WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Who will replace Widnes: Toronto, Toulouse or London?

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace Who will replace Widnes: Toronto, Toulouse or London?

Posted by Kevs Head on Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:35 am
Kevs Head Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 33
Rep Position: 269th / 77,889

Quiz Score: 0

wire-flyer wrote:
Was the existence of a canadian based team vital for the future of RL, say, 20 years ago? Why now all of a sudden? We wouldn't even be talking about a canadian based team if some rich guy hadn't decided to create one off his own back a couple of years ago.

Exactly! It’s aimless, headless chicken stuff that illustrates perfectly the total lack of any strategic thinking or planning by the RFL/SL over the last 20 years.
I personally hope that Toronto do well but please don’t anyone mistake them doing well for a development strategy.
Posted by Lebron James on Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:20 am
Lebron James Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 204
Rep Position: 128th / 77,889

wire-flyer wrote:
Was the existence of a canadian based team vital for the future of RL, say, 20 years ago? Why now all of a sudden? We wouldn't even be talking about a canadian based team if some rich guy hadn't decided to create one off his own back a couple of years ago.

Because Rugby league is in terminal decline over here. If Sky pull out, I would say 50% at least of SL clubs would shut their doors tomorrow. Certain clubs over here have done nothing but leach a living off the back of the bigger clubs which is why we are at a crossroads and are facing an existential threat to our game. Exploring new avenues is essential because most of the current SL teams offer nothing to the future of RL and have done nothing to help bring RL out of the sporting gutter. WIll Toronto or Toulouse offer anything? Who knows but they at least deserve a chance as some of the wasters in SL have had a century and still cant get it right

Regards

King James
Superleague Titles
Warrington Wolfs - 0
Wakefield Trinity - 0
Leigh Centurions - 0

Budgiezilla wrote:
Surely it can only be a player from Catalans. Probably the best RL side I have ever witnessed in this season's comp.
Posted by Willzay on Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:08 pm
Willzay User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 795
Rep Position: 10th / 77,889

If you think Toronto's inclusion would stop Sky from pulling the rug, then your deluded.
Id clean up RLFANS in 5 minutes.

Troll hitlist :

Jean Capdouze

Sir Kev/My Mate Ronnie

Lebron/Ruune Rebellion

Jonno
Posted by wrencat1873 on Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:47 pm
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 1133
Rep Position: 2nd / 77,889

Lebron James wrote:
Because Rugby league is in terminal decline over here. If Sky pull out, I would say 50% at least of SL clubs would shut their doors tomorrow. Certain clubs over here have done nothing but leach a living off the back of the bigger clubs which is why we are at a crossroads and are facing an existential threat to our game. Exploring new avenues is essential because most of the current SL teams offer nothing to the future of RL and have done nothing to help bring RL out of the sporting gutter. WIll Toronto or Toulouse offer anything? Who knows but they at least deserve a chance as some of the wasters in SL have had a century and still cant get it right

Regards

King James

It would be interesting to know just how much marketing / research the RFL have done into how best to develop the game.
Our sport is renowned for its innovation (which translates to quick fix) and it's short sighted view of what is needed to take the sport forward and comments like the above are just typical of supporters from certain clubs, who like to blame the sports smaller clubs for "holding the game back".
What would be most interesting would be if the magic wand was waved and ALL SL clubs achieved the nadir of a 10,000 average home crowd played in modern stadia, just how much would the TV deal increase.
Equally, IF Toronto and Toulouse were included in SL and became successful, just how much would this increase the TV deal etc and its worth remembering that if SL didnt exist, Toronto would NEVER have a RL side.
Posted by Lebron James on Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:15 pm
Lebron James Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 204
Rep Position: 128th / 77,889

wrencat1873 wrote:
It would be interesting to know just how much marketing / research the RFL have done into how best to develop the game.
Our sport is renowned for its innovation (which translates to quick fix) and it's short sighted view of what is needed to take the sport forward and comments like the above are just typical of supporters from certain clubs, who like to blame the sports smaller clubs for "holding the game back".
What would be most interesting would be if the magic wand was waved and ALL SL clubs achieved the nadir of a 10,000 average home crowd played in modern stadia, just how much would the TV deal increase.
Equally, IF Toronto and Toulouse were included in SL and became successful, just how much would this increase the TV deal etc and its worth remembering that if SL didnt exist, Toronto would NEVER have a RL side.

Do you know what, in the face of EDIT. DG. CUT OUT THE PERSONAL ABUSE OTHERWISE YOU WILL HAVE POSTING RIGHTS WITHDRAWN. EDIT.who just reply with grr Toronto, this is a very measured response which raises some good points. You are obviously educated whilst the aforementioned aren’t. Except toyboy29 who has a jag

Regards

King James
Superleague Titles
Warrington Wolfs - 0
Wakefield Trinity - 0
Leigh Centurions - 0

Budgiezilla wrote:
Surely it can only be a player from Catalans. Probably the best RL side I have ever witnessed in this season's comp.
Posted by Budgiezilla on Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:14 pm
Budgiezilla User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 717
Rep Position: 16th / 77,889

Quiz Score: 224

Lebron James wrote:
Do you know what, in the face of idiots like wilzay, boytoy26, cokey and Terry Kelly who just reply with grr Toronto, this is a very measured response which raises some good points. You are obviously educated whilst the aforementioned aren’t. Except toyboy29 who has a jag

Regards

King James

Folk are interested in a sport, or they are not. Nothing can make them do otherwise. Lebron, you do not deserve my calm/sensible response, you are just a wind up merchant....and you know it.
Nice of you to visit the Leigh forum with your usual type of post. Come on Widnes !!!! :ROCKS:
"I know you've had a bad day, but there's no need to take it out on me"
Posted by atomic on Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:38 am
atomic User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 435
Rep Position: 46th / 77,889

PC Plum wrote:
At least Toronto, Toulouse and London give the game a different dimension and something to talk about. Without their distraction, we would be talking about a sport at the top level dying on its booty, year on year on year.

If London gave a different dimension to the game,they would still be in SL. We have Catalans who have been wrapped in cotton wool for a decade,but you fail to mention them. But you think the inclusion of Toulouse will benefit who?

Now Toronto gives a different dimension! In what way? No TV contract, no North Americans included in the squad,no youth developement, no additional teams added for 2019.

Thank goodness for the M62 corridor, as the above will be long gone before Stott Hall Farm.
Posted by wrencat1873 on Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:58 am
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 1133
Rep Position: 2nd / 77,889

Lebron James wrote:
Do you know what, in the face of EDIT. DG. CUT OUT THE PERSONAL ABUSE OTHERWISE YOU WILL HAVE POSTING RIGHTS WITHDRAWN. EDIT.who just reply with grr Toronto, this is a very measured response which raises some good points. You are obviously educated whilst the aforementioned aren’t. Except toyboy29 who has a jag

Regards

King James

And yet you havent offered any answer to the post.

Just to simplify the question:
How much will the broadcasting deal increase IF every SL club manages 10k average attendance and ALL SL clubs play in modern "fit for purpose" stadia ?

Any/ all of the expansion brigade feel free to answer.
Posted by EastHullUTR on Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:50 am
EastHullUTR User avatar
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 69
Rep Position: 233rd / 77,889

Just me who thinks (Seriously) Leigh are better for SL then Toulouse. Leigh have a state of the art modern stadium with a strong fan base that could realistically get up to the 5/6k mark in super league (I may be off with that number) and Toulouse play out of some farm in the middle of no where and barely have any fans. Seems to me they're only deemed 'good for the game' because they are French.
"Never forget the people who love you... The Supporters" Roger Millward MBE 1947-2016
Hull Kingston Rovers, Hull's number one club
Posted by Sir Kevin Sinfield on Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:33 pm
Sir Kevin Sinfield Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 786
Rep Position: 11th / 77,889

EastHullUTR wrote:
Just me who thinks (Seriously) Leigh are better for SL then Toulouse. Leigh have a state of the art modern stadium with a strong fan base that could realistically get up to the 5/6k mark in super league (I may be off with that number) and Toulouse play out of some farm in the middle of no where and barely have any fans. Seems to me they're only deemed 'good for the game' because they are French.

Leigh finished 6th in the regular season of the Championship and are on the brink of bankruptcy, even after receiving a massive parachute payment this year. Their owner has said he’s walking away at the end of the season and nobody has shown any interest in taking them over. Yet despite this people still claim they should be in Super League.
PreviousNext