RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
23 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - 2022 | Injuries & Suspensions
Re: 2022 | Injuries & Suspensions Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:37 pm  
Re: 2022 | Injuries & Suspensions
Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:37 pm  
Magic Superbeetle User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:12 pm
Posts: 5171
Location: Another dimension
Member for 16 years
Sir Gregory ParsloeP wrote:
I don’t want it both ways and don’t recognise your first paragraph. I want refs to deal with it on the pitch such as in the C Cup final when Smithies should have been carded twice but wasn’t.

Huddersfield lost out but Wigan’s next opponents gained.
Regardless, my view makes no difference either way.


Example; https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-le ... 549811.amp
Sir Gregory ParsloeP wrote:
I don’t want it both ways and don’t recognise your first paragraph. I want refs to deal with it on the pitch such as in the C Cup final when Smithies should have been carded twice but wasn’t.

Huddersfield lost out but Wigan’s next opponents gained.
Regardless, my view makes no difference either way.


Example; https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-le ... 549811.amp
:CROWN: I am the hash browns of rlfans :CROWN:
Re: 2022 | Injuries & Suspensions Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:02 am  
Re: 2022 | Injuries & Suspensions
Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:02 am  
Once were Loiners Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:00 pm
Posts: 518
Member for 1 year
Just on the appeal, its absolute nonsense that an appeal on fairly reasonable grounds should result in an increased ban. That is what's happened twice - Leeds haven't just gone in and stamped their feet, they've reviewed similar cases and thought the suspension was OTT. Assuming the appeal was made in a reasonable and reasoned manner, responding with an increase to the ban is utterly childish, and smacks of the committee not wanting to be questioned. Rejecting the appeal and witholding a ban is one thing, but increasing it just smacks of petulance. Either that or the committee itself is admitting it got the original ban wrong.

The threat of increasing bans should not exist to put off clubs appealing. If they believe they have grounds they have every right to question the panel. If not it really is just a kangaroo court.

The number and duration of bans for minor offences is no doubt a cause of frustration at other clubs. In the NRL a few years back the criticism got to the point that they had to tear up the disciplinary committee and start afresh, as it was clear too many clubs had lost confidence in the system. I don't think we're there yet, but all it would take is a couple of clubs to push for change and the existing panel would be gone.
Re: 2022 | Injuries & Suspensions Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:54 am  
Re: 2022 | Injuries & Suspensions
Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:54 am  

simonw wrote:
simonw Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:24 am
Posts: 112
Member for 4 years
Thought 2 was a bit harsh but Newman was out of order and needs to learn. Appealing was only ever going to result in an extra game. I can't work out the reasoning. First step in starting to improve as a club has to come from learning to shut up, take responsibility for our actions on the pitch, take the ban on the chin and learn from it. We seem to carry our in-game frustrations on afterwards and these constant appeals just make us look petulant. It's no wonder our card's been marked. I'm not sure who the ex ref is we keep consulting about these decisions but perhaps we need to stop asking them. We were a bit hard done by. Tough. Suck it up and move on. We keep making a difficult season hard on ourselves by losing players for even longer than we ned to and we only have ourselves to blame for that.
Re: 2022 | Injuries & Suspensions Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:11 am  
Re: 2022 | Injuries & Suspensions
Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:11 am  
Loiner at large Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:40 pm
Posts: 290
Member for 3 years
christopher wrote:
FFS

Have we ever had a ban reduced. Stupid by the club and the player.

Im just about at the point where I want this season to be over now

Agree ridiculous appeal as our cards are well and truly marked.
However our game is being ruined by the incompetence of HQ.
Players and fans are becoming disillusioned and people will start to look at other sports for their entertainment. The gap with the NRL is now a chasm and with Australia opening up all our best players will be heading to Aus and Superleague might as well drop the ' Super ' title.
Re: 2022 | Injuries & Suspensions Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:50 am  
Re: 2022 | Injuries & Suspensions
Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:50 am  

Simmo71 wrote:
Simmo71 Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:24 pm
Posts: 790
Member for 2 years
The worst thing about the Newman appeal is that it sends a message to Newman (and others) that the club back him, when he's obviously mouthed off at the ref and stepped over the mark.
That's not good - could end up where players will think they can do what they like and the club will back them.
The panel have said, no sorry, but it's not OK. Here's another game for a nonsense appeal.

As stupid as the whole system is, I actually think we've got what we deserved.

The way to deal with that situation was not to appeal.
Really poor by the club imo.
Re: 2022 | Injuries & Suspensions Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:46 am  
Re: 2022 | Injuries & Suspensions
Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:46 am  

ArthurClues wrote:
ArthurClues Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:10 pm
Posts: 1283
Member for 3 years
Loiner at large wrote:
Agree ridiculous appeal as our cards are well and truly marked.
However our game is being ruined by the incompetence of HQ.
Players and fans are becoming disillusioned and people will start to look at other sports for their entertainment. The gap with the NRL is now a chasm and with Australia opening up all our best players will be heading to Aus and Superleague might as well drop the ' Super ' title.

I'm not so bothered about HQ. They are a natural and easy target for grumpy fans and silly players. I am getting increasingly disillusioned with the weak leadership and culture of excuses which has taken hold at the club. We currently have Holroyd (punching), Muizz (throwing), Tet (attempted decapitation) and Newman (toddler tantrum) banned for multiple games. But don't worry, it's all the fault of the meanies at the disciplinary. The problem and the solution lies with the club.
Re: 2022 | Injuries & Suspensions Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:37 am  
Re: 2022 | Injuries & Suspensions
Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:37 am  

User avatarTrebor1 wrote:
Trebor1 User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:16 am
Posts: 4238
Member for 6 years
Once were Loiners wrote:
Just on the appeal, its absolute nonsense that an appeal on fairly reasonable grounds should result in an increased ban. That is what's happened twice - Leeds haven't just gone in and stamped their feet, they've reviewed similar cases and thought the suspension was OTT. Assuming the appeal was made in a reasonable and reasoned manner, responding with an increase to the ban is utterly childish, and smacks of the committee not wanting to be questioned. Rejecting the appeal and witholding a ban is one thing, but increasing it just smacks of petulance. Either that or the committee itself is admitting it got the original ban wrong.

The threat of increasing bans should not exist to put off clubs appealing. If they believe they have grounds they have every right to question the panel. If not it really is just a kangaroo court.

The number and duration of bans for minor offences is no doubt a cause of frustration at other clubs. In the NRL a few years back the criticism got to the point that they had to tear up the disciplinary committee and start afresh, as it was clear too many clubs had lost confidence in the system. I don't think we're there yet, but all it would take is a couple of clubs to push for change and the existing panel would be gone.


Totally agree. Leeds appealed in a very professional and educated manner. It doesn't sit easy with me the increase of the ban. He deserved a ban, 1 game at most given his impeccable record and age. I think the RFL are damaging the game and it will turn fans away. Interesting to see Newman's dad's comments on FB... he said he feels so annoyed by the increase in ban if it was up to him Harry would go to Union or the NRL !!
Re: 2022 | Injuries & Suspensions Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:58 am  
Re: 2022 | Injuries & Suspensions
Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:58 am  

ArthurClues wrote:
ArthurClues Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:10 pm
Posts: 1283
Member for 3 years
Trebor1 wrote:
Totally agree. Leeds appealed in a very professional and educated manner. It doesn't sit easy with me the increase of the ban. He deserved a ban, 1 game at most given his impeccable record and age. I think the RFL are damaging the game and it will turn fans away. Interesting to see Newman's dad's comments on FB... he said he feels so annoyed by the increase in ban if it was up to him Harry would go to Union or the NRL !!

Can't agree with that, although I tend to agree with most things you say. What Harry needs to do is get his head down, stay fit and improve his game in all aspects. He's played less than 30 games in three years. He certainly doesn't need anybody in his ear about the NRL or RU. It would be a terrible shame if he started to buy into the hype before he begins to achieve his potential. He needs some discipline not indulgence.
Re: 2022 | Injuries & Suspensions Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:51 am  
Re: 2022 | Injuries & Suspensions
Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:51 am  

Shabino wrote:
Shabino Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:39 pm
Posts: 2287
Member for 6 years
[youtube][/youtube]
Trebor1 wrote:
Totally agree. Leeds appealed in a very professional and educated manner. It doesn't sit easy with me the increase of the ban. He deserved a ban, 1 game at most given his impeccable record and age. I think the RFL are damaging the game and it will turn fans away. Interesting to see Newman's dad's comments on FB... he said he feels so annoyed by the increase in ban if it was up to him Harry would go to Union or the NRL !!

Can’t see Union or NRL clubs lining up just yet. Needs to stay injury free and provide consistent form . His dad is clearly not helping him here…!
Re: 2022 | Injuries & Suspensions Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:27 am  
Re: 2022 | Injuries & Suspensions
Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:27 am  

User avatarFearTheVee wrote:
FearTheVee User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member


Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2002 12:57 pm
Posts: 11264
Location: Much too far South
Member for 20 years
Trebor1 wrote:
Totally agree. Leeds appealed in a very professional and educated manner. It doesn't sit easy with me the increase of the ban. He deserved a ban, 1 game at most given his impeccable record and age. I think the RFL are damaging the game and it will turn fans away. Interesting to see Newman's dad's comments on FB... he said he feels so annoyed by the increase in ban if it was up to him Harry would go to Union or the NRL !!


I wonder where he gets his seeming inability to accept responsibiity for his actions from. Nice one dad.

If he thinks his son's performance wouldn't have led to a ban in Union or the NRL he is deluded. Genuinely, I haven't seen a player be so constantly OTT with a ref throughout a game for a long time - there are degrees of protesting with a ref and Newman was right at the wrong end of the scale IMO.

I genuinely couldn't believe it when Leeds appealed - it seemed a slam dunk extra match ban to me.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: gulfcoast_highwayman, gym bunny 100, Jrrhino, mattsrhinos1978, ryano, Seth, Wallace52, YosemiteSam and 184 guests

REPLY

Subject: 
Message:
   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.
Use the FULL EDITOR to better format content or upload images, be notified of replies etc...

Return to Leeds Rhinos


RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POST
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
1m
What we currently look like for 2023
chissitt
847
4m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
34988
4m
Game - Song Titles 20212
Boss Hog
17668
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
12s
Shopping List 2023
ComeOnYouUll
3363
17s
Mascot
Vancouver Le
26
20s
Transfer talk
Pyrah123
700
31s
Matty Russell signed
sally cinnam
68
34s
What we currently look like for 2023
chissitt
847
1m
Rumours and signings v9
Pieman
24767
1m
Props for 2023
Bent&Bon
15
1m
IMG Recommendations for RL
chapylad
68
1m
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
otleyrhino
2284
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
TODAY
RIP Doddie Weir
Khlav Kalash
4
TODAY
Harry Newman
christopher
6
TODAY
Wire TV
Alffi_7
3
TODAY
Squad complete Whats your starting 13 4
Or thane
11
TODAY
Any more signings
Listenup94
7
TODAY
Shirts - Shop
hooligan27
1
TODAY
Riley Dean
Boss Hog
17
TODAY
Warrington re-sign ex-winger
TrinTrin
17
TODAY
Matty Russell signed
sally cinnam
68
TODAY
WCC 2023 TOUR DOWN UNDER
Foti with th
1
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Australia World Champions Agai..
5363
Jillaroos Demolish the Ferns t..
1434
England Beat France in Nail-bi..
2420
New Zealand Ferns Final Bound ..
1319
Australia Power Into Womens Fi..
1387
Samoa Into the Final As Englis..
1564
Australia Squeeze Into The Fin..
1974
Jilleroos Scrape Home Against ..
1672
Cook Islands Sign Off With Vic..
2330
England 19-man squad for RLWC ..
2324
St Helens to face Penrith Pant..
2250
England Top Group A With Big W..
1966
Canada End World Cup With Tigh..
1758
Record Breaking Masterclass fr..
2899
Ferns Win As Cooks Score First..
2301
POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORD
19.4Million 1,542 ↑1479,3049,323
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 Thu 16th Feb 2023
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R1
20:00
Warrington
v
Leeds
 Fri 24th Feb 2023
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R2
20:00
Leeds
v
Hull FC
 Fri 3rd Mar 2023
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R3
20:00
St.Helens
v
Leeds
 Fri 10th Mar 2023
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R4
20:00
Leeds
v
Wakefield
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Thu 16th Feb
SL-M
20:00
Warrington-Leeds
Fri 17th Feb
SL-M
20:00
Leigh-Salford
Sat 18th Feb
SL-M
13:00
Hull KR-Wigan
WCC2022
07:00
Penrith-St.Helens
Thu 23rd Feb
SL-M
20:00
Salford-Hull KR
Fri 24th Feb
SL-M
20:00
Leeds-Hull FC
Sun 26th Feb
SL-M
13:00
Castleford-St.Helens
Thu 2nd Mar
SL-M
20:00
Warrington-Salford
Fri 3rd Mar
SL-M
20:00
St.Helens-Leeds
Thu 9th Mar
SL-M
20:00
Wigan-Catalans
Fri 10th Mar
SL-M
20:00
Huddersfield-Castleford
Sat 19th Nov
WC2022 6 Australia M30-10Samoa M
WWC2022 5 Australia W54-4New Zealand W
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
St.Helens 0 0 0 0 0
Castleford 0 0 0 0 0
Wakefield 0 0 0 0 0
Leeds 0 0 0 0 0
Hull KR 0 0 0 0 0
Warrington 0 0 0 0 0
 
Salford 0 0 0 0 0
Wigan 0 0 0 0 0
Hull FC 0 0 0 0 0
Catalans 0 0 0 0 0
Huddersfield 0 0 0 0 0
Leigh 0 0 0 0 0
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POST
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
1m
What we currently look like for 2023
chissitt
847
4m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
34988
4m
Game - Song Titles 20212
Boss Hog
17668
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
12s
Shopping List 2023
ComeOnYouUll
3363
17s
Mascot
Vancouver Le
26
20s
Transfer talk
Pyrah123
700
31s
Matty Russell signed
sally cinnam
68
34s
What we currently look like for 2023
chissitt
847
1m
Rumours and signings v9
Pieman
24767
1m
Props for 2023
Bent&Bon
15
1m
IMG Recommendations for RL
chapylad
68
1m
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
otleyrhino
2284
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
TODAY
RIP Doddie Weir
Khlav Kalash
4
TODAY
Harry Newman
christopher
6
TODAY
Wire TV
Alffi_7
3
TODAY
Squad complete Whats your starting 13 4
Or thane
11
TODAY
Any more signings
Listenup94
7
TODAY
Shirts - Shop
hooligan27
1
TODAY
Riley Dean
Boss Hog
17
TODAY
Warrington re-sign ex-winger
TrinTrin
17
TODAY
Matty Russell signed
sally cinnam
68
TODAY
WCC 2023 TOUR DOWN UNDER
Foti with th
1
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Australia World Champions Agai..
5363
Jillaroos Demolish the Ferns t..
1434
England Beat France in Nail-bi..
2420
New Zealand Ferns Final Bound ..
1319
Australia Power Into Womens Fi..
1387
Samoa Into the Final As Englis..
1564
Australia Squeeze Into The Fin..
1974
Jilleroos Scrape Home Against ..
1672
Cook Islands Sign Off With Vic..
2330
England 19-man squad for RLWC ..
2324
St Helens to face Penrith Pant..
2250
England Top Group A With Big W..
1966
Canada End World Cup With Tigh..
1758
Record Breaking Masterclass fr..
2899
Ferns Win As Cooks Score First..
2301


Visit the RLFANS.COM SHOP
for more merchandise!