WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - NEW DEAL | Richie Myler - Expires: 2022

Board index Super League Leeds Rhinos - southstander.com NEW DEAL | Richie Myler - Expires: 2022

NEW DEAL | Richie Myler - Expires: 2022 Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:31 am  

Frosties. wrote:
Frosties. 100% League Network
100% League Network

Really pleased with this. He has excelled and shown such professionalism.
Re: NEW DEAL | Richie Myler - Expires: 2022 Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:39 am  

User avatarchristopher wrote:
christopher User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Happy with this, reward for his attitude and looks so much better when not asked to be an organising half back, can cover 9,1 and 6 or 7
Re: NEW DEAL | Richie Myler - Expires: 2022 Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:14 am  

Jrrhino wrote:
Jrrhino Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

He's performances this season have warranted a new deal me personally would have been better just to give him a year but 2 years isn't too drastic and hopefully he isn't taking up so much of the salary cap as well.
Re: NEW DEAL | Richie Myler - Expires: 2022 Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:51 am  

Jack Burton wrote:
Jack Burton Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

I wonder if this means the club have finalised a squad budget for next season.
Re: NEW DEAL | Richie Myler - Expires: 2022 Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:03 am  

User avatarGotcha wrote:
Gotcha User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Just a club in dissaray currently.

We wanted rid before start of last season. We didn't offer a new contract for next season, and he signed elsewhere. That hits problems, and now we resign. Do we actually have a sodding plan at all? it is like pishing in the wind. Just stick a finger in the air. Why in the world do we need him? that is no disrespect to him, but why? he is an half back who can't claim that spot, filling in at fullback because our number one is out, and we should have a suitable cover there without this route.

Really wish I could go back on my option for that season ticket refund now. Would just give it up. We just seem farcical at present.
#frostiesbitches We know who you are.
Re: NEW DEAL | Richie Myler - Expires: 2022 Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:07 am  

User avatarFGB wrote:
FGB User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

As good as he’s been this year at FB, I still shudder at the thought of him nearly kicking us out on the full straight out of SL a cpl years ago. Please do not let him any where near the halves again.
Re: NEW DEAL | Richie Myler - Expires: 2022 Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:11 am  

christopher User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Gotcha wrote:
Really wish I could go back on my option for that season ticket refund now. Would just give it up. We just seem farcical at present.

You've been saying you're going to stop watching the club for years Gotcha, I wonder how many times you've called them farcical over the last 10 years or so?
Re: NEW DEAL | Richie Myler - Expires: 2022 Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:21 am  

User avatarKaeruJim wrote:
KaeruJim User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Gotcha wrote:
Just a club in dissaray currently.

We wanted rid before start of last season. We didn't offer a new contract for next season, and he signed elsewhere. That hits problems, and now we resign. Do we actually have a sodding plan at all? it is like pishing in the wind. Just stick a finger in the air. Why in the world do we need him? that is no disrespect to him, but why? he is an half back who can't claim that spot, filling in at fullback because our number one is out, and we should have a suitable cover there without this route.

I agree with this. Myler is for me a mid-table, solid player but not someone who is part of a title-winning push. We have 2-3 players ahead of him in the halves, 2 players ahead of him at 9 and 1 ahead of him at fullback. He wouldn't be in my game day 17 if everyone else was fit. Is this reflected in his contract?

Unambitious signing based on culture fit - if they have signed him at the right price then fair enough, but if anywhere near original contract they need their bumps feeling. Just how many "experience" signings does this club need?

I can see us needing to ward off interest in our youth talent from NRL in years to come, I'll be angry if we've spent budget on players like this at the expense of retaining those players who could make the club really successful again. We also desperately lack real quality, and I'd rather have a couple of standout signings (like Saints and Wigan do seem to manage...) rather than filling the side with solid-but-unspectacular types. I know that KS believes in hard work and character beating just talent alone, but unfortunately that only takes you so far, and throughout his career he captained players who were better than him and covered for his weaknesses.

It is a fine line between managing a successful culture, and jobs for the boys. Most winning sides have their fair share of conflict because the top performers have challenging characters often (good and bad). We've been burned before by players like Hardaker, but there is a balance to be had where you need a bit of creative spark as well as the solid types who will do a solid job and not rock the boat too much.

Myler seems a good lad and I have been really impressed with his professionalism since we signed Lui and encouraged him to look for another club, you can't fault his attitude. I suppose this is just another "signing of the times" where we probably aren't in the financial position to recruit as we would all like.

On that note, you look at how some SL clubs are really, obviously struggling this year with the impact of the pandemic, and maybe we do need to manage expectations. I keep saying, but I don't believe we will be a true force again until our youth has matured - Newman, Walker, Oledski, Holroyd etc all need another couple of years on them IMO to get to standard. We will have a clutch of England players again when that happens, I'm sure. Signing Myler for 2 years makes me think the club is pretty much resigned to kicking the can down the road and just surviving at the moment.
Re: NEW DEAL | Richie Myler - Expires: 2022 Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:30 am  

christopher User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

KaeruJim wrote:
I keep saying, but I don't believe we will be a true force again until our youth has matured - Newman, Walker, Oledski, Holroyd etc all need another couple of years on them IMO to get to standard. We will have a clutch of England players again when that happens, I'm sure. .

This I totally agree with and I think that's the clubs strategy, unfortunately that means we as fans may have to be a bit more patient.

I also think the club are being cautious with signings because they have asked players to take pay cuts, whether it's the right way or not the club seem to be wanting to keep the current squad as harmonious as possible, asking players to take a pay cut then spending a lot of money on an NRL import doesn't seem right to me.
Re: NEW DEAL | Richie Myler - Expires: 2022 Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:35 am  

Backwoodsman wrote:
Backwoodsman Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

One year contract would have been ideal, two year contract no thanks.
Next