WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Big cuts coming
Big cuts coming Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:54 am  

lionarmour87 wrote:
lionarmour87 Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:43 pm
Posts: 7159
Location: Leeds
Leeds having to make big cuts across the board to try to stay afloat . Could this be 1990s revisited?
Soon we will be dancing the Fandango




FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB'S DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESS THEN I DONT KNOW WHAT IS.
JAMIE PEACOCK
Re: Big cuts coming Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:05 am  

ploinerrhino wrote:
ploinerrhino Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:26 am
Posts: 1341
lionarmour87 wrote:
Leeds having to make big cuts across the board to try to stay afloat . Could this be 1990s revisited?


:roll:
Re: Big cuts coming Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:03 am  

User avatarClearwing wrote:
Clearwing User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:11 am
Posts: 7864
Whole game has got to be on a knife edge already. Even localised lockdowns after the restart will utterly kill some clubs I'd imagine.
"Look, I'd never use injuries as an excuse..." Daryl Powell
Re: Big cuts coming Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:25 am  

User avatarDHM wrote:
DHM User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Thu May 25, 2006 4:13 pm
Posts: 8717
Location: Garth's Darkplace.
It's awful. Just an awful, horrible place everybody is in at the moment. I'm lucky, my job is safe but it's changed - I can't do any of the interesting bits because that involves travel and meeting people. That should come back and I am very thankful, no furlough, no pay cut.

This was coming though - there was warning after warning, lucky escape after lucky escape. We are now looking at radical changes to the development and validation processes for vaccines, we can't sit around for 10 years anymore. Thank Christ this is not like MERS which has a fatality rate of over 30%, or even Ebola. But it could be next time.

Hopefully vaccine by Autumn if all goes well.
"Well, I think in Rugby League if you head butt someone there's normally some repercusions"
Re: Big cuts coming Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:22 am  

User avatarGotcha wrote:
Gotcha User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2002 1:11 pm
Posts: 17129
DHM wrote:
It's awful. Just an awful, horrible place everybody is in at the moment. I'm lucky, my job is safe but it's changed - I can't do any of the interesting bits because that involves travel and meeting people. That should come back and I am very thankful, no furlough, no pay cut.

This was coming though - there was warning after warning, lucky escape after lucky escape. We are now looking at radical changes to the development and validation processes for vaccines, we can't sit around for 10 years anymore. Thank Christ this is not like MERS which has a fatality rate of over 30%, or even Ebola. But it could be next time.

Hopefully vaccine by Autumn if all goes well.


Whilst agree with everything you say here, I will be amazed if we ever have a vaccine, never mind within the next year. And you are right warning after warning, but not sure they still will have learned.
#frostiesbitches We know who you are.
Re: Big cuts coming Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:08 am  

User avatarDHM wrote:
DHM User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Thu May 25, 2006 4:13 pm
Posts: 8717
Location: Garth's Darkplace.
Gotcha wrote:
Whilst agree with everything you say here, I will be amazed if we ever have a vaccine, never mind within the next year. And you are right warning after warning, but not sure they still will have learned.


I am wondering why you think there won't be a vaccine?

There are half a dozen vaccines in advanced development and one that is undergoing efficacy studies right now in UK, Brazil and South Africa (that's phase 3 prior to launch). It's set to commence a very large scale study in the US in August - 30,000 participants. The vaccine is being bulk manufactured now by AstraZeneca.

The first 20 minutes or so of this tells you where we are at the moment.

https://youtu.be/o_6cM2EvXaI
"Well, I think in Rugby League if you head butt someone there's normally some repercusions"
Re: Big cuts coming Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:57 am  

User avatarGotcha wrote:
Gotcha User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2002 1:11 pm
Posts: 17129
DHM wrote:
I am wondering why you think there won't be a vaccine?

There are half a dozen vaccines in advanced development and one that is undergoing efficacy studies right now in UK, Brazil and South Africa (that's phase 3 prior to launch). It's set to commence a very large scale study in the US in August - 30,000 participants. The vaccine is being bulk manufactured now by AstraZeneca.

The first 20 minutes or so of this tells you where we are at the moment.

https://youtu.be/o_6cM2EvXaI


Because of what you rightly put in the first place. We have been here before. How many years ago was Sars? we still have no vaccine. They can say whatever they want, until something is tangible it doesn't mean it is happening, and like I said would be amazed if it was different this time.
#frostiesbitches We know who you are.
Re: Big cuts coming Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:07 am  

User avatarLeedsLurch wrote:
LeedsLurch User avatar
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:25 am
Posts: 385
Normally it takes 3 years for a vaccine to hit the market, not sure I would be willing to use one that's been pushed through in months. Who knows what the long term effects are!
Loving the success and the silverware, keep them coming :)
Re: Big cuts coming Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:16 pm  

User avatarDHM wrote:
DHM User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Thu May 25, 2006 4:13 pm
Posts: 8717
Location: Garth's Darkplace.
Gotcha wrote:
Because of what you rightly put in the first place. We have been here before. How many years ago was Sars? we still have no vaccine. They can say whatever they want, until something is tangible it doesn't mean it is happening, and like I said would be amazed if it was different this time.


You need to study history in a little more detail. Anthony Fauci was asked this exact question during one televised briefing. I'll paraphrase: There is no Sars vaccine because we don't need one. Several were developed but by the time they were going to pass through regulatory approval the virus had disappeared. Nobody has been working on a Sars vaccine for well over a decade. Sars Cov-1 displayed different pathology to Covid 19. It presented severe symptoms very quickly - 2-3 days - so track and trace of immediate contacts was highly effective. That's why it was easier to control and eradicate. Also, well worth remembering that the disease never reached the West and was never declared a pandemic.

Covid 19 is actually pretty straightforward as a virus, 4 proteins all showing none or very slow mutation. The proteins are relatively easy to clone and produce. The Oxford vaccine uses a tried and tested vector - a simian virus with the Covid 19 spike protein added (and to answer LeedsLurch) this has been used safely for other vaccines. Monitoring of the immune response to the vaccine is what we supply tools to do - we already do it for pneumonia vaccines. I work on this stuff and I'll be happy to be first in line for a jab - especially at my age. There will also be more than one vaccine in the next 12 months and beyond. Covid 19 is not going away. Even a strong protective response from a vaccine is only predicted to last a few short years, natural immunity form having the disease is predicted to last only months (how many we don't know yet).

The timelines have been shortened for one simple reason - the economic impact of a global pandemic. We (and I say "we" because myself and my company are heavily involved) have seen unprecedented co-operation between researchers, regulators and big pharma. Nobody wants to be seen to be "obstructive" when so many lives are being lost. When you have so much resource available and you combine that with a team at Oxford who were already a long way towards the goal because of the work being done with their MERS vaccine, things can happen quickly.
This is how we are going to have to do things in the future because this is not the last global pandemic we will see. China and other underdeveloped countries need to rethink their entire social attitude towards animal husbandry because global travel being the way it is it is going to happen again and again.
"Well, I think in Rugby League if you head butt someone there's normally some repercusions"
Re: Big cuts coming Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:28 pm  

User avatarGotcha wrote:
Gotcha User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2002 1:11 pm
Posts: 17129
DHM wrote:
You need to study history in a little more detail. Anthony Fauci was asked this exact question during one televised briefing. I'll paraphrase: There is no Sars vaccine because we don't need one. Several were developed but by the time they were going to pass through regulatory approval the virus had disappeared. Nobody has been working on a Sars vaccine for well over a decade. Sars Cov-1 displayed different pathology to Covid 19. It presented severe symptoms very quickly - 2-3 days - so track and trace of immediate contacts was highly effective. That's why it was easier to control and eradicate. Also, well worth remembering that the disease never reached the West and was never declared a pandemic.

Covid 19 is actually pretty straightforward as a virus, 4 proteins all showing none or very slow mutation. The proteins are relatively easy to clone and produce. The Oxford vaccine uses a tried and tested vector - a simian virus with the Covid 19 spike protein added (and to answer LeedsLurch) this has been used safely for other vaccines. Monitoring of the immune response to the vaccine is what we supply tools to do - we already do it for pneumonia vaccines. I work on this stuff and I'll be happy to be first in line for a jab - especially at my age. There will also be more than one vaccine in the next 12 months and beyond. Covid 19 is not going away. Even a strong protective response from a vaccine is only predicted to last a few short years, natural immunity form having the disease is predicted to last only months (how many we don't know yet).

The timelines have been shortened for one simple reason - the economic impact of a global pandemic. We (and I say "we" because myself and my company are heavily involved) have seen unprecedented co-operation between researchers, regulators and big pharma. Nobody wants to be seen to be "obstructive" when so many lives are being lost. When you have so much resource available and you combine that with a team at Oxford who were already a long way towards the goal because of the work being done with their MERS vaccine, things can happen quickly.
This is how we are going to have to do things in the future because this is not the last global pandemic we will see. China and other underdeveloped countries need to rethink their entire social attitude towards animal husbandry because global travel being the way it is it is going to happen again and again.


Lets just see. I am not so naive with that. Sars vaccine would never have happened, regardless of dissapearing naturally. These things are never learned from. If it happens, then great all good, I just doubt it.
#frostiesbitches We know who you are.
Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Brodie123, christopher, FGB, flipper, Gotcha, gulfcoast_highwayman, Jrrhino, leedsbarmyarmy, Pill rhino, Towns88 and 247 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to Leeds Rhinos - southstander.com


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
5,054,4541,12478,1524,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and fixtures and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
YOU HAVE RL CHAT OFF
YOU HAVE RL FIXTURES OFF
RLFANS Recent Posts








Please Support RLFANS.COM