RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
23 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Batley on Sunday.
Batley on Sunday. Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:00 pm  
Batley on Sunday.
Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:00 pm  

User avatarHudd-Shay wrote:
Hudd-Shay User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:33 am
Posts: 4060
Location: Shuddersfield
Member for 11 years
Reyt, eight days to go till the season starts at The Mount. We've had two solid blow outs against SL sides that should put us in good stead and we have got a cracker of a game to start off with. It's allus a good day out at Batley and usually a real tough game. If we can get the two points over there we will be off to a great start to what could turn out to be a great season. It will be interesting to see our starting line up and I can't wait to get over to the game. We allus take a big following over so let's hope everyone gets over and we get the two points. Up The Fax! Rat and Ratchet shuddersfield. White Rat 4.0% Mmm! :DRUNK:
Hear All, See All, Say Nowt.
Eat All, Sup All, Pay Nowt.
And if Tha ever does Owt for Nowt,
Allus do it for Thissen.
Re: Batley on Sunday. Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:45 am  
Re: Batley on Sunday.
Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:45 am  

Listenup94 wrote:
Listenup94 Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:12 pm
Posts: 276
Member for 2 years
Really looking forward to this encounter and I see it has a perfect benchmark of where we’re at , Batley away will be tough really tough but if we progress from the Salford game we have a chance, it’ll be interesting to see what the 17 will be and Grix as some interesting decisions for me I’m gonna stick my neck on the line and pick my 17 before any injuries are announced

FB Martin
Wg salty
C McComb
C arundal
Wg walmsley
So aston
Sh Keyes
Pr Morris
Hk Moore
Pr tangata
Sr Kavanagh
Sr garside
Lf knowles

Bench
Wood
Gwaze
Barber
Murray

Tbh there’s nothing between aston and jouffret so wouldn’t be bothered either way , Keyes is a must , I think you need a balance between power and agility in the props so would rotate Morris/ Murray and tangata/gwaze and if gee was fit I’d put him in over garside/ barber. If Moore isn’t fit I’d use jouffret has the bench hooker and start with wood . McComb earns is slot over worthington as he’s played well in the 2 friendlies and last season. Knowles starts at 13 because Fairbanks out but we’ll need is physical presence against a team like Batley.
Re: Batley on Sunday. Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:53 am  
Re: Batley on Sunday.
Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:53 am  

faxcar wrote:
faxcar Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:26 pm
Posts: 3663
Member for 12 years
Listenup94 wrote:
Really looking forward to this encounter and I see it has a perfect benchmark of where we’re at , Batley away will be tough really tough but if we progress from the Salford game we have a chance, it’ll be interesting to see what the 17 will be and Grix as some interesting decisions for me I’m gonna stick my neck on the line and pick my 17 before any injuries are announced

FB Martin
Wg salty
C McComb
C arundal
Wg walmsley
So aston
Sh Keyes
Pr Morris
Hk Moore
Pr tangata
Sr Kavanagh
Sr garside
Lf knowles

Bench
Wood
Gwaze
Barber
Murray

Tbh there’s nothing between aston and jouffret so wouldn’t be bothered either way , Keyes is a must , I think you need a balance between power and agility in the props so would rotate Morris/ Murray and tangata/gwaze and if gee was fit I’d put him in over garside/ barber. If Moore isn’t fit I’d use jouffret has the bench hooker and start with wood . McComb earns is slot over worthington as he’s played well in the 2 friendlies and last season. Knowles starts at 13 because Fairbanks out but we’ll need is physical presence against a team like Batley.

With the “if fit proviso.”
Worthington and Arundel will be certain starters in the centres regardless.
My choice for fullback wouldn’t be Martin at this stage of the season it would be from Walmsley with McComb moving out to the wing.
And or. Keyes is a certain starter in the halves with Jouffret / Aston taking the other half and fullback slots.
The above combo’s have trained together far more in pre season than JM and give more during the game options for switching things round.
If Brandon isn’t fit then either Wood / Joufrett to start and interchange at 9 with an extra forward from Laroyer / Calcott coming onto the bench again providing plenty of live game opinions at 1,6,7,9 and in the pack.
Re: Batley on Sunday. Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:52 pm  
Re: Batley on Sunday.
Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:52 pm  

Listenup94 wrote:
Listenup94 Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:12 pm
Posts: 276
Member for 2 years
faxcar wrote:
With the “if fit proviso.”
Worthington and Arundel will be certain starters in the centres regardless.
My choice for fullback wouldn’t be Martin at this stage of the season it would be from Walmsley with McComb moving out to the wing.
And or. Keyes is a certain starter in the halves with Jouffret / Aston taking the other half and fullback slots.
The above combo’s have trained together far more in pre season than JM and give more during the game options for switching things round.
If Brandon isn’t fit then either Wood / Joufrett to start and interchange at 9 with an extra forward from Laroyer / Calcott coming onto the bench again providing plenty of live game opinions at 1,6,7,9 and in the pack.


I’d be happy with that , just that walmsley looked a little wobbly at fb against wakey but it’s early days , I’d have thought if he was going to do that he wouldn’t have brought Martin in with it being 1 game to the first game of the season but we’ll see . I have no problem with worthington but based on the friendlies and last season I’d be frustrated if I was McComb has he can’t do much more , like you say one way to solve the puzzle would be to play McComb on the wing and walmsley at fb . Whatever forwards play they will all be capable, certain players like barber who I wouldn’t have originally considered have certainly earned food for thought and the competition for these positions seems to be paying dividends as no one as played poorly .
Re: Batley on Sunday. Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:27 pm  
Re: Batley on Sunday.
Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:27 pm  

faxcar wrote:
faxcar Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:26 pm
Posts: 3663
Member for 12 years
Listenup94 wrote:
I’d be happy with that , just that walmsley looked a little wobbly at fb against wakey but it’s early days , I’d have thought if he was going to do that he wouldn’t have brought Martin in with it being 1 game to the first game of the season but we’ll see . I have no problem with worthington but based on the friendlies and last season I’d be frustrated if I was McComb has he can’t do much more , like you say one way to solve the puzzle would be to play McComb on the wing and walmsley at fb . Whatever forwards play they will all be capable, certain players like barber who I wouldn’t have originally considered have certainly earned food for thought and the competition for these positions seems to be paying dividends as no one as played poorly .

Another way of looking at it is asking the question.
“Would SG play JM who has just arrived on trial and is an out and out fullback which reduces his in game options if it meant leaving either Worthington, Jouffret, Aston or an in form McComb out?”

Be interesting to hear his comments on the Salford game and the build up to the Batley game.
Last edited by faxcar on Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Batley on Sunday. Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:04 pm  
Re: Batley on Sunday.
Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:04 pm  

Listenup94 wrote:
Listenup94 Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:12 pm
Posts: 276
Member for 2 years
faxcar wrote:
Another way of looking at it is asking the question.
“Would SG play JM who has just arrived on trial and is and is an out and out fullback which reduces his in game options if it meant leaving either Worthington, Jouffret, Aston or an in form McComb out?”

Be interesting to hear his comments on the Salford game and the build up to the Batley game.


Yes grixs’ review will throw more insight into his thought process, with Batley being a quality championship side Grix won’t be taking risks . It’s certainly interesting watching games live to watching the video after , I left the Salford game a little disappointed at our inability to put points on the board but having watched it back and read Salford’s fans forum to have long spells in the ascendancy bodes well . Wood makes a massive difference in terms of ruck speed and has the ability to go left or right in a split second the number of times we made it from our 20 to there’s was a massive positive . Some of our passes were a bit awry which disrupted our flow so hopefully they will be ironed out but we did offload a lot more than the wakey game . I must admit when all the new signings were made I was internally dismissive of some of the existing squad , barber , Kavanagh, calcott , garside are all quality players , which leads me to another question, barber played centre, second row and hooker in the Salford game and has good hands decent size and mobility, seems like a ball playing loose forward to me but never seems to play there , has he ever played there ?
Re: Batley on Sunday. Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:11 pm  
Re: Batley on Sunday.
Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:11 pm  

faxcar wrote:
faxcar Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:26 pm
Posts: 3663
Member for 12 years
Barber had played in a number of positions including LF who rarely has a bad game and when at his best is up there with the better performers.
As you know at 13 you can have either a ball playing or running LF and Ed has both in his locker.
He would probably have played there more but for a couple of reasons in us having Bob Fairbanks and his own utility value.
Re: Batley on Sunday. Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:00 am  
Re: Batley on Sunday.
Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:00 am  

hooligan27 wrote:
hooligan27 Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:12 pm
Posts: 734
Member for 7 years
We could of done with a extra friendly before this but if are wanting to challenge for top 2 then a wins a must at batley. Keyes and Ashton in the halfs for this one we know it will be a forwards game though up the slope
Re: Batley on Sunday. Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:30 am  
Re: Batley on Sunday.
Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:30 am  
Greg Florimos Boots User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:19 am
Posts: 8782
Member for 17 years
Looked like Worthington got injured very early on and tried to run it off so you would imagine a dead leg type injury but Grix will be desparate to have him on the field for Batley. Having Walmsley, Jouffrett, and Saltonstall who can all play fullback I would be very surprised if Grix started Martin at fullback despite him having a decent game on Friday.

I watched part of the Fev V Wakey game yesterday and Ive got to say they look like been the benchmark once again this year and they look like giants in their forwards compared to ours and although I think we should end up 3rd I think top 2 may be a little out of reach unless we can get some reinforcements in from Huddersfield to beef us up a bit.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."― Albert Einstein


"Everybody gets so much information all day long that they lose their common sense." ― Gertrude Stein


"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" ― Abraham Lincoln
Re: Batley on Sunday. Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:21 pm  
Re: Batley on Sunday.
Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:21 pm  

Listenup94 wrote:
Listenup94 Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:12 pm
Posts: 276
Member for 2 years
It appears worthington and Moore carrying knocks , worthington is a toe injury so McComb may get his opportunity, he didn’t say much about Moore but both barber and jouffret deputised for wood in the Salford game so that could be telling in terms of team selection
https://youtu.be/CxvwhP8PCjc
It appears worthington and Moore carrying knocks , worthington is a toe injury so McComb may get his opportunity, he didn’t say much about Moore but both barber and jouffret deputised for wood in the Salford game so that could be telling in terms of team selection
https://youtu.be/CxvwhP8PCjc
Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 67 guests

REPLY

Subject: 
Message:
   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.
Use the FULL EDITOR to better format content or upload images, be notified of replies etc...

Return to Halifax Panthers


RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POST
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
25m
BORED The Band Name Game
Cokey
23801
34m
Prop
Willzay
105
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
10s
Shopping List 2023
davey41
80
10s
Prop
Willzay
105
13s
Game - Song Titles 20212
Wanderer
8463
21s
2023 Squad
KineticRR
14
22s
Coleman gone
BigTime
32
44s
Jake Bibby
the stella k
10
45s
Rumours and signings v9
hengirl
23133
55s
Travel to Spurs
warrior1872
22
1m
Bentley
Seth
10
1m
James Child to referee Challenge Cup Final
tromso
1
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
TODAY
2022 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Week 14
FoxyRhino
1
TODAY
James Child to referee Challenge Cup Final
tromso
1
TODAY
Coleman gone
BigTime
32
TODAY
Bentley
Seth
10
TODAY
Perfect Eagles Homecoming As They Beat The Vikings
RLFANS News
1
TODAY
Wigans 150 year film
Rogues Galle
1
TODAY
Plays from the scrum
Kettykat
8
Random Topics selected.
POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORD
19.31Million 1,154 ↑2179,07034,030
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RL CHAT MEMBERS ONLY
RLFANS Match Centre

TABLES:
 Thu 2nd Jun
       Championship 2022-R13
15:00
Halifax
v
Dewsbury
 Sun 5th Jun
       Championship 2022-R14
15:00
Leigh
v
Halifax
 Sun 12th Jun
       Championship 2022-R15
15:00
Whitehaven
v
Halifax
 Mon 27th Jun
       Championship 2022-R16
19:45
Barrow
v
Halifax
 Sun 3rd Jul
       Championship 2022-R17
15:00
Dewsbury
v
Halifax
 Mon 11th Jul
       Championship 2022-R18
19:45
Halifax
v
York
 Sun 17th Jul
       Championship 2022-R19
15:00
Halifax
v
Workington
 Sun 24th Jul
       Championship 2022-R20
15:00
LondonB
v
Halifax
 Sat 30th Jul
       Championship 2022-R21
17:15
Bradford
v
Halifax
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sat 28th May
CC2022 RND: 9
15:00
Wigan-Huddersfield
1895 RND: 3
12:00
Featherstone-Leigh
Thu 2nd Jun
CH RND: 13
12:30
Workington-LondonB
Fri 3rd Jun
SL RND: 14
20:00
Warrington-Leeds
Sat 4th Jun
SL RND: 14
14:00
Castleford-Wigan
Mon 6th Jun
CH RND: 14
19:45
Featherstone-Bradford
Fri 10th Jun
SL RND: 15
20:00
Salford-Wigan
Sat 11th Jun
SL RND: 15
18:00
Catalans-Hull FC
Mon 13th Jun
CH RND: 15
19:45
Leigh-Featherstone
Sat 18th Jun
MINT2022 RND: 1
17:30
England-ALL STARS
WINT2022 RND: 1
15:00
ENGLAND-FRANCE
Thu 23rd Jun
SL RND: 16
20:00
St.Helens-Leeds
Fri 24th Jun
SL RND: 16
20:00
Warrington-Hull FC
Sun 26th Jun
SL RND: 16
15:15
Hull KR-Huddersfield
Mon 27th Jun
CH RND: 16
19:45
Barrow-Halifax
Fri 8th Jul
CH RND: 18
19:45
Newcastle-Bradford
Sat 9th Jul
SL RND: 18
19:00
Leeds-Castleford
SL RND: 18
16:45
St.Helens-Wigan
SL RND: 18
14:30
Wakefield-Toulouse
Sun 10th Jul
SL RND: 18
15:15
Catalans-Warrington
Mon 23rd May
CH RND: 12 Sheffield34-24Widnes
Sun 22nd May
CH RND: 12 Batley28-12LondonB
CH RND: 12 Dewsbury18-20Barrow
CH RND: 12 Leigh58-6Workington
CH RND: 12 York24-40Halifax
NRL RND: 11 Souths12-32Canberra
NRL RND: 11 Gold Coast18-25Cronulla
L1 RND: 9 Keighley29-18Midlands
WLS2022G1 RND: 2 YorkW13-6St.HelensW
WLS2022G2 RND: 2 BradfordW12-8LeighW
WLS2022G2 RND: 2 Wire W86-0WakefieldW
WLS2022G2 RND: 2 FeatherstoneW56-6CastlefordW
Sat 21st May
CH RND: 12 Bradford36-20Newcastle
CH RND: 12 Featherstone78-0Whitehaven
NRL RND: 11 St.George24-18NZ Warriors
NRL RND: 11 NQL Cowboys36-6Melbourne
NRL RND: 11 Sydney12-32Penrith
L1 RND: 9 Swinton54-16Cornwall
L1 RND: 9 Rochdale46-28Doncaster
L1 RND: 9 West Wales12-50Hunslet
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Championship 2022 ROUND : 12
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Featherstone 12 488 146 342 23
Leigh 12 482 92 390 22
York 11 276 166 110 18
Halifax 12 338 200 138 16
Batley 11 254 205 49 15
Barrow 12 235 272 -37 15
 
Sheffield 11 280 228 52 12
Bradford 12 252 255 -3 12
Widnes 12 287 324 -37 10
Newcastle 12 242 298 -56 10
Whitehaven 12 182 422 -240 6
Dewsbury 11 151 366 -215 4
LondonB 12 152 338 -186 3
Workington 12 134 423 -289 0
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred League One 2022 ROUND : 9
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Keighley 8 319 66 253 16
Crusaders 8 335 106 229 16
Rochdale 9 376 200 176 14
Swinton 8 346 131 215 12
Doncaster 9 264 242 22 10
Hunslet 8 226 168 58 9
 
Oldham 7 222 160 62 5
Midlands 8 222 261 -39 4
West Wales 8 60 462 -402 2
LondonS 7 92 374 -282 0
Cornwall 8 106 398 -292 0
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Super League XXVII ROUND : 13
 PLDFADIFFPTS
St.Helens 13 308 126 182 22
Catalans 13 290 172 118 20
Wigan 13 332 271 61 18
Huddersfield 13 289 226 63 17
Hull FC 13 284 230 54 16
Castleford 13 285 288 -3 12
 
Hull KR 13 210 256 -46 12
Warrington 13 268 310 -42 10
Salford 13 263 312 -49 10
Leeds 13 193 246 -53 9
Wakefield 13 198 324 -126 6
Toulouse 13 202 361 -159 4
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
National Rugby League 2022 ROUND : 11
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Melbourne 11 408 178 230 18
Penrith 11 322 189 133 18
NQL Cowboys 11 287 131 156 16
Cronulla 11 244 186 58 14
Brisbane 11 233 181 52 14
Parramatta 11 281 233 48 14
Sydney 11 233 200 33 12
Souths 11 236 235 1 10
 
Canberra 11 190 223 -33 10
Manly 11 212 252 -40 10
St.George 11 175 258 -83 10
NZ Warriors 11 198 287 -89 8
Gold Coast 11 178 265 -87 6
Wests 11 162 254 -92 6
Newcastle 11 136 284 -148 6
Canterbury 11 118 257 -139 4
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POST
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
25m
BORED The Band Name Game
Cokey
23801
34m
Prop
Willzay
105
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
10s
Shopping List 2023
davey41
80
10s
Prop
Willzay
105
13s
Game - Song Titles 20212
Wanderer
8463
21s
2023 Squad
KineticRR
14
22s
Coleman gone
BigTime
32
44s
Jake Bibby
the stella k
10
45s
Rumours and signings v9
hengirl
23133
55s
Travel to Spurs
warrior1872
22
1m
Bentley
Seth
10
1m
James Child to referee Challenge Cup Final
tromso
1
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
TODAY
2022 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Week 14
FoxyRhino
1
TODAY
James Child to referee Challenge Cup Final
tromso
1
TODAY
Coleman gone
BigTime
32
TODAY
Bentley
Seth
10
TODAY
Perfect Eagles Homecoming As They Beat The Vikings
RLFANS News
1
TODAY
Wigans 150 year film
Rogues Galle
1
TODAY
Plays from the scrum
Kettykat
8
Random Topics selected.


Visit the RLFANS.COM SHOP
for more merchandise!