RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
24 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - IN 2023 | Nene MacDonald - Expires: 2024
Re: IN 2023 | Nene MacDonald - Expires: 2024 : Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:54 am  
oggy123 wrote:
Very good going forward, bit of a turnstile in defence in all fairness think he may be found out at the top level, but good luck Nene

And Leigh have got hardaker who's almost the opposite. Blend their strengths and there'd be some player!
Re: IN 2023 | Nene MacDonald - Expires: 2024 : Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:57 am  
Mind, blend their weaknesses and you'd end up with Toby King..
Re: IN 2023 | Nene MacDonald - Expires: 2024 : Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:27 am  
oggy123 wrote:
Very good going forward, bit of a turnstile in defence in all fairness think he may be found out at the top level, but good luck Nene

He’s played 98 NRL games, 13 International games and 2 NRL all star games. His form in recent years hasn’t been what it was, which is why he ended up playing for Leigh in the Championship, but at 28 he’s got the potential to regain that NRL/International quality form.

He’s a really good addition to our squad and a proper centre unlike Hardaker or Sutcliffe who were utility players.

Our 2023 squad looks better than our 2022 squad, I expect us to win some silverware in 2023.
Re: IN 2023 | Nene MacDonald - Expires: 2024 : Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:34 am  
Sir Kevin Sinfield wrote:
He’s played 98 NRL games, 13 International games and 2 NRL all star games. His form in recent years hasn’t been what it was, which is why he ended up playing for Leigh in the Championship, but at 28 he’s got the potential to regain that NRL/International quality form.

He’s a really good addition to our squad and a proper centre unlike Hardaker or Sutcliffe who were utility players.

Our 2023 squad looks better than our 2022 squad, I expect us to win some silverware in 2023.

He ended up at Leigh because he defends like my Nan , and is also a guy who doesn’t like to part with the ball.
Re: IN 2023 | Nene MacDonald - Expires: 2024 : Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:23 am  
Have Leeds announced him yet?
Re: IN 2023 | Nene MacDonald - Expires: 2024 : Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:43 am  
LeedsTiger wrote:
Have Leeds announced him yet?
Nope.
Re: IN 2023 | Nene MacDonald - Expires: 2024 : Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:19 pm  
Must admit the few times I`ve seen MacDonald and Hooley for that matter I`ve noticed their defence to be poor even in the Championship.
Let`s hope Smith sees more in them than just friendship and familiarity and what they were both like several years ago.
Re: IN 2023 | Nene MacDonald - Expires: 2024 : Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:39 pm  
See what he goes like in a more testing environment. Going through the motions in a side strolling to promotion doesn't really tell us much in regard to his real capabilities.
Re: IN 2023 | Nene MacDonald - Expires: 2024 : Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:12 pm  
Most of our new signings are squad players and need work to get up to standard - if they don't succeed they will be replaced by someone else. What they should bring is a hunger to crack the first team and willingness to work hard to get there. A revolving set of backup players who are desperate to succeed in SL may be the plan, with winners cracking first team at Leeds or somewhere else in SL, and the others going back to the Championship. So long as its just a part of the strategy its far better than keeping proven failures around for years.

MacDonald is a big unit and a real force in attack. But he played the vast majority of his NRL career on the wing as far as I remember - I really can't recall seeing him in the centres at all. No idea where he played at Norths but the chances are Leigh was his first extended period in the centres. No argument he'll need to step up a gear in SL, but hopefully he and Smith are aligned as to what he needs to work on.
Re: IN 2023 | Nene MacDonald - Expires: 2024 : Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:22 pm  
Lam will want players who will do a job in SL. Nene won't be at Leigh next season.....Go figure.
PreviousNext