u RLFANS.COM - The World's Most Popular Rugby League Website WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - OUT 2020 | Shaun Lunt - Batley Bulldogs

Board index Super League Leeds Rhinos - southstander.com OUT 2020 | Shaun Lunt - Batley Bulldogs

Re: OUT 2020 | Shaun Lunt - Released
Post Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:23 pm
Posted by Chesterrhino on Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:23 pm
Chesterrhino Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Reputation Points: 36
Rep Position: 287th / 77,988

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:38 am
Posts: 112
The next piece of the jigsaw is a top class ball handling tough tackling hooker who has a kicking game as well , pay what is required one at cas called McShane.
Or cam smith for two years in our dreams.
Re: OUT 2020 | Shaun Lunt - Released
Post Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:13 pm
Posted by Biff Tannen on Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:13 pm
Biff Tannen User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 337
Rep Position: 79th / 77,988

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:32 pm
Posts: 6668
Location: Hill Valley
Chesterrhino wrote:
The next piece of the jigsaw is a top class ball handling tough tackling hooker who has a kicking game as well , pay what is required one at cas called McShane.
Or cam smith for two years in our dreams.


Never truly rated McShane and thought we were right releasing him. He has done well at Cas but i have seen nothing to suggest in the big games he has what it takes so i hope we don't go back for him.
What you looking at?....Butt Head!!
Re: OUT 2020 | Shaun Lunt - Released
Post Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:40 pm
Posted by Marty Grrrrrrrrrr! on Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:40 pm
Marty Grrrrrrrrrr! Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 493
Rep Position: 43rd / 77,988

Quiz Score: 4

Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 9:25 pm
Posts: 1562
Ive made secret of my thoughts on our hooking situation. Its been a farce for too long. Its without doubt iur biggest priority for me.

Every year we have different 9s and none are any good. It needs sorting with quality.

Corey Johnson is a terrific prospect and needs to feature more next year but we need a top quality hard hitting 9 to plug that middle of the field up.
Re: OUT 2020 | Shaun Lunt - Released
Post Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:42 pm
Posted by nottinghamtiger on Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:42 pm
nottinghamtiger Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 226
Rep Position: 130th / 77,988

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:20 pm
Posts: 2678
Biff Tannen wrote:
Never truly rated McShane and thought we were right releasing him. He has done well at Cas but i have seen nothing to suggest in the big games he has what it takes so i hope we don't go back for him.


He was superb in 2017, average in 2018 and poor in 2019. There were some games this year when he was completely anonymous, and that’s not easy for a hooker.
I’m hoping it was a dip in form and he can find somewhere near his 2017 performances again, but I fear that level was temporary form rather than permanent.
Re: OUT 2020 | Shaun Lunt - Released
Post Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:22 pm
Posted by Him on Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:22 pm
Him User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 451
Rep Position: 51st / 77,988

Quiz Score: 4

Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2002 9:47 am
Posts: 14903
Location: Campaigning for a deep attacking line
Biff Tannen wrote:
Never truly rated McShane and thought we were right releasing him. He has done well at Cas but i have seen nothing to suggest in the big games he has what it takes so i hope we don't go back for him.

Same here. In the big games he’s usually either been a bit anonymous or made some silly errors from what I remember.

Which is why I think he’d be fine on a 2 year contract essentially to plug the gap for Johnson to develop but shouldn’t be our choice long term.
Re: OUT 2020 | Shaun Lunt - Released
Post Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:58 pm
Posted by christopher on Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:58 pm
christopher User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 608
Rep Position: 25th / 77,988

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2002 9:13 am
Posts: 8748
Location: Sydney NSW
Marty Grrrrrrrrrr! wrote:
Ive made secret of my thoughts on our hooking situation. Its been a farce for too long. Its without doubt iur biggest priority for me.

Every year we have different 9s and none are any good. It needs sorting with quality.

Corey Johnson is a terrific prospect and needs to feature more next year but we need a top quality hard hitting 9 to plug that middle of the field up.



To be fair Parcell was excellent in 2017 but I take your point.
Re: OUT 2020 | Shaun Lunt - Released
Post Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:21 pm
Posted by Fallon on Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:21 pm
Fallon Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 201
Rep Position: 145th / 77,988

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:01 pm
Posts: 1994
The last great hooker we had was probably Danny Bud but players of that calibre are so few and far between and when they are that good it's almost impossible to pry them away from the NRL.

The true Cameron Smith would obviously be great but really can't see why he would come to SL let alone us. Hodgson would be great but he isn't leaving Canberra. Luke would be great but it does feel a bit like his agent is playing the game to get him an NRL contract.

Realistically we are looking at taking a risk on an Aussie hooker (memories of Beau, Seggy), getting an average English hooker but we just let one go in Lunt who likely would have been cheap or throwing Johnson in with Dwyer. I'd hate to see us blow Johnson up by playing him too much too early.

Long way of saying I don't see us really fixing this problem position anytime soon. Better to get someone who can pass, tackle and take the odd kick on the last and focus on other areas while we pray Johnson is the real deal.
Re: OUT 2020 | Shaun Lunt - Released
Post Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:30 pm
Posted by Biff Tannen on Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:30 pm
Biff Tannen User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 337
Rep Position: 79th / 77,988

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:32 pm
Posts: 6668
Location: Hill Valley
nottinghamtiger wrote:
He was superb in 2017, average in 2018 and poor in 2019. There were some games this year when he was completely anonymous, and that’s not easy for a hooker.
I’m hoping it was a dip in form and he can find somewhere near his 2017 performances again, but I fear that level was temporary form rather than permanent.


Don't get me wrong, he is a solid hooker now and has had a far better career than i envisaged he would have when he left us but i personally struggle to see him as a hooker that can lead a side to silverware. Hooker is such a big position these days and most sides that win the trophies have someone there that is a top 2 player in their team. I'm not sure Mcshane would be or is that level.

That said we are lacking there at the minute and do need an upgrade on Dwyer of he is left as no.1 in that role.
What you looking at?....Butt Head!!
Re: OUT 2020 | Shaun Lunt - Released
Post Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:12 pm
Posted by KaeruJim on Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:12 pm
KaeruJim User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 811
Rep Position: 13th / 77,988

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:27 am
Posts: 1651
Fallon wrote:
The last great hooker we had was probably Danny Bud but players of that calibre are so few and far between and when they are that good it's almost impossible to pry them away from the NRL.

The true Cameron Smith would obviously be great but really can't see why he would come to SL let alone us. Hodgson would be great but he isn't leaving Canberra. Luke would be great but it does feel a bit like his agent is playing the game to get him an NRL contract.

Realistically we are looking at taking a risk on an Aussie hooker (memories of Beau, Seggy), getting an average English hooker but we just let one go in Lunt who likely would have been cheap or throwing Johnson in with Dwyer. I'd hate to see us blow Johnson up by playing him too much too early.

Long way of saying I don't see us really fixing this problem position anytime soon. Better to get someone who can pass, tackle and take the odd kick on the last and focus on other areas while we pray Johnson is the real deal.

I suspect if we look hard enough there are one or two diamonds lurking in the NRL. Luke would be great, but agree he could still land an NRL gig (which is why we should be interested in him).

There are some brilliant players in the NRL and some very good reserve hookers who might be tempted with first grade over here, even if it is for a couple of years.
Re: OUT 2020 | Shaun Lunt - Released
Post Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:13 am
Posted by Fallon on Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:13 am
Fallon Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 201
Rep Position: 145th / 77,988

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:01 pm
Posts: 1994
KaeruJim wrote:
I suspect if we look hard enough there are one or two diamonds lurking in the NRL. Luke would be great, but agree he could still land an NRL gig (which is why we should be interested in him).

There are some brilliant players in the NRL and some very good reserve hookers who might be tempted with first grade over here, even if it is for a couple of years.

I dont disagree KJ, there is just more risk attached to a reserve hooker as you wi have seen less of them at the top level - hence my reference to Beau. We would also need to really sure about them as we would be tying up a quote spot of some description most likely.

I hope the club does have something up their sleeve as if we were to end up with someone like McShane (only mentioned as a few have said his name on here) I don't really see that he offers us much more than Lunt for the extra money and transfer fee he would likely command.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Betsy Bulls, D4mo78, Hanns-G, Itchy Arsenal, malcadele, rugbyleague88, The Magic Rat, tomlufc, Trebor1 and 177 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to Leeds Rhinos - southstander.com


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
5,011,1021,00377,9884,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
Fri 28th Feb 19:45
SL
LEEDS RHINOS
v
WARRINGTON
Thu 5th Mar 19:45
SL
LEEDS RHINOS
v
TORONTO
Sat 14th Mar 17:00
SL
CATALAN DRAGONS
v
LEEDS RHINOS
Fri 20th Mar 19:45
SL
LEEDS RHINOS
v
ST.HELENS
Thu 26th Mar 19:45
SL
CASTLEFORD
v
LEEDS RHINOS
Thu 9th Apr 19:45
SL
LEEDS RHINOS
v
WAKEFIELD
Fri 17th Apr 19:45
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
LEEDS RHINOS
Fri 24th Apr 19:45
SL
WARRINGTON
v
LEEDS RHINOS
Fri 1st May 19:45
SL
LEEDS RHINOS
v
SALFORD
Fri 15th May 19:45
SL
LEEDS RHINOS
v
HUDDERSFIELD
Sat 23rd May 19:30
SL
HULL FC
v
LEEDS RHINOS
Sat 30th May 17:00
SL
CATALAN DRAGONS
v
LEEDS RHINOS
Fri 12th Jun 19:45
SL
ST.HELENS
v
LEEDS RHINOS
Sun 21st Jun 15:00
SL
LEEDS RHINOS
v
WAKEFIELD
Sun 28th Jun 15:00
SL
SALFORD
v
LEEDS RHINOS
Fri 3rd Jul 19:45
SL
LEEDS RHINOS
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Fri 10th Jul 19:45
SL
LEEDS RHINOS
v
CASTLEFORD
Sun 26th Jul 15:00
SL
HULL KR
v
LEEDS RHINOS
Sun 2nd Aug 18:30
SL
TORONTO
v
LEEDS RHINOS
Fri 7th Aug 19:45
SL
LEEDS RHINOS
v
CATALAN DRAGONS
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)






17