WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Out 2021 | Stevie Ward - Retirement

Board index Super League Leeds Rhinos - southstander.com Out 2021 | Stevie Ward - Retirement

Re: Player | Stevie Ward Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:17 pm  

Jack Burton wrote:
Jack Burton Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

With hindsight, it felt like it was always going to end this way. So sad, he could have been one of the best in the world.
Re: Player | Stevie Ward Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:22 pm  

User avatarNickyKiss wrote:
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

What a shame, he’s a real loss to the sport. I recall coming on here at a time he was getting a bit of stick for not kicking on and likening him to Sean O’Loughlin. Lockers had a solid but unspectacular start to his Wigan career, improved, then busted his knee and took a while to hit the level everyone knew he was capable of. I saw Stevie Ward as following a similar path if he could get fit and stay fit and after that spell I mention, he did start to move forward (including that hatrick against us at Headingley) but then the injuries came around again.

We don’t produce many players you feel could go on to be World Class in this country and we’ve lost one to the game through no fault of his. A real shame and good luck to him.
Re: Player | Stevie Ward Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:21 pm  

Trebor1 wrote:
Trebor1 Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

NickyKiss wrote:
What a shame, he’s a real loss to the sport. I recall coming on here at a time he was getting a bit of stick for not kicking on and likening him to Sean O’Loughlin. Lockers had a solid but unspectacular start to his Wigan career, improved, then busted his knee and took a while to hit the level everyone knew he was capable of. I saw Stevie Ward as following a similar path if he could get fit and stay fit and after that spell I mention, he did start to move forward (including that hatrick against us at Headingley) but then the injuries came around again.

We don’t produce many players you feel could go on to be World Class in this country and we’ve lost one to the game through no fault of his. A real shame and good luck to him.

Well said. A big loss to the game and to Leeds. Would have been an all time great imo for Leeds. Best of luck to the lad
Re: Player | Stevie Ward Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:31 pm  

Boots wrote:
Boots Stevo's Armpit

A very sad to his career . He was a very talented player who produced some magic moments . He always played far above his weight and size , and had that touch of class , that put him above many other players .
As has been said , his health must come first and foremost - here`s to a full recovery and a healthy future.
Re: Player | Stevie Ward Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:27 am  

User avatarBiff Tannen wrote:
Biff Tannen User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

a sad end to a career but he has to look after his long term health now and he seems a really bright lad so is bound to have plenty of options in the future.

he really could imo have been one of the greats of his era not just in SL but on the international stage had he not been so prone to injury but he he still achieved plenty and left his mark at the club.
What you looking at?....Butt Head!!
Re: Player | Stevie Ward Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:24 am  
Marty Grrrrrrrrrr! Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Real shame outstanding player when fit but hes an outstanding kid and will be successful in life whatever he does. His long term health has to be the priority hopefully he makes a full recovery.
Re: Player | Stevie Ward Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:31 pm  

Seth wrote:
Seth Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

I'm not convinced it's still down to the head injury sustained. The club have been relatively very quiet about everything considering the context. He was always the standout player from his days at Churwell to being voted player of the year at service area level year after year. Wish him all the best with his future.
Re: Player | Stevie Ward Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:18 am  
The Ghost of '99 User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Seth wrote:
I'm not convinced it's still down to the head injury sustained. The club have been relatively very quiet about everything considering the context. He was always the standout player from his days at Churwell to being voted player of the year at service area level year after year. Wish him all the best with his future.

It very much is to do with the head issues.
I imagine there's a chance the club are being silent because this whole thing may be being bogged down in litigation.
"Brian McDermott, with a wry smile, nods when asked if he remembers a specific incident which made him realise he was a prick. 'I do', he murmurs."
Re: Player | Stevie Ward Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:34 am  

User avatarNeruda wrote:
Neruda User avatar
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Seth wrote:

what an odd opinion.
Re: Player | Stevie Ward Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:08 pm  

rugbyleague88 Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

The Ghost of '99 wrote:
It very much is to do with the head issues.
I imagine there's a chance the club are being silent because this whole thing may be being bogged down in litigation.

Litigation over what?
PreviousNext