WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - NEW DEAL | Richie Myler - Expires: 2022

Board index Super League Leeds Rhinos - southstander.com NEW DEAL | Richie Myler - Expires: 2022

Re: NEW DEAL | Richie Myler - Expires: 2022 Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:43 pm  

User avatarExeter Rhino wrote:
Exeter Rhino User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

I was pleased when this news was announced.

Myler offers better cover for all of the spine positions that most clubs have at their disposal. He's far better suited to this role than Liam Sutcliffe. Admittedly, they are better suited to different positions, but IMO Myler is a better FB and HB than Sutcliffe, and offers more in these roles than Sutcliffe offers in his preferred roles of centre/SR.

The experience thing is important IMO. Myler is showing the way as a role model here by getting on with the job and earning a new contract. Others might have spat the dummy by asking for a transfer request...

Also, I think the competition between Gale, Lui, Myler and McLelland (perhaps also Dwyer and Leeming) can only be a good thing.
Re: NEW DEAL | Richie Myler - Expires: 2022 Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:42 pm  

Mark Laurie wrote:
Mark Laurie Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

KaeruJim wrote:
Myler is a good player, but he has never been a consistent top-4 side player in his career IMO. So yes, as a utility player with a very good attitude and a good role model for the young lads I get it.

My problem is with the cost. We are in a financial hole it seems, and we clearly haven't been in the market for the kind of signings we've made in the past (or we've made a mess of it when we have splashed cash).

I suspect none on here know what Myler's contract is worth - we are assuming less than the original. He doesn't have great options - no club above us in the table would have a need for him because they have better halves already. Toronto were paying over the odds for players because they had to, now that option has gone for the moment.

IF we have re-signed Myer on the right terms, I don't have a problem with it although it also doesn't excite me.

There is a type we've been recruiting for since Sinfield/Agar took over, and it's very much character fit. I do think they are moulding the young players into good attitude by bringing in role models around them and that makes sense. For me the acid test will be in another year or two when the side is ready to rise again - does the management have the judgement and ability to bring in the right signings at the right time? Not seen evidence of it yet unfortunately.

Agree in general with this. We need some real quality to change games particularly up front. IMO we should be doing this now, even if all the current young crop make it, they will need loads of other quality players around them.
Assuming we can do this in 2 years time is misguided. Tomorrow never comes
Re: NEW DEAL | Richie Myler - Expires: 2022 Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:53 am  

User avatarBang wrote:
Bang User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Shocking decision to keep him on. Truly.
YEAH LIKE WHATEVER!
TEAM UP! TEAM UP!
Re: NEW DEAL | Richie Myler - Expires: 2022 Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:45 am  

User avatarKaeruJim wrote:
KaeruJim User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

In Mellor, Ava, Martin, Donaldson, Leeming, Prior? there is some evidence that the club can identify a reasonable value-for-money player.

I'm sure Myler adds positively to the culture Leeds are trying to establish, and I know we have both eyes on the future, when IMO we have a genuinely exciting array of talent coming through who will be at or around England selection.

I just hope we have enough cash to hang on to those players when the vultures circle, and to concentrate our overseas and mature-age signings into some real quality. I'll remain positive - we are in a far better position now than we were at the end of McDs time, and some of our issues now are purely external (COVID) and we couldn't have foreseen/done anything about that.

1 year would have made more sense to me because that squad will evolve and grow, and Myler as I said doesn't make my game day 17 if everyone is fit now, never mind about in 2022. I assume they must have got him on favourable terms though in the circumstances.
Re: NEW DEAL | Richie Myler - Expires: 2022 Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:45 am  
fanstanningley User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

KaeruJim wrote:
In Mellor, Ava, Martin, Donaldson, Leeming, Prior? there is some evidence that the club can identify a reasonable value-for-money player.

I'm sure Myler adds positively to the culture Leeds are trying to establish, and I know we have both eyes on the future, when IMO we have a genuinely exciting array of talent coming through who will be at or around England selection.

I just hope we have enough cash to hang on to those players when the vultures circle, and to concentrate our overseas and mature-age signings into some real quality. I'll remain positive - we are in a far better position now than we were at the end of McDs time, and some of our issues now are purely external (COVID) and we couldn't have foreseen/done anything about that.

1 year would have made more sense to me because that squad will evolve and grow, and Myler as I said doesn't make my game day 17 if everyone is fit now, never mind about in 2022. I assume they must have got him on favourable terms though in the circumstances.
I agree one year would make more sense and I'm sure he'll obe on reduced terms. Obviously we cant have anyone coming through at fullback to cover for Walker. It would be very hard to sign a player to cover fullback who would be of the right standard.
I'm not a pheasant plucker, i'm a pheasant pluckers son and i'm only plucking pheasants till the pheasant plucker comes.
Re: NEW DEAL | Richie Myler - Expires: 2022 Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:56 am  
The Phantom Horseman Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Going off at a tangent slighty, I wonder what the short-term future holds for Callum McLelland now. There must be a chance that when Walker is back Myler will revert to being next in line behind Gale/Lui at half back, as well as being cover for Walker.

The McLelland situation is going to be a difficult one for Leeds to manage. You won't see the best of him until he gets an extended run - he was fairly ordinary in his first two or three games for Fev before he settled in and grew a bit more confident. But there seems little prospect of an extended run in the Leeds first team at the moment. Moreover, with Louis Jouffret moving to Ottawa, Fev had to move to find a half back partner for Chisholm, and they won't have flown Nu Brown (who has 37 NRL appeances and is a Samoan international) over here to be a stopgap for when McLelland isn't available.
Re: NEW DEAL | Richie Myler - Expires: 2022 Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:13 pm  

rugbyleague88 Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

The Phantom Horseman wrote:
Going off at a tangent slighty, I wonder what the short-term future holds for Callum McLelland now. There must be a chance that when Walker is back Myler will revert to being next in line behind Gale/Lui at half back, as well as being cover for Walker.

The McLelland situation is going to be a difficult one for Leeds to manage. You won't see the best of him until he gets an extended run - he was fairly ordinary in his first two or three games for Fev before he settled in and grew a bit more confident. But there seems little prospect of an extended run in the Leeds first team at the moment. Moreover, with Louis Jouffret moving to Ottawa, Fev had to move to find a half back partner for Chisholm, and they won't have flown Nu Brown (who has 37 NRL appeances and is a Samoan international) over here to be a stopgap for when McLelland isn't available.

Agreed, that is my concern with McLelland. He needs consistent game time and I cannot currently see where he will get that.
Re: NEW DEAL | Richie Myler - Expires: 2022 Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:48 pm  

Trebor1 wrote:
Trebor1 Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

McLelland is an interesting one. I’m not 100% convinced he’s going to be top notch but union may have done him some damage that will take a while to get out of him.. we will see.. but the kid needs to show a touch more imo when his chances come
Re: NEW DEAL | Richie Myler - Expires: 2022 Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:06 pm  
Marty Grrrrrrrrrr! Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Trebor1 wrote:
McLelland is an interesting one. I’m not 100% convinced he’s going to be top notch but union may have done him some damage that will take a while to get out of him.. we will see.. but the kid needs to show a touch more imo when his chances come

In fairness he played against Saints and Wigan. Not easy for a teenage half.
Re: NEW DEAL | Richie Myler - Expires: 2022 Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:35 pm  

Jack Burton wrote:
Jack Burton Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

I think McClelland will be the main backup for the halves, and Myler will be cover for Walker.
PreviousNext