WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - no free meals for the poorest kids ?

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Sin Bin no free meals for the poorest kids ?

Off-topic discussion.
Re: no free meals for the poorest kids ? Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:33 am  

User avatarBullseye wrote:
Bullseye User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

It's not the kids fault is it?

As for the tired argument that you shouldn't have kids if you can't afford them that doesn't take into account how peoples circumstances can easily change without warning. I think there's a recent event that may have had some impact here.

Speaking as someone with personal experience of this situation I think free school meals ought to be provided fullstop.
"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.
Re: no free meals for the poorest kids ? Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:52 am  
King Street Cat User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Willzay wrote:
“If you cannot afford children you shouldn’t have them” I bet your the same type who also thinks abortions are murder.

See also those who want to cut overseas aid because we should "help our own people first". Our own people, obviously, being themselves.

The right just can't stand the thought of someone else getting something for nowt. Unless it's them, of course. Give them a tax break and they're suddenly in favour of a gimme.
"Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him."
Re: no free meals for the poorest kids ? Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:53 am  

User avatarSal Paradise wrote:
Sal Paradise User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Bullseye wrote:
It's not the kids fault is it?

As for the tired argument that you shouldn't have kids if you can't afford them that doesn't take into account how peoples circumstances can easily change without warning. I think there's a recent event that may have had some impact here.

Speaking as someone with personal experience of this situation I think free school meals ought to be provided fullstop.

Who said it was? People's circumstances change but do they prioritise when they do?

I agree those that can't afford should have a meal provided but it should be in the form of a meal not a voucher or UC too easy for some parents to fritter the money away or exchange the vouchers for other things. If you can afford it you should.
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.
Re: no free meals for the poorest kids ? Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:19 pm  

User avatarwrencat1873 wrote:
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

It seems like some of the private sector is stepping in to help feed some of the poorer kids, with various outlets now offering to feed kids for free.
It seems that yet again Boris & Co have got this one wrong.

MP's receive a pay rise and enjoy their subsidised canteen, while voting to keep the poorest kids hungry ??

Levelling up, just as long as you're already well off - there really is no change to the True Blue Tories.
Re: no free meals for the poorest kids ? Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:55 pm  

User avatarBullseye wrote:
Bullseye User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Sal Paradise wrote:
Who said it was? People's circumstances change but do they prioritise when they do?

Of course the vast majority do.
"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.
Re: no free meals for the poorest kids ? Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:10 pm  

User avatarJukesays wrote:
Jukesays User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Who's betting the Facebook and Twitter mob will start a hatchet job on Rashford soon, theyve already started on Burnham.

You know "Hes a millionaire footballer what does he know about being poor?"
"Why doesnt he pay for it then".

You know, the usual gaslighting claptrap
Fans Forum 28.08.08 Fan from Haydock

"I've got one word for you Mr Chairman - Penalty Count"

[quote="The Daddy"]I've got one word for you all......Steve Hanley[/quote]

Some Salford fan said to me and I quote "You are by far and away the most Handsome & Knowledgeable Rugby League Fan in England!"

I thanked him and went on my Merry way!

RIVERCAVE DWELLER OF THE YEAR 2015!
Re: no free meals for the poorest kids ? Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:13 pm  

User avatarDurham Giant wrote:
Durham Giant User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Sal Paradise wrote:
I think a lot of this comes back to core of taking personal responsibility for your own actions. If you want to have children there has to be an assumption that you do intend to provide for them? Its like Covid - if we want to restrict the infection rate the the general population has to stick to the rules as best as it can.

You can provide food for kids in many ways - and this should be a priority of a civilised society. My view is this is taken out of the hands of the parents so everyone knows these kids are having a substantial meal everyday and the money is not getting used for other purposes. It would also make it efficient and cost effective.

Hopefully this doesn't lead down a slippery slope what is next - clothing, hygiene products etc.

So we should not be bailing people out who are desperate for food by spending 20 million but it is ok to spend loads of money bailing out businesses and helping people who can afford to eat by subsidising their food by eating out to help out to the tune of £400 million ?
Huddersfield Giants 2013 over achievers

Huddersfield Giants 2014 under achievers ??????????
Re: no free meals for the poorest kids ? Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:57 pm  

User avatarwrencat1873 wrote:
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Durham Giant wrote:
So we should not be bailing people out who are desperate for food by spending 20 million but it is ok to spend loads of money bailing out businesses and helping people who can afford to eat by subsidising their food by eating out to help out to the tune of £400 million ?

The eat out to help out was a strange scheme, especially for a Conservative government, to pay for out of taxpayers money.
It's true that it helped the better off to have a few cheap meals, after all, it wasn't going to be used by those scratching round for cash to feed the less well off.
Having been in lockdown, there were plenty of folk that were just happy to be able to eat out and I'm not certain that there needed to be government assistance and that's before we think about some the many abuses of the scheme.
Re: no free meals for the poorest kids ? Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:38 pm  

User avatarKhlav Kalash wrote:
Khlav Kalash User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Ultimately, whatever anyone thinks of the parents or their priorities, it's not the kids fault and that's what really matters. Big own goal here, especially when plenty of Tory donors are making a lot of money out of the current situation.
1/10
Re: no free meals for the poorest kids ? Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:10 pm  

Steph Curry wrote:
Steph Curry Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

I wouldn’t mind but all these Tory mps that voted against it, get their meals subsided!

It’s absolutely laughable!

I’m surprised Sal hasn’t told us he has never had to deviate from his caviar and champagne and doesn’t know what all the fuss is about?
Years in existence and average attendance

Leigh Centurions - 100+ years / Circa 3k
Wakefield Wildcats - 100+ years / Circa 4k
Toronto Wolfpack - 3 years / 9k
PreviousNext