WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Big cuts coming
Re: Big cuts coming Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:03 pm  

dboy wrote:
dboy Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

DHM wrote:

Corona virus's get their name because of what they look like - the sun with a corona. The spike protein on its surface looks like how a kid would draw the sun. :DAISY: (I know that's a daisy but you get the idea).

Not quite...

Corona literally translates as "crown", which describes the actual "shape" of the protein's receptors.

The sun was observed as "having a crown"; a corona, by early astronomers.

Excellent summary on the underpinning science though!
Re: Big cuts coming Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:27 am  

Mark Laurie wrote:
Mark Laurie Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

The toughest bit here could be non rugby staff losing their jobs in the coming year.
Re: Big cuts coming Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:54 am  
Ex-Swarcliffe Rhino User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Yep, deffo.
BELIEVE. BELIEF. BEYOND.

IT AIN'T WHERE YOUR FROM, ITS WHERE YOUR AT.

SWMC Coach's very own timekeeping aficionado & expert stair inspector.
Re: Big cuts coming Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:11 am  

User avatarSal Paradise wrote:
Sal Paradise User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

The toughest bit will be the number of youngsters with potential that will miss out as clubs seek to reduce costs.
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.
Re: Big cuts coming Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:29 pm  

User avatarbatleyrhino wrote:
batleyrhino User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Smart clubs will cut the more expensive costs and keep the kids on, knowing that a sacrifice today can pay back multiple times by giving the kids a chance to develop properly. I think we will be one of the clubs that retain most of our younger talents.
It's not how much talent you've got, it's what you do with it that counts.
Re: Big cuts coming Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:50 pm  

Sal Paradise User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

batleyrhino wrote:
Smart clubs will cut the more expensive costs and keep the kids on, knowing that a sacrifice today can pay back multiple times by giving the kids a chance to develop properly. I think we will be one of the clubs that retain most of our younger talents.

Developing kids is very expensive - the success-rate is very low 10% - you also have coaching medical support costs - the clubs soon agreed to scrap the reserves when going got tough. Most of our top kids will end up in the NRL
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.
Re: Big cuts coming Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:53 pm  

User avatarLeedsLurch wrote:
LeedsLurch User avatar
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Sal Paradise wrote:
Developing kids is very expensive - the success-rate is very low 10% - you also have coaching medical support costs - the clubs soon agreed to scrap the reserves when going got tough. Most of our top kids will end up in the NRL

I dont know what makes you think that ther NRL is so much better off financialy. Yes they have bigger budgets and salary caps than us but they are all looking to shed costs too. Maybe not quite as much as over here as they aren't as dependant on match day monies but they all have been hit too
Loving the success and the silverware, keep them coming :)
Re: Big cuts coming Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:57 pm  

Sal Paradise User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

LeedsLurch wrote:
I dont know what makes you think that ther NRL is so much better off financialy. Yes they have bigger budgets and salary caps than us but they are all looking to shed costs too. Maybe not quite as much as over here as they aren't as dependant on match day monies but they all have been hit too

The NRL want our talent - they know the cheapest way is to get them when they are young and put them through their coaching programs. Deals like Bateman's are bad news for the Aussies
Re: Big cuts coming Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:16 am  

lionarmour87 wrote:
lionarmour87 Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

I only hope things dont get worse a second big spike could be disastrous
Soon we will be dancing the Fandango

FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB'S DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESS THEN I DONT KNOW WHAT IS.
JAMIE PEACOCK
Re: Big cuts coming Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:20 am  

Darhinogian wrote:
Darhinogian Stevo's Armpit

Sal Paradise wrote:
The NRL want our talent - they know the cheapest way is to get them when they are young and put them through their coaching programs. Deals like Bateman's are bad news for the Aussies

I know most clubs have said they are only offering amateur contracts to the current 2nd year academy players apart from the few they may have already tied up with first team contracts . The scholarship are also becoming u17s next year so that older group won't be getting paid either , so the NRL can pick up some of our young talent for free or thereabouts (not the first team contracted) .

As I've said on another teams thread we are going to lose all but a few of a generation here and the clubs will no doubt come out with the "We don't know why that happened" .

My lad falls under the 2nd year academy lot and been part of the England elite training group most years ,even he's thinking of defecting to football as he can earn enough money at National League North level ,a level he's is easily good enough for . He's wanted to play pro Rugby League since 8 years old , if he's thinking of quitting I'm sure a lot more are . Why suddenly have to train and play for free at that level when clubs can afford to splash out on overseas signings .

More than ever I fear for the future of Rugby League.
PreviousNext