Posted by KaeruJim on Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:01 pm
KaeruJim User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 785
Rep Position: 12th / 77,889

Quiz Score: 0

LeedsLurch wrote:
To be Frank I really don't care where we finish this year, all I want is to see entertaining games and come away from Headingly with a smile on my face. I think silverware may be a little too ambitious but to be challanging will be a "right result"

I get what people mean with the style of play, but I don’t think it’s possible to play beautiful rugby whilst getting beaten most weeks. In order to play, we still need a platform set by the forwards and momentum established, and to be winning basically.
It may well take another season to complete the transition but we should be competitive even next year.
Re: Hopes for 2019
Post Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:49 pm
Posted by Gotcha on Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:49 pm
Gotcha User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 547
Rep Position: 29th / 77,889

KaeruJim wrote:
I get what people mean with the style of play, but I don’t think it’s possible to play beautiful rugby whilst getting beaten most weeks. In order to play, we still need a platform set by the forwards and momentum established, and to be winning basically.
It may well take another season to complete the transition but we should be competitive even next year.

We haven’t played good rugby in a number of years, even when winning. I think that is more what is spoken of.
#frostiesbitches We know who you are.
Post Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:57 pm
Posted by Juan Cornetto on Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:57 pm
Juan Cornetto User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 88
Rep Position: 215th / 77,889

I too would have liked us to have signed two big props. However the new recruits are quality and under Furner we could adapt our attack to major on the backs and be less reliant on the big middle men which we really have not had since JP and Kylie left.

I remember the days of coach Roy Francis and what many consider to be the the most entertaining rugby Leeds have ever played. We went for speed, handling skills and great back up and destroyed opposition with this approach. With the current game mired down with congested defense and one up rugby the game it is crying out for a change.

Perhaps some deeper attacking lines, especially from scrums, and longer missed passes will release the backs into space and we can then run opposition big men breathless.

I remain an optimist.
Don't worry about avoiding temptation.
As you grow older, it will avoid you!
- Winston Churchill
Post Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:25 pm
Posted by lionarmour87 on Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:25 pm
lionarmour87 Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 307
Rep Position: 80th / 77,889

I also hope that these new signings don't sustain long term injury's early on and "out for 12 weeks "etc and turns into season ending. Hope we have better luck with injury's in general basically
Soon we will be dancing the Fandango

FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB'S DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESS THEN I DONT KNOW WHAT IS.
JAMIE PEACOCK
Post Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:20 pm
Posted by Lprhino on Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:20 pm
Lprhino Stevo's Armpit

Reputation Points: 10
Rep Position: 292nd / 77,889

Lots of valid points in this thread and also a lot of things I agree with. In terms of hopes I think the following for me, appreciating a lot are interlinked:

1. We play a better brand of rugby. What I mean by this is rugby that is entertaining to watch and makes me look forward to going to a game or watching it on TV. Some part of this involves an attacking structure of some degree which I think Furner will bring.

2. We have far less injuries and look a much fitter team. Accept that injuries happen but would hope we generally have better luck with injuries, we look much fitter generally and we don’t have half injured players turning out.

3. We get some spirit and toughness back. This is mainly forward based but I can’t stand watching us getting completely battered in the forwards and generally looking like we are soft. This could have been number one but I would rather watch good rugby, thinking if we play good rugby some level of toughness would need to be involved. I think Merrin could play a huge part in this.

4. We play players in the proper position. Not sure if Merrin is a 13 or 10 in SL. We shall see, but generally players playing in the correct position and using the skills they have. Thinking Ward, Cam Smith and how we use them moving forward.

5. We see more of the exciting youngsters, maybe they get a bit of game time. In and around the first team, pushing up competition and giving us some youthful enthusiasm.
Post Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:45 pm
Posted by Brodie123 on Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:45 pm
Brodie123 Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Reputation Points: 108
Rep Position: 195th / 77,889

Guys this year will be 100% better, maybe winning the GF in 2017 turned out to be our enigma, it gave us a false sense of security for last season and even with RB and DM moving on McDermott believed we had sufficient talent for last year The biggest changes from last year is in the back room, from the start we simply was not fit enough yet we were losing games by one point or winning games. When the injuries came it all went downhill, replacements coming into the team was not good enough, How many of the fringe players were given pay rises on the back of the last GF win, the worse problem was attitude and the rumours that was going around the place regarding fitness and players unable to play. Whatever happened behind the closed doors the good thing to come out of it was the sacking of McDermott. We now have a back room team who are all pulling in the same direction, quality from the very top with Sinfield and Furner, qualities players now getting back to full fitness and will be ready for the start of the season, some fantastic signings and one more signing to come in should we get rid of some players on the wage roll, Mulalley, Walters, Omondroyde etc. Last year we had a lot of players playing out of position square pegs in round holes this year it will be different, we may not get to the GF or win the CC, but expect a good season. Guys don't expect too much out of our first three games if we win one then great, but if we lose all three lets be patient before we start shouting for Furner to be sacked, it will take time for the team to gel, remember its not how we start its how we finish next season.
Post Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:43 pm
Posted by Clearwing on Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:43 pm
Clearwing User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 582
Rep Position: 23rd / 77,889

I reckon for Mullally, Ormondroyd or Walters to move on, someone's going to have to offer 2 years minimum or a decent pay rise for this year. Is either that likely?
"Look, I'd never use injuries as an excuse..." Daryl Powell
Post Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:07 pm
Posted by Bullseye on Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:07 pm
Bullseye User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 949
Rep Position: 5th / 77,889

Quiz Score: 392

On the “wanting to see good rugby” wish that a few people have. It’s a lot easier to do that if your players are fit, the forwards are on top and the halfbacks are providing a lead. On the first point I’d expect players to be fitter than in recent years. On the second I believe you’re two decent props away from top 5, if you’re not dominating the collision and getting a quick play the ball you simply cannot chuck the ball around and “play good rugby”. The days of Roy Francis are long gone, the space just isn’t there on the field anymore for that brand of rugby unless you’re bossing things up front. On the third it depends how players gel. Lolohea is a bit off the cuff and Myler isn’t really a playmaker. It’ll be interesting to see how they go. I believe they’ll be an improvement on what you had last year.
On whether you can offload Mulally, Ormondroyd or Walters you have to ask who’d take them now? I think you’re stuck with them until someone has an injury crisis come Easter.
"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.
Post Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:51 pm
Posted by Biff Tannen on Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:51 pm
Biff Tannen User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 318
Rep Position: 77th / 77,889

Walters and Ormondroyd are championship standard at best. I'm sure there would be takers down there but it's down to the players whether they would be willing to go down a level. I'm sure one of the lower end SL clubs could make use of Mullally.we will have to see what happens over the next few weeks.
What you looking at?....Butt Head!!
PreviousNext