WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Brexit Anyone? (2)

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Sin Bin Brexit Anyone? (2)

Off-topic discussion.
Re: Brexit Anyone? (2) Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:59 pm  

User avatarSal Paradise wrote:
Sal Paradise User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2002 8:28 am
Posts: 17953
Location: On the road
wrencat1873 wrote:
Are you being deliberately shy with facts or, just putting your spin on certain issues.
Average shipping time from USA would be 3 weeks (slightly less from the East Side).

Aldi and Lidl's success is in stocking a limited range of products, topped up with "seasonal specials", which massively reduces their overheads, allowing them to be "more competitive" than such as Sainsbury or Tesco.

Trading with the EU makes sense due to its geographic location, which is only needed for short shelf life and quick turnaround product.
The UK spends huge amounts in China and India, taking advantage of their extremely cheap labour (around $50/ month in China for factory workers) and less in parts of Asia.
There are trading opportunities in Africa but, many of these are not new, the company I worked for previously exported all over the world and imported from India, China, Zimbabwe (until their currency exploded), along with most of the major European countries.
We exported into Kenya, Uganda, Australia, Scandinavia, Canada etc and many European countries, which has become far, far easier over the last 30+ years.

There will always be new opportunities but, there certainly isnt a huge untapped source in some new unknown nation to either buy from or sell to.

Africa will be the next new "cheap" supply option but, this will be available for EU nations to "take advantage of" and not reserved for those on the outside.

If all else was equal, why would anyone want to buy from the US instead of The EU, it doesnt make sense. Just more fantasy island stuff
http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/st ... -lower-av/

$20 per hour average compared to the UK £14 (with plenty on the minimum wage)

I know its difficult but, let's have some serious facts rather than crossed fingers.


Are you struggling with reading or are you being deliberately obtuse?

I never mentioned selling product anywhere - I only suggested alternatives to EU sourced products.

I used Aldi/Lidl as an example of where consumers are more than willing to accept a cheaper alternative i.e. create demand through pricing product attractively.

What do you think is going to happen if EU product increases in price - demand will drop off as consumers seek out cheaper options. What do you think the EU producers response will be to falling demand - do nothing or reduce their prices?

I appreciate the blindingly obvious is difficult when your views are so entrenched but this will be the reality - consumers aren't lemmings they will react negatively to increased costs as Aldi/Lidl's competitors have discovered.
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.
Re: Brexit Anyone? (2) Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:40 pm  
The Ghost of '99 User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:45 pm
Posts: 1251
Location: Desperation Island
Unlike the belief of rabid right wing ideologues, we don't live in a perfect market. The EU has a huge structural advantage because they are near so we can get products quickly and, in a lot of cases, because they have the skills to produce goods to a higher standard than elsewhere. For a lot of markets that combination is critical and whilst the latter can be overcome by competitors the former simply cannot.

Since many or even most UK-produced goods rely on at least some raw materials which are imported the EU is the natural place to source them from. Most businesses simply can't wait for things to arrive by sea from China and can't cope with the cost of airfreighting them.

This discussion is an attempt, without much success, to shoehorn ideological beliefs to match the unfortunate facts of international trade.
"Brian McDermott, with a wry smile, nods when asked if he remembers a specific incident which made him realise he was a prick. 'I do', he murmurs."
Re: Brexit Anyone? (2) Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:03 am  

User avatarSal Paradise wrote:
Sal Paradise User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2002 8:28 am
Posts: 17953
Location: On the road
The Ghost of '99 wrote:
Unlike the belief of rabid right wing ideologues, we don't live in a perfect market. The EU has a huge structural advantage because they are near so we can get products quickly and, in a lot of cases, because they have the skills to produce goods to a higher standard than elsewhere. For a lot of markets that combination is critical and whilst the latter can be overcome by competitors the former simply cannot.

Since many or even most UK-produced goods rely on at least some raw materials which are imported the EU is the natural place to source them from. Most businesses simply can't wait for things to arrive by sea from China and can't cope with the cost of airfreighting them.

This discussion is an attempt, without much success, to shoehorn ideological beliefs to match the unfortunate facts of international trade.



I think you are correct the ideology that nothing will change except cost is flawed - humans are pretty imaginative and adaptable and have shown this over the ages. It is just a myth put forward by remainers such as you with no evidence to support that theory.

It would be difficult to see how raw material can be more expensive than the impact of the falling pound have been on imports - yet businesses have still continued producing and inflation has got out of hand. Its just doom-mongering from a bitter set of left-leaning individuals like yourself who think they know better than everyone else and who'se view of democracy is that it is OK as long as the vote goes their way.
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.
Re: Brexit Anyone? (2) Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:50 am  

User avatarwrencat1873 wrote:
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:28 pm
Posts: 14676
Sal Paradise wrote:
Are you struggling with reading or are you being deliberately obtuse?

I never mentioned selling product anywhere - I only suggested alternatives to EU sourced products.

I used Aldi/Lidl as an example of where consumers are more than willing to accept a cheaper alternative i.e. create demand through pricing product attractively.

What do you think is going to happen if EU product increases in price - demand will drop off as consumers seek out cheaper options. What do you think the EU producers response will be to falling demand - do nothing or reduce their prices?

I appreciate the blindingly obvious is difficult when your views are so entrenched but this will be the reality - consumers aren't lemmings they will react negatively to increased costs as Aldi/Lidl's competitors have discovered.


Trading: the action or activity of BUYING and goods and services.

Regarding the EU competing for their market share, of course they will, which, apart from their geographic proximity to the UK, is the main reason for our trade.

As for entrenched views, I think that you are wrong.

The "Leave" vote was for 2 or 3 main reasons, Immigration being top of the list.
Personally I would put the coutry's prosperity above immigration, I dont think this is an "entrenched" view, more common sense, although I do accept that "free movement" was getting out of control.
However, on immigration, we still come back to the "controlled" immigration (from outside the EU) was pretty much equal to the numbers coming from The EU, making a mockery of the immigration argument

The "entrenched" views seem to be mainly from the right wing brigade, desperate to "take control", regardless of the effect that this will have on the rest of us.

Apart from the absolute rubbish spewed out during the referendum, we are still waiting to hear what REAL benefits there will be, when we retreat to our small politically fractured island and the silence has been deafening.
Just would, could, might and maybe. As I said crossed fingers and blind faith, not a sensible plan or strategy among any of you and certainly not from our esteemed government. :SHHH:
Re: Brexit Anyone? (2) Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:07 pm  

User avatarwrencat1873 wrote:
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:28 pm
Posts: 14676
Are we heading for a no deal ?

So much talk about the need to speed things up and The Cabinet still not in agreement (which is unbelievable).
A no deal would allow The Tories (and everyone else) to blame those nasty EU negotiators and appease the Brexitiers who are just desperate to leave (regardless of the cost ).

It's quite staggering that "we" still haven't got a plan than is close to being acceptable.
Mrs May still with her fingers crossed and putting party before country, shame on her.
Re: Brexit Anyone? (2) Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:33 am  

User avatarDally wrote:
Dally User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2001 12:04 pm
Posts: 14836
The EU only agree ever agree things at the last minute when the pressure is on. Government should just carry on doing nothing until the EU blinks at the prospect of a do ca.led 'no deal.' Fractures are developing on the 27 and will become huge if we hold our nerve.
Re: Brexit Anyone? (2) Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:55 am  

User avatarwrencat1873 wrote:
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:28 pm
Posts: 14676
Dally wrote:
The EU only agree ever agree things at the last minute when the pressure is on. Government should just carry on doing nothing until the EU blinks at the prospect of a do ca.led 'no deal.' Fractures are developing on the 27 and will become huge if we hold our nerve.


I know that the EU are finally doing something about mass migration (although this is already at far lower levels than a few years ago) but the The Cabinet is far more fractured than the other EU members and which ever direction Mrs May chooses to lean will destroy her own government, which probably explains why she wont commit us to anything.
Re: Brexit Anyone? (2) Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:30 pm  

Leigh_Manning Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Thu May 31, 2018 5:44 am
Posts: 287
We just need Noel Edmonds to sort a Deal or No Deal, Mr Blobby already sat on the opposition bench
Re: Brexit Anyone? (2) Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:16 pm  

majorhound wrote:
majorhound Stevo's Armpit

Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:37 am
Posts: 98
I've been reading Tony Benn's diaries from 2001 to 2007. I'm not much of a Benn fan, but he covers the Tory leadership election in 2005 and describes Cameron as "shallow" and by god he was right. The useless Cameron knew that the anti EU press had been poisoning public opinion drop by drop over 25 years. He comes to power, and introduces swingeingly unnecessary austerity. He then goes to the country saying he would get better terms from the EU and put it to a referendum, in order to buy the silence of the loonies in his party. They remained silent ok, because they knew there were no better terms available. We had the best deal of any of the EU members. So he comes back empty handed, and still holds the referendum, which of course he loses. It should be obvious why he lost. The places that voted in large number for leave were the very places that have been hardest his by his government's policies. He resigns and the even more spineless Theresa is elected. Meanwhile back at the ranch Labour elect a leader who hasn't a clue what to do about Brexit.
So what's the answer kiddies? Another vote is the answer, because this is too big for a simple majority. Corbyn should get his act together and assemble the majority in parliament that exists for this course of action. Obviously Dominic Grieve was lacking in the cojones to go all the way.
Unless we step back from the brink the ordinary every day people of this country are going to suffer a horrendous ten years. Does anyone in their right mind think the likes of Aaron Banks, or James Dyson, or Rupert Murdoch, or William Rees Mogg or Nigel Lawson have the interests of the British worker at heart?
Re: Brexit Anyone? (2) Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:06 pm  

User avatarBullseye wrote:
Bullseye User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2001 12:04 pm
Posts: 29744
Location: The Corridor of Uncertainty
It's going to be interesting. Can't kick the can any further down the road now.
"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 52 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.

Return to The Sin Bin


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
5,086,58357278,2924,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and fixtures and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
YOU HAVE RL CHAT OFF
Please Support RLFANS.COM


YOU HAVE RL FIXTURES OFF
RLFANS Recent Posts


Visit the RLFANS.COM SHOP
for more merchandise!



X