WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Lenighan blames West Yorkshire mafia

Board index Super League Leeds Rhinos - southstander.com Lenighan blames West Yorkshire mafia

Re: Lenighan blames West Yorkshire mafia
Post Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:43 pm
Posted by Seth on Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:43 pm
Seth Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 254
Rep Position: 102nd / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Agree re repeat loop fixtures but there’s far from enough quality players to have 16-20 teams, not to mention them being viable businesses. 14 tops, though we’re scraping the barrel at 12!
Post Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:20 am
Posted by Sal Paradise on Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:20 am
Sal Paradise User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 294
Rep Position: 86th / 77,905

The Ghost of '99 wrote:
The reserve team I agree on, not because Hetherington's approach is wrong in practice but because of the destructive effect it has on the league below in using dual reg for a de facto reserve teams.

But the excuses being made that the 8s is the root of all problems is laughable. Is it too much jeopardy for too many SL teams? Possibly. But it's enlivened that end of the table and the championship. On the other hand the short notice of fixtures is a definite challenge so it has its weaknesses. But changing format isn't going to suddenly make viable all those clubs which aren't viable. Grasping a bit more money at the same time would have, slightly, but that seems to have been fought off.

Going all in to save the 8s is probably not what I'd have bothered with if I were running Leeds as, frankly, it doesn't really make much difference to the end of the table we generally swim in. But standing up for the interests of the rest of the game is something I do applaud Hetherington for.

This is where you I disagree - the best interest of the game is to generate as much external revenue as possible - this can only happen if the elite competition is of a standard that attracts suitable TV and external sponsorship. To do this we need to improve the quality on the field and increase participation neither of which the Championship really contribute towards.
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.
Post Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:26 am
Posted by The Ghost of '99 on Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:26 am
The Ghost of '99 User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 139
Rep Position: 173rd / 77,905

Quiz Score: 36

Sal Paradise wrote:
This is where you I disagree - the best interest of the game is to generate as much external revenue as possible - this can only happen if the elite competition is of a standard that attracts suitable TV and external sponsorship. To do this we need to improve the quality on the field and increase participation neither of which the Championship really contribute towards.

Destroying the championship clubs for relatively trivial amounts of money is not productive. The fans of those clubs are core rugby league consumers, who buy sky subscriptions, have kids who play the game and who go to big events like internationals or the grand final. The stuff coming out of the arrogant mouths of lie likes of Lenagan is pushing all those people away.

The game has ripped itself apart over money and arbitrary divisions for the past two decades. It isn't healthy and I strongly believe that those clubs who have been lucky enough to be at the top table when the music has stopped have no right to destroy the futures of clubs, many historically larger, who are not top flight right now.

Growing the game is essential. Not destroying the existing game and a large segment of the existing fan base is also essential.
"Brian McDermott, with a wry smile, nods when asked if he remembers a specific incident which made him realise he was a prick. 'I do', he murmurs."
Post Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:37 am
Posted by Keiththered on Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:37 am
Keiththered Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 157
Rep Position: 158th / 77,905

The Ghost of '99 wrote:
Destroying the championship clubs for relatively trivial amounts of money is not productive. The fans of those clubs are core rugby league consumers, who buy sky subscriptions, have kids who play the game and who go to big events like internationals or the grand final. The stuff coming out of the arrogant mouths of lie likes of Lenagan is pushing all those people away.

The game has ripped itself apart over money and arbitrary divisions for the past two decades. It isn't healthy and I strongly believe that those clubs who have been lucky enough to be at the top table when the music has stopped have no right to destroy the futures of clubs, many historically larger, who are not top flight right now.

Growing the game is essential. Not destroying the existing game and a large segment of the existing fan base is also essential.

In what way are the championship clubs being destroyed. I understand the funding is to remain the same until the next tv deal is negotiated. What happens after that is in the air in any case.

Are you in Hetherington’s fan club by any chance?
Post Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:44 am
Posted by Keiththered on Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:44 am
Keiththered Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 157
Rep Position: 158th / 77,905

The Ghost of '99 wrote:

You say “I strongly believe that those clubs who have been lucky enough to be at the top table when the music has stopped have no right to destroy the futures of clubs.” They are not lucky! They are where they are due to hard work, development, investment and success on the field.
Post Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:45 am
Posted by Sal Paradise on Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:45 am
Sal Paradise User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 294
Rep Position: 86th / 77,905

The Ghost of '99 wrote:

These clubs offer very little - their core support is pathetic given the legacy of many of these clubs - their facilities are - on the main - embarrassing I fail to see what investing in this sector actually brings that spending that amateur clubs would not. The numbers are so small the impact on Sky revenues would be minimal even if they all downed tools and quit SKY if some of these clubs were merged with others.

If Hunslet merged with Leeds do you really think the numbers of kids playing at Parkside would be diminished - kids play RL primarily because of peer pressure/need to be part of a gang.

The problem with the game is two fold: participation and the standard of the professional game - neither of which can be addressed by increased investment in the Championship and its clubs.
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.
Post Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:35 pm
Posted by Mark Laurie on Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:35 pm
Mark Laurie Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 90
Rep Position: 216th / 77,905

I've no strong views on the league structure, Seen 16 team playoffs through to 4 up, 4 down and everything in between , I suspect this current version will only last a few years.

Lenaghan, Elstone and co have their wish of ending super 8's - to help market games, draw in crowds and attract sponsors.

Just one minor issue, they have replaced it with loopy fixtures which they cannot yet explain who will play who and when. I suspect they will be very keen to manipulate this to help bring in coin - so expect a saints / Wigan game and hull Derby as 2 certain loopy games.

If wood or now rimmer had come up with a new structure that is not explainable to the fans, media, tv companies or sponsors they would have been rightly slaughtered by Lenaghan and co.

Pretty pathetic from Elstone and all the supposed genius business brains of the 11 SL clubs that they have agreed a new structure that is half baked.
Last edited by Mark Laurie on Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:18 pm
Posted by batleyrhino on Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:18 pm
batleyrhino User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 332
Rep Position: 73rd / 77,905

What’s wrong with having a franchise structure where every 3 years any clubs can apply and be considered along with every other club? Why does someone have to drop out of the top division for someone else to be accommodated?

If it really is for monetary terms then those running the clubs and the game need to decide if they are doing it for he good of the game or for the good of themselves.
It's not how much talent you've got, it's what you do with it that counts.
Post Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:27 pm
Posted by Trebor1 on Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:27 pm
Trebor1 Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 519
Rep Position: 31st / 77,905

batleyrhino wrote:
What’s wrong with having a franchise structure where every 3 years any clubs can apply and be considered along with every other club? Why does someone have to drop out of the top division for someone else to be accommodated?

If it really is for monetary terms then those running the clubs and the game need to decide if they are doing it for he good of the game or for the good of themselves.

I agree. Franchise is the way to go. 14 teams inside next 2 years. Expand further if lower league clubs get the infrastructure right and have some money behind them.
Post Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:38 pm
Posted by Morton Rhino on Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:38 pm
Morton Rhino Stevo's Armpit

Reputation Points: 1
Rep Position: 303rd / 77,905

Seems to me like we are going backwards. We used to have a twelve team league and then contrived extra fixtures . before that a 14 team league . All of these have been tried and then deemed as failures. No one coming up with any thing new . We have had a franchised system before , that didn`t work either.
PreviousNext