RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
22 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Deepest recession in 100 year ?
::Off-topic discussion.
Re: Deepest recession in 100 year ? Wed May 20, 2020 8:14 pm  

User avatarwrencat1873 wrote:
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:28 pm
Posts: 16049
Strinket wrote:
That’d be the Sweden who, in the last week, have had more deaths per capita than any other European country.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-healt ... KKBN22V26V


Yes, that's what I'd posted but, their biggest advantage over every other nation is that they dont have to come out of lockdown.
Other nations risk a second wave / spike but, Sweden do not.

It's still too early to say whether they have got things right but, their ecconomy is certainly in better shape than anyone in Europe and probably most of the rest of the world.
Re: Deepest recession in 100 year ? Wed May 20, 2020 8:40 pm  

User avatarLarge Paws wrote:
Large Paws User avatar
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:16 pm
Posts: 443
Location: In two minds
wrencat1873 wrote:
Yes, that's what I'd posted but, their biggest advantage over every other nation is that they dont have to come out of lockdown.
Other nations risk a second wave / spike but, Sweden do not.

It's still too early to say whether they have got things right but, their ecconomy is certainly in better shape than anyone in Europe and probably most of the rest of the world.

So. which is it? Lockdown, risk two spikes in deaths, or No Lockdown, one spike, overall deaths comparable and a healthy economy.
If, and it's a big if, we get a second spike, it won't be as big as the first. It's a virus, it won't go away, we are unlikely to find a vaccine in the near future, and at some stage we are all going to have to be exposed to it. Sadly people will die. Same as it ever was.
Re: Deepest recession in 100 year ? Thu May 21, 2020 7:33 am  

User avatarwrencat1873 wrote:
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:28 pm
Posts: 16049
Large Paws wrote:
So. which is it? Lockdown, risk two spikes in deaths, or No Lockdown, one spike, overall deaths comparable and a healthy economy.
If, and it's a big if, we get a second spike, it won't be as big as the first. It's a virus, it won't go away, we are unlikely to find a vaccine in the near future, and at some stage we are all going to have to be exposed to it. Sadly people will die. Same as it ever was.


What do you know about the second spike and why wont it be as large as the first wave ?
IF there was to be free movement, the numbers could be huge and greater than before.

On balance, IF every nation lived like the Swedes and their population was similarly sparse in density, then the Swedish model looks better in the longer term.
However, most countries are nothing like Sweden, the UK certainly isn't.

There are murmurings of further restrictions being lifted in the coming weeks and I guess we just have to hope that any increases in numbers contracting the virus are minimal.
The balance in re opening the ecconomy versus preventing the spread sure is a fine line.
Re: Deepest recession in 100 year ? Thu May 21, 2020 8:46 am  

User avatarSal Paradise wrote:
Sal Paradise User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2002 8:28 am
Posts: 17985
Location: On the road
Time will tell as Wrencat has pointed the situation in Sweden is very different to here in the UK. If you take away the outliers like Monaco and the Vatican City the UK is the third most densely populated country in Europe after the Netherlands and Belgium. The advantages of Sweden, unlikely a catastrophic second wave and a less damaged economy - but it is very doubtful the UK could have coped with no lockdown unless we were prepared to accept a higher death rate and collateral externality of that decision? One thing is certain it will take a will to get the economy back on its feet.
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.
Re: Deepest recession in 100 year ? Thu May 21, 2020 10:32 am  

User avatarwrencat1873 wrote:
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:28 pm
Posts: 16049
Sal Paradise wrote:
Time will tell as Wrencat has pointed the situation in Sweden is very different to here in the UK. If you take away the outliers like Monaco and the Vatican City the UK is the third most densely populated country in Europe after the Netherlands and Belgium. The advantages of Sweden, unlikely a catastrophic second wave and a less damaged economy - but it is very doubtful the UK could have coped with no lockdown unless we were prepared to accept a higher death rate and collateral externality of that decision? One thing is certain it will take a will to get the economy back on its feet.


Yes but, the big question is when ?

Quick question Sal, if you had a hundred quid in your pocket and were a gambling man, how much of your £100 would you wager on the track and trace app being fully functional (or close to it) by the 1st June.
This has the same whiff as the 100,000 tests PER DAY that were promised, but rarely hit, by the end of May.

I absolutely understand the need to get good news out there but, the unnecessary exaggeration / spin /lies by Boris & Co is just bloody annoying and perpetuates the lack of trust in what they tell the masses.
It's no wonder parents are too scared to send their kids back to school and the teachers dont feel that they will be safe.
Re: Deepest recession in 100 year ? Thu May 21, 2020 10:51 am  

User avatarMild Rover wrote:
Mild Rover User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:49 am
Posts: 11956
Location: Leicestershire.
I think when lives are on the line, including your own, people are going to see more clearly. While enough people saw Johnson as as a blustering charmer to let him do something that felt distant, like the run the country, when it comes to something this immediate people are just not going to trust him. He’s a poor fit for bad times. Corbyn would have been like supply teacher trying to reason with an unruly class, so that’d have been difficult too, I absolutely admit. The Johnson cult is a lot less durable (and less unhealthy) than that around Trump, imo - there isn’t that unquestioning faith that Trump can still rely on from his base.

I think the emergence people from political fringes, like Corbyn and Johnson and Rees-Mogg, was an understandable reaction against the smooth managerial style of the likes of Blair, Cameron and Clegg. In turn, I can see Starmer and Sunak representing a reaction against the oddballs.
'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.
Re: Deepest recession in 100 year ? Thu May 21, 2020 11:25 am  

User avatarSal Paradise wrote:
Sal Paradise User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2002 8:28 am
Posts: 17985
Location: On the road
wrencat1873 wrote:
Yes but, the big question is when ?

Quick question Sal, if you had a hundred quid in your pocket and were a gambling man, how much of your £100 would you wager on the track and trace app being fully functional (or close to it) by the 1st June.
This has the same whiff as the 100,000 tests PER DAY that were promised, but rarely hit, by the end of May.

I absolutely understand the need to get good news out there but, the unnecessary exaggeration / spin /lies by Boris & Co is just bloody annoying and perpetuates the lack of trust in what they tell the masses.
It's no wonder parents are too scared to send their kids back to school and the teachers dont feel that they will be safe.


Not a penny - there is simply no chance - if I were the Tories I would pick a hot spot offer an inducement for people to download the app and run a trial and report on it everyday. The general public could see things were happening and it would give the developers a breathing space of a month.

I agree with your last statement - lying is completely counter-productive. The next election will be all about trust - who do you trust to run the country and these lies will come back again and again. That's why I can't see Boris leading the country into the next election.
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.
Re: Deepest recession in 100 year ? Thu May 21, 2020 12:34 pm  
King Street Cat User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:49 am
Posts: 4430
Location: WF4
Sal Paradise wrote:
lying is completely counter-productive.


The government would do better to announce these things with a bit of restraint, and be honest that these things take time. But that's not where we're at in this current political cycle. It has to be overinflated hyperbole every single time. Charisma over clarity. Brawn over brains. "We'll fight them on the beaches..." and all that populist nonsense.

Instead of, "we will have a system in place by x date, and it will be capable of testing x million people, and it will be world-leading, best in its class, great British technology, with a 100% accuracy rate". Why can't they just say, "we are working on a competent system to deal with the ever increasing demands of this pandemic". How hard is that? I know it's a bit boring, and it doesn't appeal to the clapping seal brigade, who just want tossing a fish, but it saves a lot of squabbling down the line.

I often see Boris fans on social media asking his critics why they want the UK to fail. They don't want the UK to fail. It's just inevitable when you hype something up so much, and you don't deliver, it's viewed as a failure in the eyes of others.
"Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him."
Re: Deepest recession in 100 year ? Thu May 21, 2020 12:56 pm  

User avatarSal Paradise wrote:
Sal Paradise User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2002 8:28 am
Posts: 17985
Location: On the road
King Street Cat wrote:
The government would do better to announce these things with a bit of restraint, and be honest that these things take time. But that's not where we're at in this current political cycle. It has to be overinflated hyperbole every single time. Charisma over clarity. Brawn over brains. "We'll fight them on the beaches..." and all that populist nonsense.

Instead of, "we will have a system in place by x date, and it will be capable of testing x million people, and it will be world-leading, best in its class, great British technology, with a 100% accuracy rate". Why can't they just say, "we are working on a competent system to deal with the ever increasing demands of this pandemic". How hard is that? I know it's a bit boring, and it doesn't appeal to the clapping seal brigade, who just want tossing a fish, but it saves a lot of squabbling down the line.

I often see Boris fans on social media asking his critics why they want the UK to fail. They don't want the UK to fail. It's just inevitable when you hype something up so much, and you don't deliver, it's viewed as a failure in the eyes of others.


Classic "over promise, under deliver"
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.
Re: Deepest recession in 100 year ? Thu May 21, 2020 1:01 pm  
King Street Cat User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:49 am
Posts: 4430
Location: WF4
Sal Paradise wrote:
Classic "over promise, under deliver"


I was taught early on in my career to 'keep a bit back'. The work place equavalent of telling your wife you'll be home half an hour later than you know you will be. :DRUNK: That way everybody's happy!
"Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him."
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MatthewTrin and 76 guests

Quick Reply



Subject:
Message:

   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.

Return to The Sin Bin


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDTEAM
5,183,4691,48278,6709,567LOGIN
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
YOU HAVE RL CHAT OFF
RLFANS Match Centre
 Full Time.
(Hover Score)
 
NRL
Souths
60-22
NZ Warriors
 Full Time.
(Hover Score)
 
NRL
Manly
44-24
Wests
 Full Time.
(Hover Score)
 
NRL
Penrith
18-12
Brisbane
 Full Time.
 
 L1
LondonS
46-30
West Wales
 Full Time.
 
SL
Catalans
32-30
Hull KR
O
F
F
 
TODAY : 17:00
SL
Catalans
v
Castleford
Postponed
O
F
F
 
TODAY : 18:00
 CH
Toulouse
v
Dewsbury
Postponed
TOMORROW 04:50
NRL
St.George
v
Gold Coast
TOMORROW 07:05
NRL
Canterbury
v
Cronulla
TOMORROW 12:00
WSL
WiganW
v
WakefieldW
TOMORROW 12:00
WSL
YorkW
v
Hudds W
TOMORROW 12:30
 CH
Sheffield
v
Halifax
TOMORROW 15:00
 CH
Batley
v
Newcastle
TOMORROW 15:00
 CH
Bradford
v
Featherstone
O
F
F
 
TOMORROW : 15:00
 CH
LondonB
v
Widnes
Postponed
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Sat 24th Jul
NRL
LIVE
Souths60-22NZ Warriors
NRL
LIVE
Manly44-24Wests
NRL
LIVE
Penrith18-12Brisbane
L1
LIVE
LondonS46-30West Wales
SL
LIVE
Catalans32-30Hull KR
Fri 23rd Jul
NRL RND: 19 Sydney28-8Newcastle
NRL RND: 19 NQL Cowboys16-20Melbourne
SL RND: 15 Leeds38-16Salford
SL RND: 15 Wigan25-12Wakefield
Thu 22nd Jul
NRL RND: 19 Parramatta10-12Canberra
SL RND: 15 Huddersfield40-26Hull FC
Mon 19th Jul
WSL RND: 11 WiganW4-12YorkW
Sun 18th Jul
NRL RND: 18 NZ Warriors16-30Penrith
NRL RND: 18 Brisbane24-42Wests
NRL RND: 18 Souths32-24Canterbury
WSL RND: 9 BradfordW42-12FeatherstoneW
WSL RND: 9 LeedsW24-0Hudds W
WSL RND: 9 St.HelensW24-0WakefieldW
WSL RND: 9 Wire W12-48CastlefordW
Sat 17th Jul
NRL RND: 18 Canberra34-18Cronulla
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
National Rugby League 2021 ROUND : 18
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Penrith 8 212 60 152 16
Melbourne 9 292 108 184 14
Parramatta 8 229 106 123 14
Souths 8 235 124 111 14
Sydney 8 236 92 144 12
St.George 8 161 157 4 8
Gold Coast 9 218 219 -1 8
NZ Warriors 8 157 178 -21 8
 
Manly 9 177 234 -57 8
Canberra 9 173 209 -36 6
Newcastle 8 137 204 -67 6
NQL Cowboys 8 146 237 -91 6
Cronulla 9 152 226 -74 4
Wests 8 130 226 -96 4
Brisbane 9 140 240 -100 4
Canterbury 9 92 280 -188 2
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Super League XXVI ROUND : 15
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Catalans 14 419 226 193 26 185.40 92.86
St.Helens 12 286 96 190 20 297.92 83.33
Warrington 13 408 213 195 19 191.55 73.08
Wigan 15 247 268 -21 20 92.16 66.67
Hull FC 12 286 215 71 15 133.02 62.50
Hull KR 11 271 244 27 12 111.07 54.55
 
Leeds 14 332 251 81 14 132.27 50
Castleford 14 251 354 -103 12 70.90 42.86
Salford 14 237 405 -168 8 58.52 28.57
Huddersfield 15 244 318 -74 8 76.73 26.67
Wakefield 15 259 354 -95 8 73.16 26.67
Leigh 13 212 508 -296 0 41.73 0
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Championship 2021 ROUND : 13
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Toulouse 9 433 88 345 18 492.05 100
Featherstone 12 537 136 401 24 394.85 100
Bradford 12 324 279 45 18 116.13 75
Halifax 13 358 171 187 18 209.36 69.23
LondonB 13 374 337 37 17 110.98 65.38
Batley 13 328 274 54 16 119.71 61.54
 
Newcastle 12 272 358 -86 11 75.98 45.83
Widnes 13 307 344 -37 11 89.24 42.31
Sheffield 13 285 373 -88 11 76.41 42.31
Whitehaven 13 249 372 -123 9 66.94 34.62
Dewsbury 13 197 379 -182 9 51.98 34.62
York 13 299 317 -18 8 94.32 30.77
Oldham 12 166 442 -276 4 37.56 16.67
Swinton 13 224 483 -259 0 46.38 0
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred League One 2021 ROUND : 10
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Barrow 10 342 150 192 17 228 85
Workington 9 334 158 176 15 211.39 83.33
Doncaster 9 308 189 119 14 162.96 77.78
Keighley 10 348 239 109 10 145.61 50
Rochdale 10 279 280 -1 10 99.64 50
Crusaders 10 278 318 -40 10 87.42 50
 
Coventry 8 204 240 -36 8 85 50
Hunslet 10 268 257 11 8 104.28 40
LondonS 8 154 292 -138 2 52.74 12.50
West Wales 10 122 514 -392 0 23.74 0
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Womens Super League 2021 ROUND : 9
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
LeedsW 7 364 38 326 14 957.89 100
St.HelensW 7 370 36 334 12 1,027.78 85.71
WiganW 6 222 64 158 10 346.88 83.33
YorkW 6 186 102 84 8 182.35 66.67
CastlefordW 6 166 96 70 8 172.92 66.67
BradfordW 8 158 264 -106 6 59.85 37.50
 
Hudds W 7 104 288 -184 4 36.11 28.57
Wire W 8 150 334 -184 4 44.91 25
FeatherstoneW 8 122 338 -216 4 36.09 25
WakefieldW 7 50 332 -282 0 15.06 0
RLFANS Recent Posts




X