all

Really? What does it say?
No Salford fans have joined in this thread because no Salford fans bar a handful read this site (cue the moronic quotes of "Salford fans" and "handful").
I read the last paragraph differently than you suggest you intended it to read.
My bad.
Posted by Call Me God on Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:53 am
Call Me God User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 945
Rep Position: 6th / 77,889

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:14 am
Posts: 2921
JEAN CAPDOUZE wrote:
Why don't Salford fans go to the ground by car, perhaps by carpool?

do you car-pool to Shark Park Bazza?
JESUS WEPT :WALL: HOW MANY TIMES?????
£20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000.
The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Widnes is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover.

There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT:
Posted by the artist on Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:24 pm
the artist User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 155
Rep Position: 153rd / 77,889

Quiz Score: 84

Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2003 5:40 pm
Posts: 6537
Location: At the cider bus, Worthy Farm, Somerset
i went along yesterday, car park fee wasn't too bad as there were 4 of us to share the cost. Took 5 minutes to get away after the game. To be fair most of the crowd had left well before the end though. thought the crowd as a little on the disappointing side as salford had started well, the WCC being on might have led to a few neutrals like me attending, and leeds brought a reasonable number with them
The referee's indecision is final
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Darwinsdad, Fishermanscap, Jake the Peg, Leyther14, little wayne69, Seth, SirStan, the artist, Traffic and 229 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to The Virtual Terrace


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,977,9711,77877,8894,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
TOMORROW 07:30
GB
PNG
v
GB LIONS
Thu 30th Jan 19:45
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
WARRINGTON
Fri 31st Jan 19:45
SL
HULL KR
v
WAKEFIELD
Fri 31st Jan 19:45
SL
ST.HELENS
v
SALFORD
Sat 1st Feb 17:00
SL
CATALAN DRAGONS
v
HUDDERSFIELD
Sun 2nd Feb 14:30
SL
TORONTO
v
CASTLEFORD
Sun 2nd Feb 16:45
SL
LEEDS RHINOS
v
HULL FC
Thu 6th Feb 19:45
SL
WARRINGTON
v
ST.HELENS
Fri 7th Feb 19:45
SL
CASTLEFORD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Fri 7th Feb 19:45
SL
HULL FC
v
HULL KR
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)





2