Posted by FearTheVee on Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:41 pm
FearTheVee User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 131
Rep Position: 179th / 77,858

Quiz Score: 0

BrisbaneRhino wrote:
There's not much point comparing players from different eras except in how dominant they were/are. Brian Bevan would be hopeless today. Offiah would be a different player now as would Makinson if he played in the 80s.

Offiah at his peak was light years ahead of any British wingers at the same time. Makinson is nowhere near as dominant.

Agree entirely. It's credit to TM that this discussion even exists but Offiah is an all time great of the sport and ball in hand attacking with a bit of space in front of them there is no comparison.

As far as some of the other fundamentals of the modern game - the wingers role has changed perhaps more than any other in the sport over time - clearing your line, ability under the high ball, defence etc TM is streets ahead but that's not enough to tip him into that sort of company.

As far as the "modern" winger is concerned though, there are few in his bracket. I'd say him and Charnley are comfortably the best we have as far as English wingers are concerned.
Re: Ryan Hall
Post Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:01 pm
Posted by tigertot on Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:01 pm
tigertot User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 589
Rep Position: 22nd / 77,858

Quiz Score: 308

BrisbaneRhino wrote:
Offiah at his peak was light years ahead of any British wingers at the same time. Makinson is nowhere near as dominant.

He's a great winger no doubt, but it's only a couple of years since McGillvary looked the WBW, preceded by Hall. Makinson is not as dominant or terrifying as Offiah was.
The best things in life are not things.
A member of the victorious liberal metropolitan elite.
Post Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:23 pm
Posted by Gotcha on Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:23 pm
Gotcha User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 532
Rep Position: 31st / 77,858

FearTheVee wrote:
Agree entirely. It's credit to TM that this discussion even exists but Offiah is an all time great of the sport and ball in hand attacking with a bit of space in front of them there is no comparison.

As far as some of the other fundamentals of the modern game - the wingers role has changed perhaps more than any other in the sport over time - clearing your line, ability under the high ball, defence etc TM is streets ahead but that's not enough to tip him into that sort of company.

As far as the "modern" winger is concerned though, there are few in his bracket. I'd say him and Charnley are comfortably the best we have as far as English wingers are concerned.

I am a big fan of Makinson, a very big fan. Nothing close to a one trick pony, his allround game is brilliant. That said, I have to say, injuries aside as such a shame, but I think a fully fit Dom Manfredi is the single best winger I have seen in years in the British game. Shame he can't get on the pitch.
#frostiesbitches We know who you are.
Post Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:31 pm
Posted by fanstanningley on Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:31 pm
fanstanningley User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 125
Rep Position: 184th / 77,858

Gotcha wrote:
I am a big fan of Makinson, a very big fan. Nothing close to a one trick pony, his allround game is brilliant. That said, I have to say, injuries aside as such a shame, but I think a fully fit Dom Manfredi is the single best winger I have seen in years in the British game. Shame he can't get on the pitch.
I agree Manfredi is one of those freak type players absolutely brilliant.Massive fan Makinson also.Whats your views on Johnstone Gotcha?
Last edited by fanstanningley on Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not a pheasant plucker, i'm a pheasant pluckers son and i'm only plucking pheasants till the pheasant plucker comes.
Post Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:32 pm
Posted by FearTheVee on Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:32 pm
FearTheVee User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 131
Rep Position: 179th / 77,858

Gotcha wrote:

Good shout - looked a fabulous prospect when fit.
Post Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:12 pm
Posted by chapylad on Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:12 pm
chapylad Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 277
Rep Position: 94th / 77,858

Johnstone for me when fit is on a par with Makinson and the same can be said for Manfredi too.
But as it stands and due to games missed through injury it has to be Makinson as the best in SL.
Post Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:23 pm
Posted by Charlie Sheen on Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:23 pm
Charlie Sheen User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 526
Rep Position: 33rd / 77,858

Johnstone is shocking defensively. As good in attack as any winger, but awful in defence.
King Monkey wrote:
Maybe a spell in prison would do Graham good.

At least he'd lose his virginity.
Post Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:15 pm
Posted by fanstanningley on Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:15 pm
fanstanningley User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 125
Rep Position: 184th / 77,858

Charlie Sheen wrote:
Johnstone is shocking defensively. As good in attack as any winger, but awful in defence.
That can be fixed with good coaching.
I'm not a pheasant plucker, i'm a pheasant pluckers son and i'm only plucking pheasants till the pheasant plucker comes.
Post Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:09 pm
Posted by gulfcoast_highwayman on Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:09 pm
gulfcoast_highwayman User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 60
Rep Position: 246th / 77,858

KaeruJim wrote:
Yes agree mate; people tend to focus only on the glory moments of players going forward. Offiah was terrible in D. One of the greatest ever weapons in attack but certainly not the complete player.

Hall has certainly been one of our best wingers, although again not great in D sometimes. I can't think of that many others really: Scott Donald and Marcus Bai come to mind, but then we're into Rivett, Pratt, Bentley, Fallon, Cummins, Briscoe territory who were all a step below IMO.

Calderwood is a glaring omission from that list. Certainly a better winger than Cummins, Bentley, Pratt and Rivett. He didn't only have electric pace, he was a willing worker in the team too.
Leeds Rhinos? 8 for you, Leeds Rhinos! You go, Leeds Rhinos.

And none for Castleford Tigers. Bye!
Post Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:11 pm
Posted by gulfcoast_highwayman on Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:11 pm
gulfcoast_highwayman User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 60
Rep Position: 246th / 77,858

And something I was wondering recently. Given the pace that Paul Medley had (second to Offiah in GB pace tests in the late 80's), do you think he could have been made to be a half decent winger in the modern game, instead of the slightly soft forward he had to be in his own time.
Leeds Rhinos? 8 for you, Leeds Rhinos! You go, Leeds Rhinos.

And none for Castleford Tigers. Bye!
PreviousNext