Nov 19 200221 years4th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Apr 24 13:475th Apr 24 18:48LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Fixtures : Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:39 pm  
KaeruJim wrote:
Just imagine that first few games back. It will be electric, and I hope close to a sell out here and there.

I think it will be quite emotional to be honest!
RankPostsTeam
International Star5484
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 03 20177 years52nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Apr 24 20:5015th Apr 24 20:48LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Fixtures : Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:31 pm  
christopher wrote:
Yep im sure it will cone round soon enough, like a lot of people this latest lockdown has really taken its toll mentally, so at least the rugby returning will provide a lift.

It’s taken a huge toll Christopher, know exactly how you feel. Personally very tough at times. I’m just keeping as positive as possible to get through it. Can’t bloody wait to be on the Headingley terraces with a pint. Imagine how good it’ll feel... I think we’ll all appreciate it a bit more
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman35934
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 13 200420 years16th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Apr 24 18:1513th Apr 24 19:44LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
SUPPORT SWAG...

Re: Fixtures : Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:02 pm  
Marty Grrrrrrrrrr! wrote:
Be a long time before we see a full Headingley im afraid

I'm not sure it will be.

Cases are plummeting as is the death rate (still too many).

Boris hasn't got much right but touch wood he seems to have been spot on this time.

Vaccinations are way ahead of expectations and hospital admissions are down so even more resources can now be thrown at the vaccination programme.

I don't want to count chickens just yet but a bit of cautious optimism is now possible.

I can see full grounds by July maybe even June unless the damn thing mutates and bites back.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1421No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 05 20159 years280th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
31st Oct 21 09:4318th Oct 21 12:56LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Fixtures : Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:26 pm  
vastman wrote:

I'm not sure it will be.

Boris hasn't got much right but touch wood he seems to have been spot on this time.

Vaccinations are way ahead of expectations and hospital admissions are down so even more resources can now be thrown at the vaccination programme.

I don't want to count chickens just yet but a bit of cautious optimism is now possible.

I can see full grounds by July maybe even June unless the damn thing mutates and bites back.

The scale of the roll-out has been fantastic, I still can’t get my head around how over half a million vaccinations have been done on some days.

However, the attached article indicates that although you can lead a horse to water....

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theg ... rs-england
vastman wrote:

I'm not sure it will be.

The scale of the roll-out has been fantastic, I still can’t get my head around how over half a million vaccinations have been done on some days.

However, the attached article indicates that although you can lead a horse to water....

RankPostsTeam
International Star5484
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 03 20177 years52nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Fixtures : Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:13 pm  
Mark Laurie wrote:

Madness and makes my blood boil. Won’t be liking when they can’t go on holiday where they’ll require vaccine proof. Our county may not implement it (but I think it’s likely) but vast majority world wide will. I think once the majority are vaccinated it’ll kill off a lot of the conspiracy theory nonsense.
Mark Laurie wrote:

Madness and makes my blood boil. Won’t be liking when they can’t go on holiday where they’ll require vaccine proof. Our county may not implement it (but I think it’s likely) but vast majority world wide will. I think once the majority are vaccinated it’ll kill off a lot of the conspiracy theory nonsense.
RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 13 200420 years16th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
SUPPORT SWAG...

Re: Fixtures : Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:15 am  
Mark Laurie wrote:

That's annoying but it's also press sensationalism.

I may be telling you something you already know but vaccines work on percentages to create the near-mystical 'herd immunity'.

Covid is not the flu virus, it can mutate but not in the almost daily way influenza does. You can't create a 'herd immunity' against the flu.

Covid you can or at least in theory. Apart from the millions now vaccinated there are also many millions who have had Covid and as such have similar resistance to the virus, Note, you can never be 100% inoculated from any virus, though some like smallpox it's close. This is where the R number plays in.

The battle with Covid is all about denying it a host, Once a percentage of the population is either immune or vaccinated the virus simply runs out of places to live and it dies. Now I don't know what that figure of people is but it's clear with the sharp decline in cases we are closing in quite rapidly. At some point, hopefully not too far off, anybody with Covid will find it harder and harder to come into contact with a potential new host, until such point that it simply dies in it's the existing host and can spread no more,

Clearly, it's not that simple and there is still a way to go and of course the fear of a massive mutation. However, I was taking the best-case scenario and if that's right normal service will resume sooner than you think. To be fair the Government can't afford to be so optimistic, it needs to keep control for now and as we have seen a rush of euphoria too soon can have disastrous effects.

So with luck, it could easily be as soon as July but luck is fickle.

Note: I'm not a health professional in any way, I do try to talk to those who are and read from reputable sources but please don't book two weeks in Spain on my say so :lol:
Mark Laurie wrote:

That's annoying but it's also press sensationalism.

I may be telling you something you already know but vaccines work on percentages to create the near-mystical 'herd immunity'.

Covid is not the flu virus, it can mutate but not in the almost daily way influenza does. You can't create a 'herd immunity' against the flu.

Covid you can or at least in theory. Apart from the millions now vaccinated there are also many millions who have had Covid and as such have similar resistance to the virus, Note, you can never be 100% inoculated from any virus, though some like smallpox it's close. This is where the R number plays in.

The battle with Covid is all about denying it a host, Once a percentage of the population is either immune or vaccinated the virus simply runs out of places to live and it dies. Now I don't know what that figure of people is but it's clear with the sharp decline in cases we are closing in quite rapidly. At some point, hopefully not too far off, anybody with Covid will find it harder and harder to come into contact with a potential new host, until such point that it simply dies in it's the existing host and can spread no more,

Clearly, it's not that simple and there is still a way to go and of course the fear of a massive mutation. However, I was taking the best-case scenario and if that's right normal service will resume sooner than you think. To be fair the Government can't afford to be so optimistic, it needs to keep control for now and as we have seen a rush of euphoria too soon can have disastrous effects.

So with luck, it could easily be as soon as July but luck is fickle.

Note: I'm not a health professional in any way, I do try to talk to those who are and read from reputable sources but please don't book two weeks in Spain on my say so :lol:
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4264
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 18 20185 years27th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Apr 24 18:5511th Apr 24 18:02LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Fixtures : Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:18 pm  
The virus which causes COVID is a coronavirus type based on RNA, like flu viruses, and therefore mutates readily because of its structure as far as I know.

You have two problems of letting the lid off too early. One is that although we may have built improved resistance to infection in the most vulnerable, the sheer scale of infections in the rest of the population could mean that your end result numbers of hospitalisations and deaths still overwhelm healthcare services.

Secondly, letting the virus run amongst the "healthy" encourages mutation, and it's not impossible that a mutation may prove more deadly than what we see now (various significant mutations have already occurred with this coronavirus).

We need to bear in mind that there is a LAG between the numbers and statistics which are reported, and where the virus is at in the real world. By the time you see a huge spike of cases coming through it's already too late because you could lock down again and still have to wait weeks before the measures turn your oil tanker.

Having said that, I don't personally believe we can afford to wait until everyone in the country has had their 2x jabs before we open up again. If you haven't yet had COVID, you're flipping likely to after lockdown ends - but there comes a point where we have to take our chances in my view. We're not going to get to 100% vaccination anyway (and the vaccine itself is never 100% effective as has been mentioned), so we have to make a judgement.

Lockdown is not a victimless or harmless policy. People don't like it but the truth is that a human life does have a monetary value as far as the collective and the state is concerned - we cannot protect everybody from this virus 100% before the gates re-open.

Be prepared for more rolling roadblocks this year, but if common sense prevails we might have more normality for the Summer. Crowds at games? Not sure. I can see social distancing policies being in place for some time yet - maybe with significantly reduced capacity but it's so hard to predict what Govt will do. My guess would be late Summer, hope I'm wrong.
RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 13 200420 years16th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
SUPPORT SWAG...

Re: Fixtures : Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:28 pm  
KaeruJim wrote:
The virus which causes COVID is a coronavirus type based on RNA, like flu viruses, and therefore mutates readily because of its structure as far as I know.

You have two problems of letting the lid off too early. One is that although we may have built improved resistance to infection in the most vulnerable, the sheer scale of infections in the rest of the population could mean that your end result numbers of hospitalisations and deaths still overwhelm healthcare services.

Secondly, letting the virus run amongst the "healthy" encourages mutation, and it's not impossible that a mutation may prove more deadly than what we see now (various significant mutations have already occurred with this coronavirus).

We need to bear in mind that there is a LAG between the numbers and statistics which are reported, and where the virus is at in the real world. By the time you see a huge spike of cases coming through it's already too late because you could lock down again and still have to wait weeks before the measures turn your oil tanker.

Having said that, I don't personally believe we can afford to wait until everyone in the country has had their 2x jabs before we open up again. If you haven't yet had COVID, you're flipping likely to after lockdown ends - but there comes a point where we have to take our chances in my view. We're not going to get to 100% vaccination anyway (and the vaccine itself is never 100% effective as has been mentioned), so we have to make a judgement.

Lockdown is not a victimless or harmless policy. People don't like it but the truth is that a human life does have a monetary value as far as the collective and the state is concerned - we cannot protect everybody from this virus 100% before the gates re-open.

Be prepared for more rolling roadblocks this year, but if common sense prevails we might have more normality for the Summer. Crowds at games? Not sure. I can see social distancing policies being in place for some time yet - maybe with significantly reduced capacity but it's so hard to predict what Govt will do. My guess would be late Summer, hope I'm wrong.

Interesting. The last paragraph is most pertinent. Following the Government's logic has proved hugely difficult even if, like me, you accept that no response to the pandemic can be even remotely close to perfect.

The battle will always be between politics, which by nature seeks the most optimistic scenario and the Science, which again by its nature seeks the most pedantry approach.

The problem with Boris is far too often he talks like a scientist but acts more like a politician. He is extreme in this duplicity even by the standards of a politician, which to be fair is what he actually is.
RankPostsTeam
International Star5484
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 03 20177 years52nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Fixtures : Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:33 pm  
Sounds coming out of gov roadmap sound very promising and reasonably quick in re opening the economy. However crowds back at stadiums are a different matter.. interesting to see if pro sport gets a mention on Monday
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain3127No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 06 20177 years71st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Apr 24 21:5315th Apr 24 21:53LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Fixtures : Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:05 pm  
Mark Laurie wrote:

Vaccinations are optional folks. Let's not forget that, as that's the law! Much prefer listening to rugby debates on here, must say.......
Mark Laurie wrote:

Vaccinations are optional folks. Let's not forget that, as that's the law! Much prefer listening to rugby debates on here, must say.......
PreviousNext