WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - ¬£¬£¬£ Bulls Fire Sale! ¬£¬£¬£

Board index Super League Leeds Rhinos - southstander.com £££ Bulls Fire Sale! £££

Posted by craigizzard on Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:13 am
craigizzard Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 13
Rep Position: 295th / 77,858

Quiz Score: 0

El Diablo wrote:
That isn't entirely fair though is it? At this stage in the season several teams would get byes. It is likely that some of them would have lost that match, given that the Bulls haven't been total whipping boys this year.

Hopefully it won't come to that anyway.

No, it's not entirely fair, but it's less obviously unfair than giving two points for every single Bradford game (obviously favours Leeds with 6 points, and also rewards teams who've already lost to Bradford), or expunging all games (goes against Leeds, who would end the season having "played" one game less than everyone else). At least if they keep the current results then as many points as possible have actually been decided on the pitch.

As you say, hopefully it won't come to that.
Posted by Cibaman on Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:31 am
Cibaman Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 7
Rep Position: 301st / 77,858

El Diablo wrote:
THe game still to play isn't really a gain though, since everyone would get those points. The only people who really gain are teams who have lost to the Bulls, who effectively gain 2 points (either by being given them by walkover or by all points from Bulls games being expunged). The big headache for the RFL would be what to do with our Magic weekend fixture against them. I would struggle to see a fair way to handle that.

Indeed. I think the fair way would have been for the RFL to have announced before Magic Weekend (when the Bulls problems were well known) that, as far as Leeds were concerned, that result would stand even if all the other Bulls results were to be expunged. Its a lot more difficult to deal with after the event.

Some have suggested that the entire Magic Weekend results would need to be expunged but that would severely damage the credibility of the event, especially as other clubs may be struggling when its played next season. And the 7 clubs that won their fixtures would have something to say.
Posted by finglas on Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:05 am
finglas User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 18
Rep Position: 290th / 77,858

Quiz Score: 256

Would be easy to cancel results, only one club with an issue then. Possibly give one point.

Expunging the result is better because it eliminates the need to take points difference into consideration.
Hail Stewie Griffin wrote:
All dumbies those Irish folk

So you've met my wife
Posted by Tyke's/Rhinos No. 1 Fan on Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:55 am
Tyke's/Rhinos No. 1 Fan Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 7
Rep Position: 301st / 77,858

As far as I can see, the only realistic survival option for Bradford atm is a move away from Odsal to Valley Parade. The RFL can then sell Odsal off to whatever development its best suited for, and use the money raised as an interest-free loan to Bradford. This should be enough to keep them afloat. However, at the same time they are going to have to cancel a huge number of contracts to reduce players wages. I think Bradford will be saying bye-bye to Kearney, Kear, Platt, Sykes, Pryce, Jeffries, Gale, Sammut, Diskin, L'Estrange, Kopczak, Burgess, Scruton, Hargeaves, Elima, Langley, Whitehead & Bateman i.e. anyone who can get a first team gig somewhere else.
Posted by Bullseye on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:02 pm
Bullseye User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 949
Rep Position: 5th / 77,858

Quiz Score: 392

The RFL have the lease on Odsal but they don't own it. The Council owns it.

If there's no RL to be played on it the RFL may wish to sell the lease. But any buyer would have to do a deal with the Council. Any development would have to go through planning procedures. Is it really that attractive a proposition?
"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.
Posted by The Eagle on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:03 pm
The Eagle User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 126
Rep Position: 188th / 77,858

Location: Nottingham. 800 years ago outlaws stole from the rich. Little has changed here

They'll finish their 2012 fixtures according to this:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/18609190
Posted by Andy Gilder on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:05 pm
Andy Gilder User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 35
Rep Position: 273rd / 77,858

For the umpteenth time in different threads, the RFL do not own Odsal. They own a long lease on the property. I would imagine all they could do is sell the lease, but who is going to want to take on the lease to a sports stadium?

They have also said that if the Bulls are liquidated and reform as a Newco, they will be allowed to fulfill the rest of their 2012 fixtures.
"As you travel through life don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things" - George Carlin

//twitter.com/AndyGilder

//fromthewesternterrace.blogspot.co.uk

This week: Four keys to a Rhinos win in the WCC
Posted by Middleton_Loiner on Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:19 pm
Middleton_Loiner User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

The Eagle wrote:
They'll finish their 2012 fixtures according to this:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/18609190

From this, it appears there is a real possibility of Bradford going into Devision 1 for the 2013 Season.

That would mean Halifax would most likely come up, and most of the Players that Bradford will lose, will join Halifax.
Jamie Peacock MBE wrote:
'There's been a couple of times during my career when I've thought about moving elsewhere but, when I run out in front of 17,000, 18,000 people at Headingley, I've thought 'nah, this is the place for me'.

Posted by Tony Soprano on Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:42 pm
Tony Soprano User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 10
Rep Position: 298th / 77,858

Bullseye wrote:
The RFL have the lease on Odsal but they don't own it. The Council owns it.

If there's no RL to be played on it the RFL may wish to sell the lease. But any buyer would have to do a deal with the Council. Any development would have to go through planning procedures. Is it really that attractive a proposition?

None what so ever, plenty of sites around with far less red tape involved.
Posted by craigizzard on Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:46 pm
craigizzard Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 13
Rep Position: 295th / 77,858

Tony Soprano wrote:
None what so ever, plenty of sites around with far less red tape involved.

Am I misremembering that a long time ago Tesco wanted to buy Odsal but were dissuaded by a combination of Bradford Council and Ken Morrison?
PreviousNext