WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Out 2021 | Stevie Ward - Retirement

Board index Super League Leeds Rhinos - southstander.com Out 2021 | Stevie Ward - Retirement

Re: Player | Stevie Ward Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:48 pm  

Lprhino wrote:
Lprhino Stevo's Armpit

The Ghost of '99 wrote:
It very much is to do with the head issues.
I imagine there's a chance the club are being silent because this whole thing may be being bogged down in litigation.

Firstly I didn’t see the interview or show but if Stevie ward is of the opinion he has sustained a serious brain injury I would suggest he is somewhat misguided. Serious brain injuries are indeed serious and normally have huge cognitive, emotional and physical consequences. I am not saying he doesn’t have those but some context is important.

Stevie ward appears to have ongoing consequences of concussion potentially repeated concussions which have caused some relatively minor brain injury. This is a fairly new area in terms of concussion protocol and HIA.

Steve ward did not suffer a prolonged period of unconsciousness (more than 5-10 mins) I doubt he has any prolonged post traumatic amnesia although he could have some, he didn’t suffer a skull fracture from what was reported and I would be incredibly surprised if he had any evidence of neuroradiological abnormality including subdural haematoma, cerebral contusion and or hemorrhagic contusion. Those are some of the basic tools for classification under the Mayo classification criteria for head injury.

The idea there would be some kind of litigation baffles me. Litigation over what? That the club didn’t follow HiA procedure? My recall was he had a head bang, went off and didn’t return and didn’t play again.

Potentially the poor lad has long lasting impact from a concussive event, it can happen but it doesn’t happen often. Just think some perspective over him suffering some kind of major brain injury is a bit disrespectful to those who have or have family members who have suffered serious brain injuries.

All in all very sad if he is going to retire due to this, but the idea there will be some kind of litigation seems absolutely ridiculous to me.
Re: Player | Stevie Ward Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:28 pm  
The Ghost of '99 User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

I'm not saying there is or isn't but if an employee suffers significant loss of both livelihood and quality of life due to an incident at work that's often the direction things go.
"Brian McDermott, with a wry smile, nods when asked if he remembers a specific incident which made him realise he was a prick. 'I do', he murmurs."
Re: Player | Stevie Ward Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:10 pm  

Lprhino wrote:
Lprhino Stevo's Armpit

The Ghost of '99 wrote:
I'm not saying there is or isn't but if an employee suffers significant loss of both livelihood and quality of life due to an incident at work that's often the direction things go.

Only if the employer has been negligent. I imagine he will have received full pay whilst not playing, had access to very high level private medical assistance and investigations. If he could show that the club knew he was vulnerable or sent him back on or suggested he played again when still complaining of an issue then maybe that would be negligent. Playing rugby, suffering a concussion, failing return to play protocol and then not playing again is as far as I can see not negligent in any way.
Re: Player | Stevie Ward Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:02 pm  

bdrhino wrote:
bdrhino Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

It's a shame we aren't insured for the loss of such a valuable asset.
Re: Player | Stevie Ward Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:57 pm  

D4mo78 wrote:
D4mo78 Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

bdrhino wrote:
It's a shame we aren't insured for the loss of such a valuable asset.

It's a shame that Stevie, a young lad with a shed load of ability and who has already had his share of injuries and mental health battles, looks to have played his last game
Re: Player | Stevie Ward Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:51 pm  

bdrhino wrote:
bdrhino Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

I thought that was obvious.
Re: Player | Stevie Ward Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:50 pm  
Marty Grrrrrrrrrr! Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Last edited by Marty Grrrrrrrrrr! on Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Player | Stevie Ward Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:03 pm  

Jack Burton wrote:
Jack Burton Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

What's the problem?
Re: Player | Stevie Ward Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:20 pm  

User avatarRHINO-MARK wrote:
RHINO-MARK User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Marty Grrrrrrrrrr! wrote:
Might be a major issue with Sam Walters unfortunately so we could be in need of another back rower.

Whats happened?
I really am rhinoms and haven't stolen his Avatar!
Re: Player | Stevie Ward Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:29 pm  

User avatarchristopher wrote:
christopher User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

What’s the point in posting that Marty? if you’ve got info post it?
PreviousNext