WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Tom Johnstone
Re: Tom Johnstone
Post Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:39 pm
Posted by Clearwing on Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:39 pm
Clearwing User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 582
Rep Position: 23rd / 77,889

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:11 am
Posts: 7459
vastman wrote:
Please provide a link to this stat please and we can then examine it.


http://www.rugby-league.com/superleague ... ayer_stats
"Look, I'd never use injuries as an excuse..." Daryl Powell
Re: Tom Johnstone
Post Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:47 pm
Posted by Hangerman2 on Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:47 pm
Hangerman2 Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 120
Rep Position: 184th / 77,889

Quiz Score: 28

Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:21 pm
Posts: 299
vastman wrote:
What a crock of crap - it's nothing to do with Trinity it's very simple Johnstone is the best in form winger in SL and more than worthy of consideration END OF!!!

English fans need to grow uo and stop with the big club small club crap which in fairness all eminates from Leeds, Wigan and Saints fans who seem terrified of losing the 'status' as they see it.

International players are all about the individual not the team they play for - it's there form that counts not that of the team they play for.


It's not only posters from the big clubs who are tired of Trinity fans claiming the world is against them, and they get no consideration because they are a small club (i'm a Huddersfield fan) . McGillvary got picked from our 'small club' because he was good enough, END OF! Anyway, thanks for bringing Johnstone to our attention i'm sure we will be signing him soon like we do most of your players who show promise and can offload some past his prime player in the other direction. We have a great soon to be 36 year old halfback i'm sure you will be wanting to snap up in exchange!!
Re: Tom Johnstone
Post Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:48 pm
Posted by wrencat1873 on Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:48 pm
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 1133
Rep Position: 2nd / 77,889

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:28 pm
Posts: 12432
tigertot wrote:
Matty Smith is the prime example.


Indeed, clearly no club bias there :lol:
Re: Tom Johnstone
Post Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:02 pm
Posted by Shifty Cat on Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:02 pm
Shifty Cat User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 367
Rep Position: 60th / 77,889

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:27 pm
Posts: 5340
Hangerman2 wrote:
It's not only posters from the big clubs who are tired of Trinity fans claiming the world is against them, and they get no consideration because they are a small club (i'm a Huddersfield fan) . McGillvary got picked from our 'small club' because he was good enough, END OF! Anyway, thanks for bringing Johnstone to our attention i'm sure we will be signing him soon like we do most of your players who show promise and can offload some past his prime player in the other direction. We have a great soon to be 36 year old halfback i'm sure you will be wanting to snap up in exchange!!

Funnily enough, he got picked for England when he first topped the SL try charts and got in the dream team in 2015, see if the same happens with Tom. :wink:

As for stats, the table below is about as good as you're going to get because it gives points and takes them away for each category, like meters made and missed tackles etc.

https://www.sldreamteam.co.uk/players?position=2&order=matchTotal&dir=asc
Re: Tom Johnstone
Post Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:13 pm
Posted by Shifty Cat on Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:13 pm
Shifty Cat User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 367
Rep Position: 60th / 77,889

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:27 pm
Posts: 5340
Clearwing wrote:
http://www.rugby-league.com/superleague/stats/player_stats

Also shows Ryan Hall has missed 24 of his 64 tackles & McGillvary has missed 19 of his 43, what can we take out of that? Johnstone has a better percentage rate than the current internationals, Hall 37% missed, McGillvary 44, or that stats don't tell you everything.
Re: Tom Johnstone
Post Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:21 pm
Posted by Fully on Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:21 pm
Fully User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 69
Rep Position: 233rd / 77,889

Quiz Score: 28

Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:04 pm
Posts: 8487
Shifty Cat wrote:
Funnily enough, he got picked for England when he first topped the SL try charts and got in the dream team in 2015, see if the same happens with Tom. :wink:

As for stats, the table below is about as good as you're going to get because it gives points and takes them away for each category, like meters made and missed tackles etc.

https://www.sldreamteam.co.uk/players?position=2&order=matchTotal&dir=asc


No system is perfect and this doesn't take into account missed games, positional changes and I'm not sure all factors are weighted the same either.

Based on that the England team would be (taking into account form and games played)

Lomax
Johnstone
Percival
Lyne
Makinson
Williams
Mellor
Thompson
Clark
Hill
Bateman
Ashurst
LMS
Image
Re: Tom Johnstone
Post Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:26 pm
Posted by Shifty Cat on Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:26 pm
Shifty Cat User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 367
Rep Position: 60th / 77,889

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:27 pm
Posts: 5340
Fully wrote:
No system is perfect and this doesn't take into account missed games, positional changes and I'm not sure all factors are weighted the same either.

Based on that the England team would be (taking into account form and games played)

Lomax
Johnstone
Percival
Lyne
Makinson
Williams
Mellor
Thompson
Clark
Hill
Bateman
Ashurst
LMS

I agree about stats have limitations because of the points you made, that's why I picked that table which actually accounted and took away for aspects of the game where you excel and don't in others, but it's about the best we currently have. As for that potential England team, you'd have to also include the NRL players which quite a number of those would drop out for & then it wouldn't be that far off with 6 internationals in there already. Sl Dream team though it wouldn't be far off except for the foreign players that might make it.
Re: Tom Johnstone
Post Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:49 pm
Posted by steadygetyerboots-on on Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:49 pm
steadygetyerboots-on Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 67
Rep Position: 235th / 77,889

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:39 pm
Posts: 1142
Location: Working in the belly of the beast!
Shifty Cat wrote:
Funnily enough, he got picked for England when he first topped the SL try charts and got in the dream team in 2015, see if the same happens with Tom. :wink:

As for stats, the table below is about as good as you're going to get because it gives points and takes them away for each category, like meters made and missed tackles etc.

https://www.sldreamteam.co.uk/players?position=2&order=matchTotal&dir=asc


Do you know if ‘games played’ is reflected in that table? If not would it be as simple as the points divided by games played for an average score?
"Stand by me as I stand by you, be brave and dare to dream".
Re: Tom Johnstone
Post Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:29 pm
Posted by Clearwing on Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:29 pm
Clearwing User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 582
Rep Position: 23rd / 77,889

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:11 am
Posts: 7459
Shifty Cat wrote:
Also shows Ryan Hall has missed 24 of his 64 tackles & McGillvary has missed 19 of his 43, what can we take out of that? Johnstone has a better percentage rate than the current internationals, Hall 37% missed, McGillvary 44, or that stats don't tell you everything.


Take what you want out of it. Vastman asked for a link, I provided it. I didn't bother checking Johnstone's tackling stats as I'm more interested in a winger's attacking prowess. TJ seems to do ok on that score and I'd have no problem if he got the GB call.
"Look, I'd never use injuries as an excuse..." Daryl Powell
Re: Tom Johnstone
Post Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:20 pm
Posted by Shifty Cat on Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:20 pm
Shifty Cat User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 367
Rep Position: 60th / 77,889

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:27 pm
Posts: 5340
Clearwing wrote:
Take what you want out of it. Vastman asked for a link, I provided it. I didn't bother checking Johnstone's tackling stats as I'm more interested in a winger's attacking prowess. TJ seems to do ok on that score and I'd have no problem if he got the GB call.

I know you did mate, I should have replied to the dude who brought up the missed tackles point but he's a plonker. So I just added my point under your link. :thumb:
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Azul, GeoffRoebuck, Grimmy, JEAN CAPDOUZE, Jethro Gibbs, Jimbo_Returns, Kevs Head, Marcus Notsquare, Matt01, Psychedelic Casual, tigertot, Two Points, West Walian, wotsupcas and 211 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to The Virtual Terrace


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,978,3632,07677,8894,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
Thu 30th Jan 19:45
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
WARRINGTON
Fri 31st Jan 19:45
SL
HULL KR
v
WAKEFIELD
Fri 31st Jan 19:45
SL
ST.HELENS
v
SALFORD
Sat 1st Feb 17:00
SL
CATALAN DRAGONS
v
HUDDERSFIELD
Sun 2nd Feb 14:30
SL
TORONTO
v
CASTLEFORD
Sun 2nd Feb 16:45
SL
LEEDS RHINOS
v
HULL FC
Thu 6th Feb 19:45
SL
WARRINGTON
v
ST.HELENS
Fri 7th Feb 19:45
SL
CASTLEFORD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Fri 7th Feb 19:45
SL
HULL FC
v
HULL KR
Sat 8th Feb 14:00
SL
SALFORD
v
TORONTO
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)





2