WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Future of the Game

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace Future of the Game

Re: Future of the Game Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:17 pm  

puroresu_boy wrote:
puroresu_boy Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

The poppy may well have started as sign of remembrance but it certainly isn't that now. The whole yearly episode is a joke and I question how many centuries will it take before such big shows of 'remembrance' is stopped.

The poppy never used to be used in sport. Sporting teams never used to wear it and nobody cared one iota. The Iraq invasion then happened and all the public negativity to that invasion and occupation saw trash like the daily mail start their poppy campaigns demanding football teams to wear poppies all in the name of propaganda for the British military.
Re: Future of the Game Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:18 pm  

Donnyman wrote:
Donnyman Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

wrencat1873 wrote:
I haven't seen the article that you refer to but, it seems clear that Toronto are looking to remain in SL and trying to negotiate the criteria for a return.
For me, assuming that they should have been in "our" comp in the first place, which I'm still unconvinced about, they should have received the same share of any payments as every other club and a gambling man would reckon that they will be back.
A 2 point deduction for their failings would be scandalous and is a serious bit of mickey taking and more importantly would set a precedent for the next time a club fails.
Unless their new "consortium" has serious, serious money to burn, they will struggle again and perhaps, more importantly, there needs to be agreement on where they would play their fixtures if covid restrictions prevent them playing at home.he thougt of a team called Toronto, based in Manchester (or Bradford), with an English coach, full of English players, just seems a little bit odd.
I do think that they will be back though and it will be a kick in the teeth for every promotion wanabe in the Championship and you cant help feeling that they still have "failure" written all over them

Agree pretty much with all of that.

On the point of a two point penalty remember that TWP haven't even got a team at the moment and are unlikely to persuade top players to go there. Even if there was no penalty they'd be massive favourites to go down. If they got hit with a twelve point penalty then their games would probably be meaningless from the start, and the players would have no motivation to sign for them, to play or fans either here or there to go to watch. That would badly damage Superleague and kill TWP.

On the covid issue the idea probably is by the new season Covid may be on the retreat due to vaccinations. I'm pretty sure their plan (TWP and Ottawa's) is play out this coming season no matter what and get to a position 2022 or 2023 when both clubs are in the Championship and playing at home in Canada again.

For me that is their aim and if it is their aim fair play to them as right from the start I always said these clubs should not buy their way to super league but develop the North American game and revenues like they were asked to. I personally think it's futile as Rugby Union has sewn up North America, but neither Ottawa or Toronto will be a problem for the game here playing in the lower divisions UNLESS either of them find another Billionaire who doesn't give a stuff about developing the game there.......
Re: Future of the Game Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:46 pm  
Ste100Centurions User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

I read it that Toronto have agreed upon a 2 point penalty, suggests to me that the deal is done, Toronto will resume Super League in 2021 & that the RFL & SL are stalling to work out the best way to "sell the deal" to the RL public !
Re: Future of the Game Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:47 pm  

User avatarsnowie wrote:
snowie User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Ste100Centurions wrote:
I read it that Toronto have agreed upon a 2 point penalty, suggests to me that the deal is done, Toronto will resume Super League in 2021 & that the RFL & SL are stalling to work out the best way to "sell the deal" to the RL public !

I read and thought the same my self and I was going to post the same response but I couldn't arsed I'm losing interest in the whole game, watching the rhinos v cas game 5 clear mistakes in reffing in the first 22 mins we can't even get that right
Re: Future of the Game Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:55 am  
little wayne69 Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

snowie wrote:
I read and thought the same my self and I was going to post the same response but I couldn't arsed I'm losing interest in the whole game, watching the rhinos v cas game 5 clear mistakes in reffing in the first 22 mins we can't even get that right

A bit harsh that snowie lad, I thought he handled the game pretty well considering the niggle in the game, deffo a couple of poor decisions but other than that I thought he was on top of the game.
Re: Future of the Game Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:58 am  

Donnyman wrote:
Donnyman Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Ste100Centurions wrote:

The 2 point penalty removes only the "demand" from Livolsi that his new version of TWP are not penalised for the sins of the old TWP.

That doesn't remove the situation that Superleague clubs are split on the vote. When the split was reported on it was said four SL clubs did not want Toronto back into Superleague under any circumstances, so absolutely no deal done as yet.

In general the SL clubs vote on things and they tend to try to come to a unanimous agreement. When the system of play offs and MPG to decide promotion, in which a lot of money was to go to the championships the vote was split first time. After further discussions it was apparent that the plans would go through so those clubs against accepted they were beaten and changed their vote.

Only Marwan Koukash stuck to a "no" vote.

So there is a very big elephant in the room of "over our dead bodies" for four SL clubs. This may be why the decision seems to be getting kicked down the road at the moment.
Re: Future of the Game Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:30 am  

User avatarsnowie wrote:
snowie User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

little wayne69 wrote:
A bit harsh that snowie lad, I thought he handled the game pretty well considering the niggle in the game, deffo a couple of poor decisions but other than that I thought he was on top of the game.
he got better in the second half but some of mistakes shouldn't happen,
by the way got my eye on a couple of houses in Royston just wondering will I have have to get a whippet and flat cap :wink:
Re: Future of the Game Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:40 am  
little wayne69 Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

snowie wrote:
he got better in the second half but some of mistakes shouldn't happen,
by the way got my eye on a couple of houses in Royston just wondering will I have have to get a whippet and flat cap :wink:

Just keep the rabbits in the kitchen like the rest of us, they won't get nicked then :wink:
Re: Future of the Game Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:50 pm  

kobashi wrote:
kobashi Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

puroresu_boy wrote:
The poppy has no place in sport. It was only after the decision to invade Iraq that trash like the Daily Mail was pushing the poppy mania to somehow get the military to be seen in a good light.

You never used to see such gross displays of poppies on sporting teams and nobody cared but now if someone dares not to wear one people ask why when in reality nobody should have to answer why they would refuse to wear one.

The poppy campaign may well have started as a sign of remembrance but it certainly isn't that now. How many centuries will it take anyway for this yearly nonsence to be stopped.

Wrong thread dude.
Re: Future of the Game Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:37 am  
Huddersfield1895 Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

The future of the game is junior development. Not has been's and never was players from the NRL
PreviousNext