WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - SL RD 2 | Wigan Warriors (A)

Board index Super League Leeds Rhinos - southstander.com SL RD 2 | Wigan Warriors (A)

Re: SL RD 2 | Wigan Warriors (A)
Post Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:04 pm
Posted by Clearwing on Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:04 pm
Clearwing User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 573
Rep Position: 24th / 77,850

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:11 am
Posts: 7390
KaeruJim wrote:
The reason for that is because we haven't been able to replace enough players in one off-season, no matter the sterling work I'm sure Sinfield and Furner are putting in. The reason for THAT is that IMO Gary Hetherington has been way too tight with signings for way too long, and the club has seriously misjudged the lengths of contracts given to inadequate players, leaving us no room to move now.


I'd add that the quality of our home grown talent has, overall, not been good enough. Too many of those inadequate players are ones we've produced.
"The problem when you play Leeds is that they are a huge 'confidence' side. If you get on top of them, they will cower and go away, but when they get in front their chests puff out and they start whooping as they make tackles. " (Jon Wilkin)

“Leeds just wander around looking like they’re doing nothing” (Jon Wilkin)

"Jon Wilkin's tight pants and coffee shop have not helped him to see the bigger picture or allowed him to get a firm grip on reality." (leeds owl)
Re: SL RD 2 | Wigan Warriors (A)
Post Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:37 pm
Posted by Seth on Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:37 pm
Seth Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 247
Rep Position: 103rd / 77,850

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:40 pm
Posts: 2508
Location: Meltham
A positive start would be to have 2 props in the starting front row instead of back rowers (I don't consider Cuthbertson a prop by any definition) then see how they go from there. The game will always be based around it being the main priority to dominate this area, I'm not sure where the thinking of sending that front row up against Hill, Cooper and Clarke came from.
Re: SL RD 2 | Wigan Warriors (A)
Post Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:09 pm
Posted by mattsrhinos1978 on Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:09 pm
mattsrhinos1978 Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 246
Rep Position: 104th / 77,850

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:37 am
Posts: 744
Ferres is absolute garbage, has been for 3 year, still gets an undeserved start last week, garbage yet again. if squad was selected on form he'd be on duel reg at fev, if theyd even want him. Cam Smith does pretty well whenever he gets a chance, but cant get look in, we'l end up losing him at this rate.
Re: SL RD 2 | Wigan Warriors (A)
Post Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:15 pm
Posted by Exeter Rhino on Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:15 pm
Exeter Rhino User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 173
Rep Position: 145th / 77,850

Quiz Score: 276

Joined: Tue May 28, 2002 12:08 pm
Posts: 6717
Location: Isca Dumnoniorum
It's easy to focus on the negatives after the season we've just had, a big opening defeat, and difficult games to come. The forum breeds pessimism in these circumstances.

For the sake of saying something a bit different... Games are not won on paper (as we've discovered countless times in the past coming up against teams with injuries), Leeds are due to produce a response after last week (if not necessarily a result), this is very much a different team to last year, and playing Wigan usually brings out the best in us. Bring it on!
Re: SL RD 2 | Wigan Warriors (A)
Post Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:59 pm
Posted by KaeruJim on Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:59 pm
KaeruJim User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 759
Rep Position: 13th / 77,850

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:27 am
Posts: 1534
Exeter Rhino wrote:
It's easy to focus on the negatives after the season we've just had, a big opening defeat, and difficult games to come. The forum breeds pessimism in these circumstances.

For the sake of saying something a bit different... Games are not won on paper (as we've discovered countless times in the past coming up against teams with injuries), Leeds are due to produce a response after last week (if not necessarily a result), this is very much a different team to last year, and playing Wigan usually brings out the best in us. Bring it on!

Yes but you would be up for the first game of the season surely? How much of a response can we really expect?
We can win the game against Wigan, but with the front row issues we have, we cannot afford to play slack, drop off tackles etc. High completion rates, high skill and good kicking game would help.
Re: SL RD 2 | Wigan Warriors (A)
Post Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:54 pm
Posted by Exeter Rhino on Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:54 pm
Exeter Rhino User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 173
Rep Position: 145th / 77,850

Quiz Score: 276

Joined: Tue May 28, 2002 12:08 pm
Posts: 6717
Location: Isca Dumnoniorum
KaeruJim wrote:
Yes but you would be up for the first game of the season surely? How much of a response can we really expect?
We can win the game against Wigan, but with the front row issues we have, we cannot afford to play slack, drop off tackles etc. High completion rates, high skill and good kicking game would help.


I think they were up for the game against Warrington. At this stage of the season I'd be willing to forgive some of the failings we saw because they are a new team, with a lot of new combinations and a new coach (cf. Warrington at the same point last season). And like it or not, I bet a few players were probably guilty of reverting to type when the chips were down in the first half... It might take a bit of time to get 2018 out of the system.

I'm not sure what kind of response we can expect. At the least they need a different approach to being competitive around the ruck and being less passive in the collision, on top of the things you mention. I think we should be able to expect these things to be better with the players at our disposal, never mind these two extra rawboned props everyone keeps going on about us missing. The issue should be whether we can be competitive around the ruck consistently over 80 minutes against the bigger teams with the weaker pack at our disposal, not whether we can do it at all... Let's see.
Re: SL RD 2 | Wigan Warriors (A)
Post Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:08 pm
Posted by KaeruJim on Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:08 pm
KaeruJim User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 759
Rep Position: 13th / 77,850

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:27 am
Posts: 1534
Exeter Rhino wrote:
I think they were up for the game against Warrington. At this stage of the season I'd be willing to forgive some of the failings we saw because they are a new team, with a lot of new combinations and a new coach (cf. Warrington at the same point last season). And like it or not, I bet a few players were probably guilty of reverting to type when the chips were down in the first half... It might take a bit of time to get 2018 out of the system.

I'm not sure what kind of response we can expect. At the least they need a different approach to being competitive around the ruck and being less passive in the collision, on top of the things you mention. I think we should be able to expect these things to be better with the players at our disposal, never mind these two extra rawboned props everyone keeps going on about us missing. The issue should be whether we can be competitive around the ruck consistently over 80 minutes against the bigger teams with the weaker pack at our disposal, not whether we can do it at all... Let's see.

There were a few players who can do better than last week so let’s hope we put up a better fight at least.
Re: SL RD 2 | Wigan Warriors (A)
Post Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:15 pm
Posted by chapylad on Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:15 pm
chapylad Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 277
Rep Position: 92nd / 77,850

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2002 1:20 pm
Posts: 4043
Location: location, location
If Hurrell doesn't play then we could put Handley at centre Luke Briscoe on the wing or give my mate Golding a place on the wing!!
Re: SL RD 2 | Wigan Warriors (A)
Post Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:31 am
Posted by Charlie Sheen on Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:31 am
Charlie Sheen User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 526
Rep Position: 32nd / 77,850

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:26 pm
Posts: 10048
Location: Leeds
Or just play Newman at centre.
King Monkey wrote:
Maybe a spell in prison would do Graham good.

At least he'd lose his virginity.
Re: SL RD 2 | Wigan Warriors (A)
Post Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:16 pm
Posted by MatthewLoftus on Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:16 pm
MatthewLoftus Stevo's Armpit

Reputation Points: 4
Rep Position: 297th / 77,850

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:21 am
Posts: 13
Location: Gods own county
chapylad wrote:
If Hurrell doesn't play then we could put Handley at centre Luke Briscoe on the wing or give my mate Golding a place on the wing!!


I'd love to see Newman playing Centre. Let him show us what he can do in his natural position.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bewildered, Charlie Sheen, digger47, exiledrhino, FoxyRhino, HucknallLoiner, Joshheff90, KaeruJim, krisleeds, Marty Grrrrrrrrrr!, mwindass, Norman Stanley Fletcher, Pill rhino, RHINO-MARK, sharky64 and 185 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to Leeds Rhinos - southstander.com


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,968,1081,82977,8504,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)





17