WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Tom Johnstone
Re: Tom Johnstone
Post Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:55 pm
Posted by ThePrinter on Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:55 pm
ThePrinter Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 645
Rep Position: 17th / 77,787

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:19 pm
Posts: 11412
Location: Behind the picket fence on the grassy knoll in Dealey Plaza, Dallas, Texas.
Shifty Cat wrote:
But the point is it's not the be all and end all, otherwise, we'd have players from just 4 clubs playing from SL for England at any one time.

Seriously I'm not sure why people are getting bent out of shape on this. If you watch the lad, you can see how good he is, he doesn't have to win the Grand final to show that does he. It's also not as if Trinity hasn't been playing near the top of the table the past couple of in close good games against the top team at the time. Do you see him not performing say if Trinity makes the top 4, like they were so close to last year, and get a Semifinal or dare I say it a Final because I don't? He tends to excel against the better teams rather than disappear.

Ateotd I'm not calling for any changes, just acknowledging like yourself the lad has a very good chance if fit.


No one is getting bent out of shape just providing a proper counter argument. Not actually dismissing his claims to be picked for England but it’s not like the other wingers don’t have really strong cases too.

Playing in the biggest games isn’t the be all and end all BUT at the same time it does provide huge experience. If Wakey made the Cup Final and their was a 50/50 choice in one position between an experienced player and a rookie would you dismiss the experience factor?

He had one year where he really could come in contention to be picked in 2016 and it was hardly harsh to be left out to the likes of Hall and McGillivary especially at the age of 21 then, how many play at England at that age? Even if he plays this Autumn he’s younger than a lot of players who get their first cap for England.
"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection."

23/08/2014
Re: Tom Johnstone
Post Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:14 pm
Posted by Shifty Cat on Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:14 pm
Shifty Cat User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 362
Rep Position: 52nd / 77,787

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:27 pm
Posts: 5176
ThePrinter wrote:
No one is getting bent out of shape just providing a proper counter argument. Not actually dismissing his claims to be picked for England but it’s not like the other wingers don’t have really strong cases too.

Playing in the biggest games isn’t the be all and end all BUT at the same time it does provide huge experience. If Wakey made the Cup Final and their was a 50/50 choice in one position between an experienced player and a rookie would you dismiss the experience factor?

He had one year where he really could come in contention to be picked in 2016 and it was hardly harsh to be left out to the likes of Hall and McGillivary especially at the age of 21 then, how many play at England at that age? Even if he plays this Autumn he’s younger than a lot of players who get their first cap for England
.


The getting bent out of shape comment is more to do with the arsey comments & rhetoric of, he's got to play for a top team, that's been trotted out not just in this thread but anytime his name comes up.

Also, I'm not generally arguing with what you say, am I. I acknowledge he's behind the current duo and should be in the running when the time comes if fit as you agree with, that's really it. I just argue that being in a GF etc shouldn't stop a good player getting picked because of the team he plays for, it may add to his experience and CV though. Like I've also said, players have been picked wrongly over the years because of just that, because of the team they represent.

Tbh I don't think he was quite ready in 2016, his defence, although sometimes it's down to the centre why you can look daft, wasn't on par with his attack, especially for international level. Not that surprising though seeing as he's just made the breakthrough to play pro RL. but it's vastly improved imo since then

Anyway, if he gets picked it'll be because Wayne Bennett thinks he's good enough and that's good enough for me. If he doesn't that's also good enough and he'll have to bide his time.
Re: Tom Johnstone
Post Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:08 am
Posted by Asgardian13 on Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:08 am
Asgardian13 User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 134
Rep Position: 162nd / 77,787

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:13 pm
Posts: 3587
Location: Northamptonshire
vastman wrote:
What’s that got to do with anything?


I do apologise. I made the fundamental error of replying to the original post: The best winger England have had for 18 months and still no England Cap.
Two Music Week Top 10s for Ryker Sear last year. Stand by for more in 2018
Re: Tom Johnstone
Post Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:17 am
Posted by Asgardian13 on Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:17 am
Asgardian13 User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 134
Rep Position: 162nd / 77,787

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:13 pm
Posts: 3587
Location: Northamptonshire
Shifty Cat wrote:
The getting bent out of shape comment is more to do with the arsey comments & rhetoric of, he's got to play for a top team, that's been trotted out not just in this thread but anytime his name comes up.

Also, I'm not generally arguing with what you say, am I. I acknowledge he's behind the current duo and should be in the running when the time comes if fit as you agree with, that's really it. I just argue that being in a GF etc shouldn't stop a good player getting picked because of the team he plays for, it may add to his experience and CV though. Like I've also said, players have been picked wrongly over the years because of just that, because of the team they represent.

Tbh I don't think he was quite ready in 2016, his defence, although sometimes it's down to the centre why you can look daft, wasn't on par with his attack, especially for international level. Not that surprising though seeing as he's just made the breakthrough to play pro RL. but it's vastly improved imo since then

Anyway, if he gets picked it'll be because Wayne Bennett thinks he's good enough and that's good enough for me. If he doesn't that's also good enough and he'll have to bide his time.

Clearly its easier to catch the eye if you're playing in Cup finals etc. However, wingers like the great Dessie Drummond played international RL while at perpetual mid-tablers Leigh.
Two Music Week Top 10s for Ryker Sear last year. Stand by for more in 2018
Re: Tom Johnstone
Post Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:08 am
Posted by MattyB on Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:08 am
MattyB User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 203
Rep Position: 114th / 77,787

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:31 pm
Posts: 18368
Asgardian13 wrote:
Clearly its easier to catch the eye if you're playing in Cup finals etc. However, wingers like the great Dessie Drummond played international RL while at perpetual mid-tablers Leigh.


Drummond won the First Division Championship early in his career with Leigh (1981 IIRC), from then he was picked for GB.
WIGAN RLFC - SL ERA

WORLD CLUB CHAMPIONS 2017

SUPER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 1998, 2010, 2013, 2016 & 2018

CHALLENGE CUP FINAL WINNERS 2002, 2011 & 2013

LEAGUE LEADERS CHAMPIONS 2010 & 2012

ACADEMY GRAND FINAL WINNERS 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017 & 2018

WOMEN’S GRAND FINAL WINNERS 2018

BEST SUPPORTED CLUB OF THE YEAR 2010, 2011 & 2012

CLUB OF THE YEAR 2010 & 2012



Re: Tom Johnstone
Post Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:35 am
Posted by Cokey on Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:35 am
Cokey User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 836
Rep Position: 6th / 77,787

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:58 pm
Posts: 5858
Location: Across The Universe....... Jai guru deva om - Nothings gonna change my world.
MattyB wrote:
Drummond won the First Division Championship early in his career with Leigh (1981 IIRC), from then he was picked for GB.


Correct Matty.
Image
Re: Tom Johnstone
Post Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:05 am
Posted by Clearwing on Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:05 am
Clearwing User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 529
Rep Position: 23rd / 77,787

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:11 am
Posts: 7279
McGilvary's team is hardly one of the glamour ones. Johnstone'll be picked if he's deemed good enough.
"The problem when you play Leeds is that they are a huge 'confidence' side. If you get on top of them, they will cower and go away, but when they get in front their chests puff out and they start whooping as they make tackles. " (Jon Wilkin)

“Leeds just wander around looking like they’re doing nothing” (Jon Wilkin)

"Jon Wilkin's tight pants and coffee shop have not helped him to see the bigger picture or allowed him to get a firm grip on reality." (leeds owl)
Re: Tom Johnstone
Post Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:16 am
Posted by tigertot on Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:16 am
tigertot User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 538
Rep Position: 21st / 77,787

Quiz Score: 308

Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2001 12:04 pm
Posts: 16671
Location: Olicana - Home of 'Vark Slayer
ThePrinter wrote:
Because playing in the biggest games like GF’s and CCF’s and SF’s are massive experiences that shouldn’t be dismissed when you’re facing the likes of Australia and New Zealand.


Correct. Greg 'Rolling Thunder' Eden it is.
The best things in life are not things.
A member of the victorious liberal metropolitan elite.
Re: Tom Johnstone
Post Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:14 pm
Posted by wrencat1873 on Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:14 pm
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 1008
Rep Position: 2nd / 77,787

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:28 pm
Posts: 11766
tigertot wrote:
Correct. Greg 'Rolling Thunder' Eden it is.
:lol:

Come on, Johnstone could get past him in a phone box, without Eden laying a finger on him.
Eden is ok and scored plenty last season but, just as Solomona and Carney showed, playing on the left wing at Cas give you plenty of chances and now that he's playing elsewhere, Carney is no longer ripping it up.
Re: Tom Johnstone
Post Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:42 pm
Posted by tigertot on Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:42 pm
tigertot User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 538
Rep Position: 21st / 77,787

Quiz Score: 308

Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2001 12:04 pm
Posts: 16671
Location: Olicana - Home of 'Vark Slayer
wrencat1873 wrote:
:lol:

Come on, Johnstone could get past him in a phone box, without Eden laying a finger on him.
Eden is ok and scored plenty last season but, just as Solomona and Carney showed, playing on the left wing at Cas give you plenty of chances and now that he's playing elsewhere, Carney is no longer ripping it up.


You're on drugs man. Cement Eden would knock Johnstone & the phone box into next week. Then pull his bird.

You are correct on one thing though. If Johnstone got the service Cas's left wingers get he would score twice as many. I've said before, rarely does he seem to get quality ball from his centre. It's usually from scraps he picks up, a kick or speculative long ball.

A poor man's James Clare.
The best things in life are not things.
A member of the victorious liberal metropolitan elite.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Charlie Sheen, Highlander, MattyB, Nothus, reffy, rollin thunder, Trainman, wakeytrin and 157 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to The Virtual Terrace


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,939,8701,55177,7874,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
 Full Time (Hover Score) 
NRL
NEWCASTLE
42-6
NQL COWBOYS
TODAY 08:30
NRL
MELBOURNE STORM
v
CANBERRA
TODAY 10:35
NRL
SOUTHS
v
CANTERBURY
TODAY 13:00
WSL
LEEDSW
v
CASTLEFORDW
TODAY 15:00
 CH1
WEST WALES
v
CRUSADERS
TODAY 17:00
SLXXIV
HULL FC
v
SALFORD
TODAY 17:00
SLXXIV
CATALAN DRAGONS
v
LONDON BRONCOS
TODAY 18:00
 CH
TORONTO
v
ROCHDALE
TODAY 19:00
 CH
TOULOUSE
v
BATLEY BULLDOGS
TOMORROW 04:00
NRL
SYDNEY ROOSTERS
v
NZ WARRIORS
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)






2