WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - USA and gun control

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Sin Bin USA and gun control

Off-topic discussion.
Re: USA and gun control Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:21 pm  

User avatarbren2k wrote:
bren2k User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:32 pm
Posts: 15521
Location: Ossett
Canoeman wrote:
There is a gun problem there...no one has denied that. You should not be too quick to condemn though....I believe, from memory, the village was called Dunblane.


Yes it was - it triggered a reform to gun laws in this country that made them even harder to get hold of and banned private ownership of high calibre handguns and later, .22 calibre handguns; there was also an amnesty, which took about 170k handguns out of circulation.

So, that's one way to respond; another way is to arm teachers.
Re: USA and gun control Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:11 pm  

User avatarCanoeman wrote:
Canoeman User avatar
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Tue May 29, 2018 11:04 pm
Posts: 441
Location: Deep Dark Boreal Forest
bren2k wrote:
Yes it was - it triggered a reform to gun laws in this country that made them even harder to get hold of and banned private ownership of high calibre handguns and later, .22 calibre handguns; there was also an amnesty, which took about 170k handguns out of circulation.

So, that's one way to respond; another way is to arm teachers.

Crazy talk...arming teachers is stupid plain and simple.
Re: USA and gun control Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:24 pm  

User avatarRoyBoy29 wrote:
RoyBoy29 User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 8:29 am
Posts: 1676
Canoeman wrote:
Crazy talk...arming teachers is stupid plain and simple.



Have to agree with you there
Irony is represented below.

JEAN CAPDOUZE wrote:
He is not telling the truth. He is talking paranoid rubbish.
Re: USA and gun control Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:50 pm  

User avatarCanoeman wrote:
Canoeman User avatar
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Tue May 29, 2018 11:04 pm
Posts: 441
Location: Deep Dark Boreal Forest
RoyBoy29 wrote:
Have to agree with you there

Do you have any idea how many students would end up getting shot?--- and some parents too! Sure wouldn't want to be in admin....what a crazy idea.
Re: USA and gun control Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:40 am  

User avatarbren2k wrote:
bren2k User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:32 pm
Posts: 15521
Location: Ossett
Canoeman wrote:
Crazy talk...arming teachers is stupid plain and simple.


For clarity - that was my point; legislating to remove guns seems like the only logical way to respond. The US gun lobby, and Trump, calling to arm teachers is an outrageously stupid idea, in an age when stupid has become the new normal.
Re: USA and gun control Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:49 pm  

User avatarCanoeman wrote:
Canoeman User avatar
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Tue May 29, 2018 11:04 pm
Posts: 441
Location: Deep Dark Boreal Forest
bren2k wrote:
For clarity - that was my point; legislating to remove guns seems like the only logical way to respond. The US gun lobby, and Trump, calling to arm teachers is an outrageously stupid idea, in an age when stupid has become the new normal.

This totally ignores the problems of stolen and illegally imported/purchased firearms. You can't legislate a convicted felon (already banned from owning a gun) to not purchase a weapon on the black market and then use it....how would you propose to do this?

Also, if you are so opposed to guns why is your username a famous light machine gun? Seems odd is all.
Re: USA and gun control Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:01 pm  

User avatarbren2k wrote:
bren2k User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:32 pm
Posts: 15521
Location: Ossett
Canoeman wrote:
This totally ignores the problems of stolen and illegally imported/purchased firearms. You can't legislate a convicted felon (already banned from owning a gun) to not purchase a weapon on the black market and then use it....how would you propose to do this?


I didn't say for a minute that it solved the problem - but it certainly tackled a big part of it; if a person can't obtain a firearm legitimately, then it's not available to be stolen, yes?

As for the illegal import and more latterly, the conversion of blank or replica pistols (what the police call 'junk firearms') - I believe that did rise after the legislation was introduced; I don't know how you tackle that - but I would argue that slashing police budgets and removing 20k frontline police officers is probably not part of a wise prevention strategy.

Canoeman wrote:
Also, if you are so opposed to guns why is your username a famous light machine gun? Seems odd is all.


It's my name you plonker.
Re: USA and gun control Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:58 pm  

User avatarCanoeman wrote:
Canoeman User avatar
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Tue May 29, 2018 11:04 pm
Posts: 441
Location: Deep Dark Boreal Forest
bren2k wrote:
I didn't say for a minute that it solved the problem - but it certainly tackled a big part of it; if a person can't obtain a firearm legitimately, then it's not available to be stolen, yes?

As for the illegal import and more latterly, the conversion of blank or replica pistols (what the police call 'junk firearms') - I believe that did rise after the legislation was introduced; I don't know how you tackle that - but I would argue that slashing police budgets and removing 20k frontline police officers is probably not part of a wise prevention strategy.

It's my name you plonker.


So you have no answer to my question about illegal imports...your situation is far different from ours being on a far distant island. Canada shares the longest undefended border in the world with the US. Firearms are very cheap in the US and easy to get across the border....how do you stop someone from walking across an undefended border point with a pistol?.....and please don't say by spending more, and more, and more....doesn't mitigate the problem. You have no idea in Europe of the geographic size of the border over here.

So your parents called you after a light machine gun...interesting....I fired a Bren before and I liked it....a beautiful weapon.
Re: USA and gun control Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:46 pm  

User avatarCokey wrote:
Cokey User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:58 pm
Posts: 9903
Location: Across The Universe....... Jai guru deva om - Nothings gonna change my world.
Stick to these shots instead. :D




Image
Image
Re: USA and gun control Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:57 pm  

User avatarCanoeman wrote:
Canoeman User avatar
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Tue May 29, 2018 11:04 pm
Posts: 441
Location: Deep Dark Boreal Forest
Cokey wrote:
Stick to these shots instead. :D




Image

Hey...its a Hull KR fan upon just learning the news that they have to play TWP at Lamport for the Middle 8's!

Better fetch another bottle...Wolfpack undefeated at home...in the entire history of the club they have never been beaten at home!

GO CANADA!
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ornery Optimist and 57 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.

Return to The Sin Bin


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
5,086,4681,16778,2924,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and fixtures and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
YOU HAVE RL CHAT OFF
Please Support RLFANS.COM


YOU HAVE RL FIXTURES OFF
RLFANS Recent Posts


Visit the RLFANS.COM SHOP
for more merchandise!



X