WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - NEW DEAL | Cameron Smith - Expires: 2020

Board index Super League Leeds Rhinos - southstander.com NEW DEAL | Cameron Smith - Expires: 2020

Posted by KaeruJim on Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:51 am
KaeruJim User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 790
Rep Position: 11th / 77,904

Quiz Score: 0

batleyrhino wrote:
I’d actually rather see Wardy as a wide threat, he has more pace.

Ward is the only England-quality player in the whole squad now, we've really missed him this year.

Really hope the lad can get fit and stay fit for us going forward.

It's funny how we've signed Mellor and Martin as a priority. Both have some pace, which is maybe something the club is looking to address.

I believe they've had Trout playing centre too out on loan.

Anyway, another year is a good call and hopefully Smith will develop under a more consistent regime now.
Posted by KaeruJim on Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:01 am
KaeruJim User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

fanstanningley wrote:
So do i.Next season I would play Smith at 13 Ward and Merrin 11 12.Merrin can move to 13 later in the game if we want Merrin to play big minutes.

I suspect Martin will nail down a second row spot actually once he settles. He is quick, and we've really lacked that from the pack.

Martin, Ward, Sutcliffe, Mellor would be my "experienced" selection for second row next year with Trout, Walters and Mustapha in reserve.

I'd have Merrin and Smith rotating at 13 with McConnell in reserve (or any spare second rowers).

Then we need another first grade quality prop and I'd have them with Ava, Oledski, Holroyd with Singo and Peteru in reserve.

A new 7 to replace Myler with McLelland in reserve.

A winger if you fancy.
Posted by fanstanningley on Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:45 am
fanstanningley User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 141
Rep Position: 175th / 77,904

KaeruJim wrote:
I suspect Martin will nail down a second row spot actually once he settles. He is quick, and we've really lacked that from the pack.

Martin, Ward, Sutcliffe, Mellor would be my "experienced" selection for second row next year with Trout, Walters and Mustapha in reserve.

I'd have Merrin and Smith rotating at 13 with McConnell in reserve (or any spare second rowers).

Then we need another first grade quality prop and I'd have them with Ava, Oledski, Holroyd with Singo and Peteru in reserve.

A new 7 to replace Myler with McLelland in reserve.

A winger if you fancy.

You could be right about Martin but I also see him making a real impact from the bench.He's very quick runs good lines and with good ball will hurt teams.A new 7 has to be a priority.Agree about another prop but will we find one whos none overseas I'm not so sure.I hope Holroyd is given a good go and who knows we may not need another prop.Walters looks a real talent and will hopefully get a few games but we are we placed for backrowers.A winger would be nice.
I'm not a pheasant plucker, i'm a pheasant pluckers son and i'm only plucking pheasants till the pheasant plucker comes.
Posted by rollin thunder on Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:08 am
rollin thunder Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 572
Rep Position: 26th / 77,904

Not sure about this, suppose its ine mire year to see if he can cut the mustard but he looks championship standard at the moment, like his brothers demanded top coin and not living up to the hype. He dies look st natural 13 whuch us a thing if the past, but its up to pkayers like him to make the ball playing 13 the in thing again. Should be trying to take the game by the scruff of the neck more and not floundering around, and needs serious work in defence. Last chance next year, but I honestly think he is a falorn hope, and walters trout Mellors should be above him now and lets see what they can do.
Posted by BrisbaneRhino on Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:38 am
BrisbaneRhino User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 413
Rep Position: 53rd / 77,904

I guess 1 year is a sign that younger players need to really earn the longer contracts we used to hand out. So they should.
Posted by KaeruJim on Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:52 am
KaeruJim User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

I think a decision needs to be made and we tell him he will be operating at 13 next year in rotation with Merrin, and focus on that.

Can’t see him making it through the competition at second row now. As a smart footballer who can read games a bit and fill in gaps, he could be very good.

He does need to make sure his D is absolutely rock as part of that. He’s pretty good head on and still young to be fair.
Posted by fanstanningley on Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:41 pm
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

BrisbaneRhino wrote:
I guess 1 year is a sign that younger players need to really earn the longer contracts we used to hand out. So they should.

I agree too many average young players given far too longer contracts in the past.It could well have been longer but cheaper.
I'm not a pheasant plucker, i'm a pheasant pluckers son and i'm only plucking pheasants till the pheasant plucker comes.
Posted by Lanzarote Rhino on Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:06 pm
Lanzarote Rhino Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Reputation Points: 81
Rep Position: 231st / 77,904

Agree with giving Smith another year,still young and has ability.
Back to Stevie Ward.IF he does get fit i would have him out of the firing line so to speak and in the centre,he has pace and passing ability.Most of all he can take Hurrells place because im afraid Konrad is a liability in defence.
Posted by fanstanningley on Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:17 pm
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Lanzarote Rhino wrote:
Agree with giving Smith another year,still young and has ability.
Back to Stevie Ward.IF he does get fit i would have him out of the firing line so to speak and in the centre,he has pace and passing ability.Most of all he can take Hurrells place because im afraid Konrad is a liability in defence.

That's not going to happen Hurrell just needs to start reading the defence lines better.
Posted by Brodie123 on Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:56 pm
Brodie123 Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 108
Rep Position: 205th / 77,904

Apart from his age he has little going for him. He just has not developed this year, he is way behind the likes of Merrin and Martin, however the club have done right in giving him the extra year. Hopefully for the rest of this season and next season, the club will allow him to develop into a player in one role whatever that role will be. Someone like Merrin need to take him under their wing and mentor him, help him develop and hopefully we will see a different player than we have this year. The sad fact is he has been playing in a poor team these last two seasons so we have not seen the best in him, maybe in a quality team we would see a different player. The pressure on a young player trying to develop in a struggling team is tough however he needs now to look forward.
PreviousNext