WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - 2019 predictions
Re: 2019 predictions
Post Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:43 am
Posted by rollin thunder on Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:43 am
rollin thunder Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 511
Rep Position: 24th / 77,790

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:25 pm
Posts: 3259
Towns88 wrote:
Cas finished 3rd last year with gale missing for over half the year. Jacob Trueman will be the main man. I've no idea where we will finish but I don't think we will fall off a cliff.

i think regardless of Gale or not Cas 5-6 i reckon, think y=there bubble has burst, they had their big chance in 2017 and blew it, don't think they will be up there again this year, there average squad over achieved and peaked, and good for them but other sides look stronger this year.they may get a shot in CC if draw is favouable.

Warrington
saints
Wigan
Leeds
Catalan
Cas
Hull Kr
Huddersfield
Hull
Wakefield
London
Salford
Re: 2019 predictions
Post Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:56 am
Posted by little wayne69 on Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:56 am
little wayne69 Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 449
Rep Position: 36th / 77,790

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:45 pm
Posts: 1055
1-St Helens
2-Warrington
3-Wigan
4-Wakefield
5-Catalans
6-Castleford
7-Hull KR
8-Leeds
9-Hull FC
10-Huddersfield
11-Salford
12-London
Re: 2019 predictions
Post Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:07 pm
Posted by nottinghamtiger on Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:07 pm
nottinghamtiger Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 201
Rep Position: 116th / 77,790

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:20 pm
Posts: 2572
rollin thunder wrote:
i think regardless of Gale or not Cas 5-6 i reckon, think y=there bubble has burst, they had their big chance in 2017 and blew it, don't think they will be up there again this year, there average squad over achieved and peaked, and good for them but other sides look stronger this year.they may get a shot in CC if draw is favouable.


As always though, there’s a different spin. Cas have a squad of players who have proven then can finish in the top 5 consistently since 2014. Whilst other clubs have recruited some good players on paper, the game is played on grass. Plenty of “big name” Aussies have come to SL and done absolutely nothing,
There’s an argument that Saints and Wigan are not as good as they were in 2018.
Saints have lost the Man of Steel and signed players who are coming from the other side of the world - there’s no guarantee they will settle and perform. Wigan have lost Wane and two of their best players in Tomkins and Bateman. They’ve signed a half who has flopped in SL before at every club he’s played for. And a full-back who has been thrown out of his two previous SL clubs, been out of the game and during that time has become dependant on alcohol (and perhaps other substances).
Leeds look stronger, but again it will depend of how their recruits settle and perform. Trent Merrin should improve their pack, but the others are pretty ordinary to be honest. They seem to have spent their money on their back-line, but if they get smashed in the forwards every week it’s going to be difficult for their backs to get any kind of platform to work from. They’ve also lost one of the game’s best wingers.
Yet again, Warrington have put all their eggs in one basket with Austin. Time will tell if it works out better than their previous star signings. Also worth remembering that whatever he offers in attack, Austin is an absolute liability in defence. Just as he was in the NRL, he’s going to be targeted mercilessly.
Obviously, I’m making a point, but let’s remmeber that there’s a lot to be said for consistency.
Re: 2019 predictions
Post Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:18 pm
Posted by ThePrinter on Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:18 pm
ThePrinter Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 645
Rep Position: 17th / 77,790

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:19 pm
Posts: 11412
Location: Behind the picket fence on the grassy knoll in Dealey Plaza, Dallas, Texas.
As much as Cas and Wakefield have competed well in the last 2 years, when other teams have got it right they’ve done better. Wigan and Warrington got it wrong in 2017 but when they got it right in 2018 they won a GF and reach both finals between them. Leeds and Hull got it wrong in 2018 but when they got it right they won the GF and CC between them. Whilst one bad year each their best was still better than 2 5th place finishes and the worst GF showing ever.

Can these smaller clubs rely on 2 of the bigger clubs flopping every year? Unlikely, when the bigger clubs get it right they do better and for various reasons they’ve had their problems in recent seasons, don’t think they will this year.
"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection."

23/08/2014
Re: 2019 predictions
Post Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:46 pm
Posted by Cokey on Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:46 pm
Cokey User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 836
Rep Position: 6th / 77,790

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:58 pm
Posts: 5864
Location: Across The Universe....... Jai guru deva om - Nothings gonna change my world.
Warrington
Saints
Wakefield
Wigan
Cas
Leeds
Hull Kr
Catalans
Huddersfield
Hull
Salford
London
Image
Re: 2019 predictions
Post Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:31 pm
Posted by Clearwing on Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:31 pm
Clearwing User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 529
Rep Position: 23rd / 77,790

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:11 am
Posts: 7279
Saints
Wigan
Wire
Leeds
Catalans
Cas
Wakey
Hull KR
Hull
Hudds
Salford
London

Pies GF winners, Wire CC winners
"The problem when you play Leeds is that they are a huge 'confidence' side. If you get on top of them, they will cower and go away, but when they get in front their chests puff out and they start whooping as they make tackles. " (Jon Wilkin)

“Leeds just wander around looking like they’re doing nothing” (Jon Wilkin)

"Jon Wilkin's tight pants and coffee shop have not helped him to see the bigger picture or allowed him to get a firm grip on reality." (leeds owl)
Re: 2019 predictions
Post Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:00 pm
Posted by homme vaste on Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:00 pm
homme vaste User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 394
Rep Position: 43rd / 77,790

Quiz Score: 184

Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:11 pm
Posts: 1280
Location: Tomorrowland
ThePrinter wrote:
As much as Cas and Wakefield have competed well in the last 2 years, when other teams have got it right they’ve done better. Wigan and Warrington got it wrong in 2017 but when they got it right in 2018 they won a GF and reach both finals between them. Leeds and Hull got it wrong in 2018 but when they got it right they won the GF and CC between them. Whilst one bad year each their best was still better than 2 5th place finishes and the worst GF showing ever.

Can these smaller clubs rely on 2 of the bigger clubs flopping every year? Unlikely, when the bigger clubs get it right they do better and for various reasons they’ve had their problems in recent seasons, don’t think they will this year.


What are you talking about rely on other clubs flopping? They finished above those teams because they played better than them teams throughout the year? You can talk about clubs flopping all you want they are facts... This is a salary capped sport, meaning that on the field every team is on a level pegging throughout (Yes we spend below the cap, but that is our own clubs fault so in my eyes we cant moan about that).

I can see how you might come up with that argument for Wakefield, even if I do disagree with it but to Cas have been playing quality rugby for the past 4 or 5 years and building.. seriously? Get of your pedestal, throwing a shed load of money at a few aussies has brought you back out of the wood work all of a sudden, outside of those players your squad is bang average imo, your 2 best players last season were Hall and Moon and they have gone leaving you heavily reliant on 3 overseas players and a new coach... the likelihood is you wont be as good as Cas next year, I dont think you will be anywhere near them if I am honest, and there is a good chance you wont finish above Wakefield either.
Re: 2019 predictions
Post Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:37 pm
Posted by ThePrinter on Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:37 pm
ThePrinter Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 645
Rep Position: 17th / 77,790

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:19 pm
Posts: 11412
Location: Behind the picket fence on the grassy knoll in Dealey Plaza, Dallas, Texas.
homme vaste wrote:
What are you talking about rely on other clubs flopping? They finished above those teams because they played better than them teams throughout the year? You can talk about clubs flopping all you want they are facts... This is a salary capped sport, meaning that on the field every team is on a level pegging throughout (Yes we spend below the cap, but that is our own clubs fault so in my eyes we cant moan about that).

I can see how you might come up with that argument for Wakefield, even if I do disagree with it but to Cas have been playing quality rugby for the past 4 or 5 years and building.. seriously? Get of your pedestal, throwing a shed load of money at a few aussies has brought you back out of the wood work all of a sudden, outside of those players your squad is bang average imo, your 2 best players last season were Hall and Moon and they have gone leaving you heavily reliant on 3 overseas players and a new coach... the likelihood is you wont be as good as Cas next year, I dont think you will be anywhere near them if I am honest, and there is a good chance you wont finish above Wakefield either.


Moon wasn’t anywhere near our best 2 players last year and Hall whilst a great player didn’t get any service.

You and others can claim the Leeds squad is bang average.....YET most of them have Grand Final rings and that’s a FACT and reality is only Wigan can match that claim.

Of our top 20...12 of them are Grand Finals winners and of the other 8 you have 2 Tongan internationals and an Aussie international and NRL GF winner......does your or other teams have that proven ability to win the main prize?
"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection."

23/08/2014
Re: 2019 predictions
Post Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:48 pm
Posted by homme vaste on Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:48 pm
homme vaste User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 394
Rep Position: 43rd / 77,790

Quiz Score: 184

Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:11 pm
Posts: 1280
Location: Tomorrowland
ThePrinter wrote:
Moon wasn’t anywhere near our best 2 players last year and Hall whilst a great player didn’t get any service.

You and others can claim the Leeds squad is bang average.....YET most of them have Grand Final rings and that’s a FACT and reality is only Wigan can match that claim.

Of our top 20...12 of them are Grand Finals winners and of the other 8 you have 2 Tongan internationals and an Aussie international and NRL GF winner......does your or other teams have that proven ability to win the main prize?


What does a grand final tell you about individual players? Before you answer that question just remember Ryan Bailey has 6 of them... A very successful team carried by the likes of Danny Mag, Robbie Burrows, Sinfield etc... Now you are panic buying, throwing cash around hoping to fix something up.... Throwing money at a player that didn`t even want to come to England in the first place! That would ring alarm bells for me. I rated JJB now he is getting old and slowing down, Stevie Ward is a great player if you can get him on the field and playing, It is a risk putting a lot of hope and pressure on 3 big signings for me when you could have taken a whole different approach.
Re: 2019 predictions
Post Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:56 pm
Posted by Cokey on Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:56 pm
Cokey User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 836
Rep Position: 6th / 77,790

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:58 pm
Posts: 5864
Location: Across The Universe....... Jai guru deva om - Nothings gonna change my world.
Image
Image
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Zulu01 and 91 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to The Virtual Terrace


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,940,30665977,7904,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
TODAY 04:00
NRL
SYDNEY ROOSTERS
v
NZ WARRIORS
TODAY 07:05
NRL
CRONULLA
v
ST.GEORGE
TODAY 13:00
WSL
WAKEFIELDW
v
BRADFORDW
TODAY 14:00
WSL
WIGANW
v
YORKW
TODAY 14:00
WSL
FEATHERSTONEW
v
ST.HELENSW
TODAY 15:00
SLXXIV
HUDDERSFIELD
v
CASTLEFORD
TODAY 15:00
SLXXIV
HULL KR
v
WAKEFIELD
TODAY 15:00
 CH
DEWSBURY RAMS
v
BRADFORD BULLS
TODAY 15:00
 CH
SHEFFIELD
v
BARROW RAIDERS
TODAY 15:00
 CH
LEIGH
v
WIDNES VIKINGS
TODAY 15:00
 CH
SWINTON LIONS
v
HALIFAX
TODAY 15:00
 CH
YORK
v
FEATHERSTONE
TODAY 15:00
 CH1
KEIGHLEY
v
WHITEHAVEN
TODAY 15:00
 CH1
NEWCASTLE
v
COVENTRY BEARS
TODAY 15:00
 CH1
OLDHAM
v
DONCASTER
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)






2