FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Widnes (A)
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8023No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 23 200816 years288th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Mar 24 11:3713th Mar 24 10:45LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Widnes (A) : Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:02 pm  
Nothus wrote:
Hmm, I actually don't have a problem with that obstruction call. If it was the other way around I'd want the penalty. Some of the outrage on twitter about it (especially from Gledhill) was way ott.

OTT?

The sickening comment is in relation to the effort and character showed by Bradford and leaving the game with nothing. I've seen the incident again and the wrong decision was made IMO.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8023No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 23 200816 years288th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Widnes (A) : Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:04 pm  
RagingBull wrote:
Im going to ignore the result and post just a few general observations

At 12 nill i thought we were done. Unbelievable effort to get back in the game.

Oakes was great against a top drawer super league let alone championship centre.

Connor Farrell, what a tackle!! His best game so far.

Mickey Wood, outstanding, best game in a bulls shirt.

Mini looked back to his old self, may be harsh but i think hes been slow to get going. Great goal kicker as well, who knew!!

Storton has to be in the 17 every week. The kid is set for big things

One little grumble, dummy half service. 2 many balls on the deck

Proud as puch today with the performance. Considering so many men missing we are only going to get better.

Same again next week please

I don't disagree with any of that.
RankPostsTeam
International Star89No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 01 201212 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th May 22 11:0215th May 22 11:02LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Widnes (A) : Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:15 am  
I think Mick Gledhill is doing a good job with his commentry. I feel that he describes what is happening on the field as it is happening which is what i want from a commentator. He can be a bit excitable at times ,which is understandable , as he's commentating on the club he supports. I can't comment on his twitter posts as i've not read any..
I listened to the interview with JK on radio Leeds after Mick's programme finished. He was happy with the ref today and blamed the bad call on the touch judge.
Nothus 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5872No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 04 200519 years231st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 10:167th Mar 24 16:30LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Widnes (A) : Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:23 am  
Bully_Boxer wrote:
Interested to hear why? The defender hasn’t even made it back onto his own line and back onside for a kick off.

Even though Owens was offside he still wouldn’t of got to Minchella given how deep in the line he was and he was clearly on the outside edge of the man so personally I think it was a very tough call given the above.

I just think it's a consistent call when you look at all the other instances of obstruction we've had in SL games so far this year. Owens might be offside at the ptb but the ref hasn't penalised him for it so you have to play on (how many times are players offside at the ptb, dozens?).
Our two dummy runners walk a few yards forward and then stop in the defensive line. This is the key point and the reason why these calls are often given as obstruction. If you're going to make a dummy run you need to continue your run past the defensive line so that you don't interfere with play.
You might be right and Owens might not have been able to reach him anyway, but as soon as his run was impeded - even only slightly - then it's going to be flagged up as obstruction.

If that game is on Sky, the video ref rules out the try every single time.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8023No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 23 200816 years288th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Widnes (A) : Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:42 am  
Hopebull wrote:
I think Mick Gledhill is doing a good job with his commentry. I feel that he describes what is happening on the field as it is happening which is what i want from a commentator. He can be a bit excitable at times ,which is understandable , as he's commentating on the club he supports. I can't comment on his twitter posts as i've not read any..
I listened to the interview with JK on radio Leeds after Mick's programme finished. He was happy with the ref today and blamed the bad call on the touch judge.

Here's my post-match interview with John Kear.

https://audioboom.com/posts/7204488-bbl ... es-vikings
Hopebull wrote:

Here's my post-match interview with John Kear.

https://audioboom.com/posts/7204488-bbl ... es-vikings
RankPostsTeam
Moderator31543
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 years77th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 09:5727th Mar 24 15:13LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.

Re: Widnes (A) : Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:44 am  
Minchella’s try was a try in my view. The Widnes player is offside and even if you disregard this no Bulls player intentionally moves to obstruct him. His exaggerated dive show a man desperate to win a penalty because they were shot to bits in defence.

However, even if you think we were robbed, it’s worth remembering we were on the right end of an equally dodgy decision at home to Fev when Chisholm knocked on yet the ref gave the try. These things even out I suppose!

Amazing defensive effort again by the team, we did seem a bit camped in our own end at times but held pretty firm against a good attacking side. I think we might get a bit of confidence from the way we attacked too. With Lilley back in the side the kicking game would be much improved and we really missed that from him.

I had us down to lose by 14 or more so it’s good performance from us given the players missing. I feel much more confident about playing Leigh next.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8971No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 03 200519 years172nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 06:3427th Mar 24 19:13LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Widnes (A) : Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:39 am  
Nothus wrote:
I just think it's a consistent call when you look at all the other instances of obstruction we've had in SL games so far this year. Owens might be offside at the ptb but the ref hasn't penalised him for it so you have to play on (how many times are players offside at the ptb, dozens?).
Our two dummy runners walk a few yards forward and then stop in the defensive line. This is the key point and the reason why these calls are often given as obstruction. If you're going to make a dummy run you need to continue your run past the defensive line so that you don't interfere with play.
You might be right and Owens might not have been able to reach him anyway, but as soon as his run was impeded - even only slightly - then it's going to be flagged up as obstruction.

If that game is on Sky, the video ref rules out the try every single time.

Well I can't say I watch much SL but there seems to be a lot of common sense missing from officiating nowadays so it wouldn't be all that much of a surprise if this was true. I'm not sure SL is the correct comparison though, we play in the Championship and it would seem the rules are somewhat different on many areas. If you're looking for technicalities to disallow a try then I'm sure you make a case but common sense would say that defender had no chance of stopping that try and even less if he'd been onside. I would hope with the benefit of replay a SL ref would apply such common sense.

But it's been and gone and we have to take the rough with the smooth, it was another improved performance. We could really do with the points this week at home though, let's hope we have a few more options at 6/7 available. Should be a real humdinger of contest with Leigh.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8971No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 03 200519 years172nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 06:3427th Mar 24 19:13LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Widnes (A) : Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:43 am  
Bullseye wrote:

I had us down to lose by 14 or more so it’s good performance from us given the players missing. I feel much more confident about playing Leigh next.

I actually fancied us to get a result before Lilley was ruled out. In fact I had 20 notes on the result at 6/1 so I was even more cheesed off with the controversial end!
RankPostsTeam
Moderator10969
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 01 200222 years290th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st Jan 23 15:1321st Jun 22 13:35LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain

Build Bridges NOT Walls

Re: Widnes (A) : Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:17 pm  
Can't comment on the 'offside try' or the obstruction as I was at the wrong end, but I was proud of the performance overall.

The two 'halves' played well and the major loss from not having our regular halves, for me was the kicking, where we seemed to give the ball back far too near our own goal line too many times. How the Widnes attacker who grabbed Fogging-Johnson round the neck whilst he was in the air didn't 'walk' is beyond me, disgraceful decision. Speaking of DFJ I'm more impressed each time I see him, he can't be much more than 60Kg but he's a real bundle of energy.

The team was my MOM, because that's what they are a team from 1 -17....and yes, I know they have squad numbers...
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1004
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 02 20159 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
5th Feb 23 14:5129th Jan 23 15:40LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"If you don't believe you can do something, you have no chance at all" - Arsene Wenger

Re: Widnes (A) : Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:11 pm  
Agree with Bulliac on his DFJ point - his two performances have been very solid so far and he's good value for his inclusion.
PreviousNext