Next generation
Post Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:24 pm
Posted by Shabino on Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:24 pm
Shabino Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Reputation Points: 19
Rep Position: 297th / 78,036

Quiz Score: 0

With the current depressing state of playing affairs, thought I'd try and generate some hope. I hear sky of people on here saying we need patience and a new set of very special players are coming through.
I have to say I've not seen any of the young players loom that special, and our young fullback is perhaps not as good as we were hoping either.
Is this hope on the youngsters rise tinted, or are we genuinely looking at some players who will be world class?
Also out of interest, what would our team look like if some of these players were thrown in now with let's say,
Walker, ward, Ava, Prior, Gale, Leeming, Martin retaining a place?
Re: Next generation
Post Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:05 pm
Posted by Marty Grrrrrrrrrr! on Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:05 pm
Marty Grrrrrrrrrr! Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 500
Rep Position: 42nd / 78,036

Quiz Score: 4

Weve played 1 game.
Post Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:09 pm
Posted by Him on Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:09 pm
Him User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 455
Rep Position: 50th / 78,036

Quiz Score: 4

To me we appear to be going through a very similar period as Wigan did when their legends moved on. It took them several years and a lot of stress and poor to average performances to work their way back up. I think it’ll take us just as long, if not longer as the league is more competitive than back then too.

I think we have a lot of promising young players, but at the moment they’re nothing more than that. That’s not a criticism, just we as fans often get far too carried away with a few decent academy performances and then expect miracles from them in the first team.

Walker for instance. Clearly a potential top player but has limitations to his game at the moment. Was at least partially at fault for one of Hull’s tries. Again, I’m not overly criticising him, just pointing out that we treat him like an established pro even though he’s what? 19? In the NRL he’d likely be playing a couple of years in their feeder clubs before graduating to the first team at an older age. We expect a fully formed full back at a younger age.

For me we have to readjust our expectations for a few years and realise we’re a mid table team. If we’re comfortably avoiding the relegation battle this year then that’s an improvement on last. Then we should look to maintain mid-table or bottom end of playoffs. Get a couple of seasons of playoffs and then look to move up to top 2/3.

We’re talking 5 years plus in my opinion and the threat of relegation should not be underestimated when people bemoan some of our recent signings etc
Post Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:12 pm
Posted by malcadele on Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:12 pm
malcadele Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Reputation Points: 103
Rep Position: 213th / 78,036

It was disappointing on Sunday but yes,it’s one game and it’s not how you start a season it’s the finish that counts?
Grasping at straws ?lol
Post Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:34 pm
Posted by Shabino on Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:34 pm
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Him wrote:
To me we appear to be going through a very similar period as Wigan did when their legends moved on. It took them several years and a lot of stress and poor to average performances to work their way back up. I think it’ll take us just as long, if not longer as the league is more competitive than back then too.

I think we have a lot of promising young players, but at the moment they’re nothing more than that. That’s not a criticism, just we as fans often get far too carried away with a few decent academy performances and then expect miracles from them in the first team.

Walker for instance. Clearly a potential top player but has limitations to his game at the moment. Was at least partially at fault for one of Hull’s tries. Again, I’m not overly criticising him, just pointing out that we treat him like an established pro even though he’s what? 19? In the NRL he’d likely be playing a couple of years in their feeder clubs before graduating to the first team at an older age. We expect a fully formed full back at a younger age.

For me we have to readjust our expectations for a few years and realise we’re a mid table team. If we’re comfortably avoiding the relegation battle this year then that’s an improvement on last. Then we should look to maintain mid-table or bottom end of playoffs. Get a couple of seasons of playoffs and then look to move up to top 2/3.

We’re talking 5 years plus in my opinion and the threat of relegation should not be underestimated when people bemoan some of our recent signings etc

Wow, great post. Given me some much needed perspective!
Post Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:42 pm
Posted by Clearwing on Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:42 pm
Clearwing User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 623
Rep Position: 23rd / 78,036

When too many senior players are average, a youngster has to be mega special to make any impact. Any less and they become a project which at times will prove to be a liability.

Tricky business, balancing a squad. If you can't sign players of the right quality in the positions you need them most you're often looking at 2 or more years before you get another proper stab at it.
"Look, I'd never use injuries as an excuse..." Daryl Powell
Post Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:12 am
Posted by RHINO-MARK on Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:12 am
RHINO-MARK User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 350
Rep Position: 72nd / 78,036

Quiz Score: 48

Him wrote:

Which could and should be easily avoided with the right recruitment & right Coaching set up in place.
I really am rhinoms and haven't stolen his Avatar!
Post Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:40 am
Posted by Fallon on Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:40 am
Fallon Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 205
Rep Position: 134th / 78,036

All this 'its only one game' stuff is rubbish for me.

It's not one game, it's multiple seasons of the same issues, and that's what gets my goat.
Post Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:53 am
Posted by Shabino on Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:53 am
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Fallon wrote:
All this 'its only one game' stuff is rubbish for me.

It's not one game, it's multiple seasons of the same issues, and that's what gets my goat.

Agree Fallon. That's why it's so depressing!
Post Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:03 am
Posted by lionarmour87 on Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:03 am
lionarmour87 Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 343
Rep Position: 74th / 78,036

In the clubs history how many sustained successful eras has there been ? I would say 3 . 30s mid 60s early 70s and first 15 years of this century. Yes the club won things in other decades ,but talking about periods of sustained glory by great Leeds teams . It comes round once in awhile its not guaranteed. We all said not so many years ago ' let's enjoy this because it wont last forever '
Soon we will be dancing the Fandango

FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB'S DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESS THEN I DONT KNOW WHAT IS.
JAMIE PEACOCK
Next