Post Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:46 am
Posted by RHINO-MARK on Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:46 am
RHINO-MARK User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 321
Rep Position: 73rd / 77,841

Quiz Score: 48

As it stands we have Lui Myler & Mclellend as our HB options.
I think we ALL agree that's average at best if we want to be competing amongst the top 3 again.
Lui has been steady but again I stick by what I said when we signed him he isn't good enough nor the "type" of HB we need.
Mclellend is rumoured to be going on loan to HKR for the season so other than Gale surely we would be targeting at least another HB as well as Gale?
For me we need this sorting asap the pack rebuild is a blockbusting Prop and BR away from near completion but HB is still a huge issue.
I really am rhinoms and haven't stolen his Avatar!
Re: HALF BACKS!
Post Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:01 am
Posted by fanstanningley on Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:01 am
fanstanningley User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 117
Rep Position: 183rd / 77,841

Quiz Score: 0

RHINO-MARK wrote:
I think we ALL agree that's average at best if we want to be competing amongst the top 3 again.
Lui has been steady but again I stick by what I said when we signed him he isn't good enough nor the "type" of HB we need.
Mclellend is rumoured to be going on loan to HKR for the season so other than Gale surely we would be targeting at least another HB as well as Gale?
For me we need this sorting asap the pack rebuild is a blockbusting Prop and BR away from near completion but HB is still a huge issue.
I like Lui and if we can sign a quality 7 that will do for me.Unless we can move some front rowers on we wont be signing a prop.We don't need anymore back rowers as that is the strongest part of our team.We also have Walters and Trout waiting for their chance.
I'm not a pheasant plucker, i'm a pheasant pluckers son and i'm only plucking pheasants till the pheasant plucker comes.
Post Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:08 am
Posted by KaeruJim on Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:08 am
KaeruJim User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 746
Rep Position: 12th / 77,841

Lui, Gale/another and McLelland would do me for next year. That’s a good enough combo to push for the top end of the table if we get the balance right elsewhere.

Agree with prop but rather get the right standard in 2021 than another gap filler now. We need to start signing for winning not just surviving.
Post Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:25 am
Posted by batleyrhino on Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:25 am
batleyrhino User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 320
Rep Position: 74th / 77,841

Doesn’t matter who your halves are if the pack gets battered. Sort the front row out first, then the rest.

We’ve way too many average (at best) props.
It's not how much talent you've got, it's what you do with it that counts.
Post Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:40 am
Posted by fanstanningley on Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:40 am
fanstanningley User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 117
Rep Position: 183rd / 77,841

batleyrhino wrote:
Doesn’t matter who your halves are if the pack gets battered. Sort the front row out first, then the rest.

I agree but we have to find a way of moving our average contracted props out.Who's going to take any of them?
I'm not a pheasant plucker, i'm a pheasant pluckers son and i'm only plucking pheasants till the pheasant plucker comes.
Post Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:43 am
Posted by Les Norton on Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:43 am
Les Norton User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 101
Rep Position: 197th / 77,841

batleyrhino wrote:

Spot on. I’m really hoping we don’t make a desperation half back signing
Last edited by Les Norton on Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:51 am
Posted by batleyrhino on Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:51 am
batleyrhino User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 320
Rep Position: 74th / 77,841

Over the next 12 months we need to move on Cuthbertson, Singleton and Petaru, as none of them are the required standard. My guess is that none of them would go this closed season as there wouldn’t be any takers, so we’re more than likely stuck with them.

I’d actually try to sort out the right wing. Briscoe isn’t going to be back for a while, and even then there are question marks about his future. We need a winger who can bring the ball back well, and is a good finisher, but I don’t see so many FT options.
It's not how much talent you've got, it's what you do with it that counts.
Post Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:03 am
Posted by Clearwing on Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:03 am
Clearwing User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 567
Rep Position: 24th / 77,841

RHINO-MARK wrote:

Don't disagree but the fact we're gambling on a player with the serious injuries that Gale's had only illustrates how difficult signing one decent half is proving, let alone two.
"The problem when you play Leeds is that they are a huge 'confidence' side. If you get on top of them, they will cower and go away, but when they get in front their chests puff out and they start whooping as they make tackles. " (Jon Wilkin)

“Leeds just wander around looking like they’re doing nothing” (Jon Wilkin)

"Jon Wilkin's tight pants and coffee shop have not helped him to see the bigger picture or allowed him to get a firm grip on reality." (leeds owl)
Post Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:15 am
Posted by Ex-Swarcliffe Rhino on Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:15 am
Ex-Swarcliffe Rhino User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 217
Rep Position: 116th / 77,841

We are in a pickle. We have players who can do a job, just not consistently to the required standard, to improve them we need a coach who is able to improve the players at his disposal as we are really going to struggle to plug all the gaps with new signings in one hit.

This is where my doubts arise in Agar, has he the nous and ability to coach the players up to a decent standard? With a decent No 2 i think we can push them on somewhat to a better level, im just concerned that the fragile mindset we have acquired is going to hamper and gains we make in the squad and this need addressing first and foremost.
BELIEVE. BELIEF. BEYOND.

IT AIN'T WHERE YOUR FROM, ITS WHERE YOUR AT.

SWMC Coach's very own timekeeping aficionado & expert stair inspector.
Post Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:55 am
Posted by Marty Grrrrrrrrrr! on Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:55 am
Marty Grrrrrrrrrr! Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 426
Rep Position: 47th / 77,841

Quiz Score: 4

Need a 7 with good hamstrings so they can catch the ball down off his boot laces on the odd occasion Dwyer passes the ball to him.

Let's wait and see what happens.
Next