WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Brian Mac has left the Rhinos - with immediate effect

Board index Super League Leeds Rhinos - southstander.com Brian Mac has left the Rhinos - with immediate effect

User avatarExeter Rhino wrote:
Exeter Rhino User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Quite happy to see TS return. It is interesting how much praise he gets at the start of the 'As Good As It Gets' film from the likes of Sinfield and JJB. With so many younger players coming through, IMO the current crop need a technical coach more than they do a McClennan/McDermott style man-manager.

User avatarbatleyrhino wrote:
batleyrhino User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Exeter Rhino wrote:
Watkins would be massive. But I think you are being harsh on Ward as well.

Ward would make a difference, but I think he's got to get more time on the field to be seen as a really big loss for us right now. The kid has boat loads of talent, I just hope he can shake off the injuries and become the player he should be. Difference for me is Watkins already is that player.
It's not how much talent you've got, it's what you do with it that counts.

Exeter Rhino User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

LeedsDave wrote:
Tony Smith? Are you all having a laugh.

Why should we settle for mediocrity. We're a big club.

We are a big club in large part due to Tony Smith. Perhaps that was before your time?

User avatartigertot wrote:
tigertot User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Bullseye wrote:
Tony Smith to consider coming back for 2019 and 2020 before handing onto Burrow. Nothing set in stone yet.

He's very happy at Cas Academy.
The best things in life are not things.
A member of the victorious liberal metropolitan elite.
The Ghost of '99 User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Exeter Rhino wrote:
We are a big club in large part due to Tony Smith. Perhaps that was before your time?

Tony Smith probably remembers the Leeds fans who hurled abuse at him through 2006 and all but the last couple of games of 2007 so maybe he'll just pass on the opportunity to turn things round now.
I'm sure a lot of them are the same people who have said McDermott's achievements are all down to Smith.
"Brian McDermott, with a wry smile, nods when asked if he remembers a specific incident which made him realise he was a prick. 'I do', he murmurs."

User avatarbramleyrhino wrote:
bramleyrhino User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Smith was very vocal on the current state of the game prior to leaving Warrington. Given Hetherington's stance on that issue recently, it would certainly be interesting to see those two working together
I wish everyone would read bramleyrhino's post two or three times just to get it through some thick skulls

Mr bramleyrhino speaks a lot of sense.

Jamie Jones-Buchanan wrote:
"I'd never forgive myself if a child of mine was born in Lancashire.

Brodie123 wrote:
Brodie123 Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Sometimes decisions should have been made a lot earlier, in effect the squad have not performed this year, and while he has done wonders in the past, he does need a new challenge. 2out of 3 years we could end up in the bottom 4, clearly something is wrong. Compare to Saints game to the Wigan game and he starts to admit there is a problem, just maybe he is the problem,. After 10 games into the season he was still saying we are nearly there, They should have been ready from the 1st game, candidly with a new type stadium next year to fill, a lot of debt the squad needs to be winning now. They simply cannot afford to be playing to a half empty stadium next season. That is why he has gone, GH has in fact given him too much time he should have been sacked a lot earlier to give the new coach time to turn it around. This time there is no James segeryo to turn things around.

Danibo160 wrote:
Danibo160 Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Exeter Rhino User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

I don't buy the idea that McDermott or indeed McClennan simply inherited Smith's team and added little themselves. Smith's team clearly struggled in 2006, largely with the expectations of the Peacock signing and the aftermath of a season in which Leeds played champagne stuff but won nothing (not dissimilar to Powell's season at Cas, although at least they managed the hub cap, which I would have settled for at the end of 2005). Smith was, however, instrumental in creating a lasting culture at Leeds.

Those who doubt Smith ought to think back to *that* play-off game in 2007 when we lost narrowly to Saints. A different kind of rugby to 2005, but a style that the best McClennan and McDermott teams would have been proud of. Brutal stuff.

Perhaps its too early to speak of McDermott's legacy, beyond the obvious trophies... I guess that's up to the players that came through under his watch.

User avatarSal Paradise wrote:
Sal Paradise User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

shadwellrhino wrote:
We owe BM a huge debt of gratitude. Can’t see the point of doing this at this point in the season. He deserved a much more dignified exit.

Brian owed Leeds a huge debt of gratitude - the club and the players it developed made him look a far better coach than he actually is.

There is only one person to bring in short term - Kevin Sinfield, it wont happen as he has burnt his bridges with GH
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.
PreviousNext