WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Corey Johnson & others

Board index Super League Leeds Rhinos - southstander.com Corey Johnson & others

Corey Johnson & others Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:04 pm  
MillennialRhino Stevo's Armpit

Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:31 pm
Posts: 30
Did we ever find out what it was that made Corey’s mind up to retire? I have no idea how good he was as a player as I hardly saw him play, but I remember there being a big-ish buzz about him on here for a while and it seemed like he was just starting to/about to get some 1st team appearances. Then the next thing I heard he had retired from the game, and with next to no explanation as far as I could tell. It seemed a surprise to many, including me, especially considering the timing/ almost breaking into the 1st team.

As someone who wishes I had the talent & opportunity to play professionally (especially for the team I support), I recently found myself wondering:

1. Whether we or the club are concerned about (or even know) what his reasons were?

2. Whether there have been many other hopefuls who decided to call it a day just as they are starting to break into the 1st team?

3. Whether we think such things will start to become more common with recent concussion-related news, Ward, Burrow, RU lawsuits, etc?
Re: Corey Johnson & others Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:15 pm  

User avatarKaeruJim wrote:
KaeruJim User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:27 am
Posts: 1971
From what I gather, Corey had options to go into trade/business with his family and took that option. Don't think it helped that we brought in Leeming - although I don't know whether chicken or egg came first there.

Talent-wise, the lad was the best I've seen coming up since Matt Diskin, easily. Real classy.

Regarding 3) yes I can imagine worries about long-term brain injury causing concern amongst parents and potential young players, absolutely. If you play top-level RL you are somewhat rolling the dice on your long-term health. Players like Barrie McD and Keith Senior are more machine than man. Lifelong injuries and pain in some cases. Candle that burns twice as bright lasts half as long and all that.

But my word what experiences along the way. Would you or I be willing to make that trade/take that risk? It's not for everyone.
Re: Corey Johnson & others Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:23 pm  

doc-rhino wrote:
doc-rhino Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:55 pm
Posts: 1061
KaeruJim wrote:
From what I gather, Corey had options to go into trade/business with his family and took that option. Don't think it helped that we brought in Leeming - although I don't know whether chicken or egg came first there.

Talent-wise, the lad was the best I've seen coming up since Matt Diskin, easily. Real classy.

Regarding 3) yes I can imagine worries about long-term brain injury causing concern amongst parents and potential young players, absolutely. If you play top-level RL you are somewhat rolling the dice on your long-term health. Players like Barrie McD and Keith Senior are more machine than man. Lifelong injuries and pain in some cases. Candle that burns twice as bright lasts half as long and all that.

But my word what experiences along the way. Would you or I be willing to make that trade/take that risk? It's not for everyone.
read kevin ward's book he was left with long term effects
Re: Corey Johnson & others Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:59 pm  

User avatarKaeruJim wrote:
KaeruJim User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:27 am
Posts: 1971
I also look at guys like Kevin Sinfield who is still in great shape. And - people can develop injuries in life anyway over time, and most don’t get access to the level of medical care professional players have.

I still think on balance you could expect to come out of a playing career with more pluses than minuses having been a pro sportsperson... but of course there are risks.

I’ll probably have this decision to make for my lad when he gets older. Unfortunately he’s inherited his mother’s handbrake so likely a Wayne McDonald in the making.
Re: Corey Johnson & others Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:02 pm  

Jack Burton wrote:
Jack Burton Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:26 am
Posts: 583
Rob's diagnosis really affected him, and made him think it wasn't worth it. It had nothing to do with anything else in terms of falling out with the club, or anything like that.
Re: Corey Johnson & others Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:20 am  
Marty Grrrrrrrrrr! Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 9:25 pm
Posts: 2265
Definately think Rob's diagnosis probably had an effect but i also think he had fallen out of love with the game, simple as that.

I know his decision shocked Kev and Agar and both, to this day are gutted by it but its done. At the start of last season we played Wigan in a friendly and he was told he would be starting with a chance to secure the position while Leeming was out but his mind was made up he didnt want to play anymore. At that time he had no plans.

Last i heard Corey had started doing a computer programming course and was much happier than he had been for awhile. So good luck to him.

I was a big admirer of Corey, thought he would become our long term starting 9 but its a tough profession and not for everyone and if your heart isnt in it then its no good.

As fans we look at it as a dream job running out and playing in front of thousands of fans but we dont see the days of pain these guys suffer do we?
Re: Corey Johnson & others Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:56 am  

User avatarThe Eclipse wrote:
The Eclipse User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:41 pm
Posts: 2890
That was a shame he retired but good luck to him. He looked really good for England Academy v Aussies in 2018
You know I've always been a dreamer
Re: Corey Johnson & others Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:39 am  

User avatarKaeruJim wrote:
KaeruJim User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:27 am
Posts: 1971
I’m more concerned with the effect of lockdown and Academy lads not being able to train in groups or play games to be honest, Corey is done.

Plenty of talent in our set-up, and not all lads present as early as Johnson did (think Peacock).

I personally have really missed watching the academy games too, I often find them more entertaining than first grade - although it helps we’re usually competitive!
Re: Corey Johnson & others Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:33 am  
Marty Grrrrrrrrrr! Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 9:25 pm
Posts: 2265
KaeruJim wrote:
I’m more concerned with the effect of lockdown and Academy lads not being able to train in groups or play games to be honest, Corey is done.

Plenty of talent in our set-up, and not all lads present as early as Johnson did (think Peacock).

I personally have really missed watching the academy games too, I often find them more entertaining than first grade - although it helps we’re usually competitive!


Not just the academy set up but the community game where the academy set up gets players from is going to be badly impacted unfortunately.
Re: Corey Johnson & others Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:12 am  

D4mo78 wrote:
D4mo78 Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:32 am
Posts: 533
Jack Burton wrote:
Rob's diagnosis really affected him, and made him think it wasn't worth it. It had nothing to do with anything else in terms of falling out with the club, or anything like that.


He was having doubts that he wanted to continue before then, the Rob diagnosis was the final nail. He'd had injuries that had left him feeling low and questioning his commitment.

My wife is friends with his mum and auntie so we've spoken about it. He fell out of love with the game. He felt like his life wasn't his own if he wanted to make it to the top. His friends were in jobs earning decent money and enjoying it and he wasn't able to. The club were really good with him and tried all they could, but his mind was made up.

It took time for him to work out what he wanted to do, but he's in a job he enjoys and has no regrets.

A very tough decision for a young bloke to make when there was such high expectations and he'd played all his life.
Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ls19rhinos and 60 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.

Return to Leeds Rhinos - southstander.com


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDTEAM
5,125,49854378,4704,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and fixtures and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
YOU HAVE RL CHAT OFF
Please Support RLFANS.COM


YOU HAVE RL FIXTURES OFF
RLFANS Recent Posts




X