WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Are all things Yorkshire best ?

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Sin Bin Are all things Yorkshire best ?

Off-topic discussion.
Re: Are all things Yorkshire best ?
Post Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:29 pm
Posted by silver2 on Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:29 pm
silver2 User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 174
Rep Position: 102nd / 77,648

Quiz Score: 0

Yorkshire? Never heard of the place. According to my map of the universe, there's just Lancashire and nowt else.
Post Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:43 am
Posted by Pumpetypump on Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:43 am
Pumpetypump User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 227
Rep Position: 74th / 77,648

Quiz Score: 320

I'll give an example of a Yes and No.

First off an example of where Yorkshire is deluded. I'm from Leeds. People in this city think they are the equal of Manchester which is absolutely absurd across the board. Culturally no comparison Manc city centre has several museums and Leeds has one pretty dull one. Musically, Manchester spawned a scene whereas Leeds has periodically spat out Chumbawumba, Kaiser chiefs etc. Sporting terms, two gigantic Football sides, versus a hapless Championship one.

On the flipside I would say the East Coast is far more diverse and interesting than the West Coast. Blackpool, Southport and Morecambe are not the equal of Scarborough, Whitby and Bridlington. There's no quaint Staithes or Robin Hood's Bay's on the west coast. And as we all know, Adolf Hitler himself was utterly furious to be going to Blackpool instead of Bridlington for the lads night out.
Post Fri May 31, 2019 6:01 pm
Posted by wigginswarrior on Fri May 31, 2019 6:01 pm
wigginswarrior User avatar
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Reputation Points: 10
Rep Position: 245th / 77,648

Post Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:06 am
Posted by Psychedelic Casual on Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:06 am
Psychedelic Casual User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 337
Rep Position: 35th / 77,648

I find the idea of counties archaic and outright strange.

Lines on a map that don’t really exist in real life on the land. Villages, towns and cities exist as they are physical entities that you can map as a conurbation to say “I am from here”. Forests, mountain ranges, lakes, islands and continents exist as they are physical entities too.

Counties and even most countries, however, are just made up rubbish that were introduced in order to control people and are really now just their own administrative businesses formulating their justification for existence through their GDP mostly to keep the rich from these places rich or make them richer.

“Lancashire” “Yorkshire” or “England” “Scotland” and “Wales” do not exist. The hamlets, villages, towns and cities on the island of Great Britain do exist though.

Even the idea of “Lancashire” and “Yorkshire” and their emblems are based on a load of historical inaccuracies. The Wars Of The Roses were battles between elites, who were mostly landowners from the South of England and the Welsh Marches and their subjects, two of whom were given meaningless titles and stately homes in Lancaster and York and involved very little of the populations of Lancashire and Yorkshire. The Lancaster red rose and the York white rose has nothing to do with Manchester or Sheffield yet these two cities have those emblems across their cities and ManCity and SheffUtd have these emblems on their badges even though they are miles away from Lancaster and York and have even less in common with the Southern English or Welsh Marches landowners who were part of the Wars Of The Roses.

And what about what stood before them? What about Emlet? What about Brigantia?

It’s all a load of rubbish if you ask me.
Previous