WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Salford's tiny fan base: how can the club survive?

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace Salford's tiny fan base: how can the club survive?

Posted by JEAN CAPDOUZE on Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:00 pm
JEAN CAPDOUZE User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 741
Rep Position: 15th / 77,889

Quiz Score: 0

Why don't Salford fans go to the ground by car, perhaps by carpool?
Toulouse for Championship in 2017, Super League in 2021!

Avignon for Championship in 2021, Super League in 2022!
Posted by RoyBoy29 on Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:22 pm
RoyBoy29 User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 415
Rep Position: 49th / 77,889

They can share with the Catalan and Toulouse away followers then cant they.
Irony is represented below.

JEAN CAPDOUZE wrote:
He is not telling the truth. He is talking paranoid rubbish.
Posted by rollin thunder on Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:32 pm
rollin thunder Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 570
Rep Position: 27th / 77,889

Uncle Rico wrote:
No it isn't ideally located, although I'm just off to my local pub in Monton (Eccles) for a quick beer with some Eccles based Salford Fans pre match and it's probably 50/50 them getting to either ground, all be it the other is now gone.

Where I think the game let Salford down was the threat of SL status based in some part on the quality of your ground. Salford were in a mess, the new ground offer came along at the right time as it suited a variety of none RL agendas I don't think that the Salford plan ever stacked up projected numbers wise very optimistic and the uplift that we had from Wilderspool to the HJ couldn't be repeated as the AJ Bell was pretty much rejected day 1 and the die was cast.

The rest is history and it's not over yet I know this Forum isn't an indicator of Salford's fan base but two (in my case ex pat) Wire fans discussing Salford's predicament probably says something about their plight

It's all relative to how you perceive it, as an away fan, yes it takes longer to get out of stadium carpark but then it's like half a mile and back in motorway, used to take longer to get back on motorway from he willows but back to the car and away quicker, overall it evens it self out. And as I live 25 miles away from headingley and 3 Rl clubs are closer to home for me I just see driving to any game home and away as just part of the game day. If Cas ever get the new stadium I will use the short rail journey, but can walk from my parents house to Cas ground anyway. I can probably see why home fans get a bit miffed if public transportation to the stadium is poor, but surely the entire Salford fan base was not 800m radius from the willows and people still had to drive before, surely for a number of fans the stadium is now closer.
Posted by Uncle Rico on Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:29 pm
Uncle Rico User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 397
Rep Position: 53rd / 77,889

northmanchesterdevil wrote:
Salford fans post on another forum so actually it says nothing at all.

"says nothing at all" a bit like your post then really? Read my post again I think that is what I was saying, over the thread two Warrington fans discussing Salford's plight and quite sympathetically IMO rather than simplistically rubbishing your club and you select half a line to prove what point?

So on reflection your post far from saying nothing at all perhaps says it all
Posted by Uncle Rico on Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:53 pm
Uncle Rico User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 397
Rep Position: 53rd / 77,889

rollin thunder wrote:
It's all relative to how you perceive it, as an away fan, yes it takes longer to get out of stadium carpark but then it's like half a mile and back in motorway, used to take longer to get back on motorway from he willows but back to the car and away quicker, overall it evens it self out. And as I live 25 miles away from headingley and 3 Rl clubs are closer to home for me I just see driving to any game home and away as just part of the game day. If Cas ever get the new stadium I will use the short rail journey, but can walk from my parents house to Cas ground anyway. I can probably see why home fans get a bit miffed if public transportation to the stadium is poor, but surely the entire Salford fan base was not 800m radius from the willows and people still had to drive before, surely for a number of fans the stadium is now closer.

I agree a 5 mile move shouldn't be that difficult to replan and whilst it might put a few off it might make it more likely for others to go or certainly make it easier for those Salford citizens in Cadishead, Irlam, Eccles, Patricroft Peel Grean Worsley
Posted by Cokey on Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:59 pm
Cokey User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 902
Rep Position: 7th / 77,889

Location: Across The Universe....... Jai guru deva om - Nothings gonna change my world.
JEAN CAPDOUZE wrote:

Scatalan tried that, and the driver was singing to himself.
Posted by Dropkick Murphy on Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:05 pm
Dropkick Murphy User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 62
Rep Position: 237th / 77,889

Uncle Rico wrote:
I agree a 5 mile move shouldn't be that difficult to replan and whilst it might put a few off it might make it more likely for others to go or certainly make it easier for those Salford citizens in Cadishead, Irlam, Eccles, Patricroft Peel Grean Worsley

Five miles might not sound a lot, but imagine if we had moved five miles away from Wilderspool, thus taking us right out of the centre of Warrington. Would we be getting five figure crowds? No chance. I travel to home games (from Didsbury) and obviously we would have our core who would go anywhere as long as it was still technically Warrington, but in the grand scheme of things we'd be a minority. Premier League football clubs would easily survive such moves, but clubs at a more community level - not just RL clubs - that don't have Premier League football sized fan bases don't have such flexibility.
Warrington RLFC: The Wire, NOT Warrington Wolves

FORZA WIRE
Posted by northmanchesterdevil on Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:12 pm
northmanchesterdevil User avatar
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 12
Rep Position: 287th / 77,889

Uncle Rico wrote:
"says nothing at all" a bit like your post then really? Read my post again I think that is what I was saying, over the thread two Warrington fans discussing Salford's plight and quite sympathetically IMO rather than simplistically rubbishing your club and you select half a line to prove what point?

So on reflection your post far from saying nothing at all perhaps says it all

Really? What does it say?
No Salford fans have joined in this thread because no Salford fans bar a handful read this site (cue the moronic quotes of "Salford fans" and "handful").
I read the last paragraph differently than you suggest you intended it to read.
My bad.
Posted by Call Me God on Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:53 am
Call Me God User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 945
Rep Position: 6th / 77,889

JEAN CAPDOUZE wrote:

do you car-pool to Shark Park Bazza?
JESUS WEPT :WALL: HOW MANY TIMES?????
£20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000.
The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Widnes is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover.

There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT:
Posted by the artist on Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:24 pm
the artist User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 155
Rep Position: 153rd / 77,889

Quiz Score: 84

i went along yesterday, car park fee wasn't too bad as there were 4 of us to share the cost. Took 5 minutes to get away after the game. To be fair most of the crowd had left well before the end though. thought the crowd as a little on the disappointing side as salford had started well, the WCC being on might have led to a few neutrals like me attending, and leeds brought a reasonable number with them
The referee's indecision is final
PreviousNext