RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
22 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Salford's tiny fan base: how can the club survive?

User avatarMoe syslak wrote:
Moe syslak User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:43 pm
Posts: 1374
Location: Springfield
If the game finished at 5 they would probably just be getting out of the car park by 8 :wink:
'I've done things i'm not proud of. And the things i am proud of,.......well they're disgusting'

User avatarSaleSlim wrote:
SaleSlim User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:16 am
Posts: 1425
Moe syslak wrote:
If the game finished at 5 they would probably just be getting out of the car park by 8 :wink:


Nice try but since the link road was put in getting to/away from the ground is a hell of a lot easier. It's no longer a valid excuse for home/away fans to avoid the AJ Bell. :D
quote="Ruune Rebellion"]No. That’s what you said you idiot which is why you are sexiest lol. Give up you sexiest Imbecile[/quote]

User avatarCall Me God wrote:
Call Me God User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:14 am
Posts: 2921
SaleSlim wrote:
Nice try but since the link road was put in getting to/away from the ground is a hell of a lot easier. It's no longer a valid excuse for home/away fans to avoid the AJ Bell. :D

The Broncos Supporters group (both of them) arranged a coach to Salford, leaving Trailfinders at 8.30am.......once the occupants were safely returned to Ealing at about 10pm, there would then be a fair amount of "onward" travel, as I doubt many hail from Ealing......so midnight would be a fair assessment.
I arranged trips to wakey and wales back in the quins days.....getting back to the stoop at 9 was still 3 hours away from home for a great many fans.....and remember, London's core faithful do this every second week......
JESUS WEPT :WALL: HOW MANY TIMES?????
£20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000.
The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Widnes is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover.

There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT:

User avatarCM Punk wrote:
CM Punk User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:36 pm
Posts: 7273
Location: The Midlands
SaleSlim wrote:
Nice try but since the link road was put in getting to/away from the ground is a hell of a lot easier. It's no longer a valid excuse for home/away fans to avoid the AJ Bell. :D


Didn't help that much at the Wigan preseason game, I was the only one trying to head that way, but because there isn't a filter lane for it, I was stuck in the queue of everyone heading to the other junction for about 30 mins.
Wigan RLFC
rollin thunder Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:25 pm
Posts: 3868
SaleSlim wrote:
Nice try but since the link road was put in getting to/away from the ground is a hell of a lot easier. It's no longer a valid excuse for home/away fans to avoid the AJ Bell. :D

Been to AJ Bell severel times, apart from the first time when the stadium first opened i gave not found it that difficult ir too ling to get out of the official car park. Its not any worse than the KC main car park or Wigan. Last year was out and away in Motorway about an hour after final whistle. hull kr parked about a mile away probably took 30 minutes to get out if stadium and walk through crowds to car, then about 10-15 in traffic to get clear, it probably seems worse and longer er at Salford as you are often just sat not moving for about half hour.
Its just become one of those great myths/lies and an easy excuse to not go. Same with local fans fans complaining they ground is too far away just because its not at the end of their street anymore.

User avatarwrencat1873 wrote:
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:28 pm
Posts: 15683
Call Me God wrote:
The Broncos Supporters group (both of them) arranged a coach to Salford, leaving Trailfinders at 8.30am.......once the occupants were safely returned to Ealing at about 10pm, there would then be a fair amount of "onward" travel, as I doubt many hail from Ealing......so midnight would be a fair assessment.
I arranged trips to wakey and wales back in the quins days.....getting back to the stoop at 9 was still 3 hours away from home for a great many fans.....and remember, London's core faithful do this every second week......


To follow London home and away is a fair effort and becomes akin to the most dedicated soccer fans, who make a day of it, whether the game is at the weekend or midweek evening kick off.
It's a world away from the "traditional" RL fan who can (or at least could) get to home and away games, within a couple of hours in each direction and usually be back in their local for last orders and this is a tricky part of spreading the game.
Fans that are used to travelling home and away can no longer easily do this and to any fans of the overseas expansion clubs, it's never going to be a realistic option.
We've all read your signature and whilst clubs shouldn't rely on away fans to boost their gates, the type of fans that are now "wanted" by the sport are no longer the week in week out dyed in the wool fans, who follow their side everywhere. "We" would now prefer the type of fans that cherry pick their games but have loadsamoney and would rather take on full hospitality etc, etc. Unfortunately, there just aren't the numbers of fans that can/want to do this and all the time, the "traditional" fans are being sidelined.

User avatarSaleSlim wrote:
SaleSlim User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:16 am
Posts: 1425
wrencat1873 wrote:
To follow London home and away is a fair effort and becomes akin to the most dedicated soccer fans, who make a day of it, whether the game is at the weekend or midweek evening kick off.
It's a world away from the "traditional" RL fan who can (or at least could) get to home and away games, within a couple of hours in each direction and usually be back in their local for last orders and this is a tricky part of spreading the game.
Fans that are used to travelling home and away can no longer easily do this and to any fans of the overseas expansion clubs, it's never going to be a realistic option.
We've all read your signature and whilst clubs shouldn't rely on away fans to boost their gates, the type of fans that are now "wanted" by the sport are no longer the week in week out dyed in the wool fans, who follow their side everywhere. "We" would now prefer the type of fans that cherry pick their games but have loadsamoney and would rather take on full hospitality etc, etc. Unfortunately, there just aren't the numbers of fans that can/want to do this and all the time, the "traditional" fans are being sidelined.


To be fair to London, if they're averaging say 1000 home fans per match then taking 10% of their fans to Salford last week was a pretty decent effort. I'm a season ticket holder at Salford City FC (yes, the plastic club before anyone points it out... :D ) and for long distance trips (London & further south) we've been averaging around 100-150 and that's based on an average of around 2500 home fans. For "derbies" like Fylde, Halifax & Wrexham we took around 400-450. Those coaches are heavily subsidised by the club though and even for the longest trips we only have to fork out £15 (Dover is near on 600 mile round trip).

For Salford Rugby, we took in the region of 1500 to Huddersfield for the first game on a Friday night. Bearing in mind we have a core support of maybe 3000 that either means we have a lot of hard-core fans or we have a lot of people that will turn up for a few beers and a trip out 4 or 5 times a season when it's a local derby! I'd imagine for Wigan and Wire away we'll take 1000 or so which based on % of fans that's pretty decent effort. Will Wigan and Leeds be bringing a third of their average home gate (4k or so) to the AJ Bell?
quote="Ruune Rebellion"]No. That’s what you said you idiot which is why you are sexiest lol. Give up you sexiest Imbecile[/quote]
onlyanorthernsoul User avatar
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:14 pm
Posts: 478
Fully wrote:
If you want crowds to be better, how about not bleeding playing games on Thurs and Fri nights across the M62? But we won't do that because it's about making it inconvenient as possible so that fans watch on TV instead of getting off their backsides and going to games, therefore swelling the TV viewing figures so it looks great when it comes to renewal time.

If the RFL and SL really wanted the best of both worlds they'd make it so there would be 1 TV Game on Thurs/Fri or Fri/Sat and the rest played on Sunday. Maximum TV viewing, and other games on a weekend when most people are free and can make longer journeys.


Bingo! competing against ourselves.
onlyanorthernsoul User avatar
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:14 pm
Posts: 478
Interesting article written recently, very poignant, for all RL. Paul McNally spent 15 seasons in the backroom at Salford Red Devils, heres what he as to say

https://medium.com/@iampaulmcnally/the- ... 39618d801f

User avatarwrencat1873 wrote:
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:28 pm
Posts: 15683
onlyanorthernsoul wrote:
Interesting article written recently, very poignant, for all RL. Paul McNally spent 15 seasons in the backroom at Salford Red Devils, heres what he as to say

https://medium.com/@iampaulmcnally/the- ... 39618d801f


Very interesting article.
I wish he'd given his solution though, it was just missing the EastEnders dum, dums at the end.

There is no doubt that trying to increase attendances is a very hard slog and the only "quick" way of doing something is to have some on field success.

It's no coincidence that those clubs that have won most in recent years have the best attendances, although KR did exceptionally well with numbers when they dropped to the Championship and in spite of their empty trophy cabinet, continue to get plenty through the turnstiles.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: kobashi and 89 guests

Quick Reply



Subject:
Message:

   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.

Return to The Virtual Terrace


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDTEAM
5,150,08168278,5664,559LOGIN
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
YOU HAVE RL CHAT OFF
RLFANS Match Centre
TODAY 10:50
NRL
SOUTHS
v
MELBOURNE STORM
TOMORROW 09:00
NRL
PENRITH
v
CRONULLA
TOMORROW 10:55
NRL
PARRAMATTA EELS
v
SYDNEY ROOSTERS
TOMORROW 18:00
CC2021
CATALAN DRAGONS
v
WARRINGTON
TOMORROW 19:45
 CH
SHEFFIELD
v
BATLEY BULLDOGS
TOMORROW 20:15
CC2021
ST.HELENS
v
HUDDERSFIELD
Sat 8th May 06:00
NRL
CANBERRA
v
NEWCASTLE
Sat 8th May 08:30
NRL
WESTS TIGERS
v
GOLD COAST
Sat 8th May 10:35
NRL
NQL COWBOYS
v
BRISBANE
Sat 8th May 12:45
 CH
OLDHAM
v
WHITEHAVEN
Sat 8th May 14:30
CC2021
HULL FC
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Sat 8th May 15:30
 L1
LONDON SKOLARS
v
CRUSADERS
Sat 8th May 17:00
CC2021
CASTLEFORD
v
SALFORD
Sun 9th May 05:00
NRL
MANLY
v
NZ WARRIORS
Sun 9th May 07:05
NRL
ST.GEORGE
v
CANTERBURY
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Sun 2nd May
CH RND: 4 Newcastle16-28Batley
CH RND: 4 Whitehaven22-30Bradford
CH RND: 4 Widnes46-10Swinton
CH RND: 4 Dewsbury20-30York
NRL RND: 8 NZ Warriors24-20NQL Cowboys
NRL RND: 8 St.George8-16Wests
WSL RND: 2 WiganW38-0BradfordW
WSL RND: 2 St.HelensW90-0Hudds W
WSL RND: 2 FeatherstoneW0-72LeedsW
WSL RND: 2 WakefieldW0-44CastlefordW
SL RND: 5 Huddersfield14-13Leeds
Sat 1st May
CH RND: 4 Oldham16-12Halifax
CH RND: 4 Sheffield20-20LondonB
NRL RND: 8 Penrith28-16Manly
NRL RND: 8 Canterbury10-32Parramatta
NRL RND: 8 Newcastle4-38Sydney
SL RND: 5 Warrington50-26Hull KR
Fri 30th Apr
NRL RND: 8 Melbourne40-14Cronulla
NRL RND: 8 Brisbane36-28Gold Coast
SL RND: 5 Wakefield18-38Catalans
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
National Rugby League 2021 ROUND : 8
 PLDFADIFFPNTS
Penrith 8 212 60 152 16
Parramatta 8 229 106 123 14
Souths 8 235 124 111 14
Sydney 8 236 92 144 12
Melbourne 8 242 108 134 12
NZ Warriors 8 157 178 -21 8
 
St.George 8 161 157 4 8
Canberra 8 157 185 -28 6
Newcastle 8 137 204 -67 6
Gold Coast 8 182 191 -9 6
NQL Cowboys 8 146 237 -91 6
Manly 8 139 202 -63 6
Cronulla 8 152 178 -26 4
Brisbane 8 122 221 -99 4
Wests 8 130 226 -96 4
Canterbury 8 80 248 -168 2
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Super League XXVI ROUND : 5
 PLDFADIFFPNTSDIFFWP%
St.Helens 5 128 34 94 10 376.47 100.00
Wigan 5 111 56 55 10 198.21 100.00
Castleford 5 131 78 53 8 167.95 80.00
Catalans 5 137 86 51 8 159.30 80.00
Hull FC 5 105 58 47 7 181.03 70.00
Warrington 5 144 81 63 7 177.78 70.00
 
Hull KR 5 105 134 -29 4 78.36 40.00
Huddersfield 5 68 98 -30 2 69.39 20.00
Leeds 5 63 99 -36 2 63.64 20.00
Salford 5 68 142 -74 2 47.89 20.00
Wakefield 5 66 154 -88 0 42.86 0.00
Leigh 5 66 172 -106 0 38.37 0.00
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Championship 2021 ROUND : 4
 PLDFADIFFPNTSDIFFWP%
Featherstone 3 112 38 74 6 294.74 100.00
Toulouse 3 89 40 49 6 222.50 100.00
Batley 4 142 70 72 6 202.86 75.00
Bradford 4 104 112 -8 6 92.86 75.00
Sheffield 4 106 70 36 5 151.43 62.50
York 4 114 77 37 4 148.05 50.00
 
Dewsbury 4 73 87 -14 4 83.91 50.00
Oldham 4 78 120 -42 4 65.00 50.00
Widnes 4 106 110 -4 3 96.36 37.50
Newcastle 4 90 103 -13 3 87.38 37.50
LondonB 4 74 115 -41 3 64.35 37.50
Halifax 4 119 101 18 2 117.82 25.00
Whitehaven 4 73 115 -42 2 63.48 25.00
Swinton 4 52 174 -122 0 29.89 0.00
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred League One 2021 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPNTS
Workington 0 0 0 0 0
Hunslet 0 0 0 0 0
Crusaders 0 0 0 0 0
Rochdale 0 0 0 0 0
Barrow 0 0 0 0 0
LondonS 0 0 0 0 0
 
West Wales 0 0 0 0 0
Doncaster 0 0 0 0 0
Keighley 0 0 0 0 0
Coventry 0 0 0 0 0
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Womens Super League 2021 ROUND : 2
 PLDFADIFFPNTS
St.HelensW 2 176 0 176 4
LeedsW 2 140 16 124 4
WiganW 2 90 8 82 4
CastlefordW 2 84 6 78 4
Hudds W 1 0 90 -90 0
WakefieldW 1 0 44 -44 0
 
FeatherstoneW 2 6 112 -106 0
Wire W 1 8 52 -44 0
YorkW 1 16 68 -52 0
BradfordW 2 0 124 -124 0
RLFANS Recent Posts




X