FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Event ticket industry needs investigating and regulating.
::Off-topic discussion.
RankPostsTeam
International Star4641
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 25 201014 years198th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Apr 24 17:4914th Mar 24 11:07LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him."

As massive fans of Phoenix Nights, we had a look into getting tickets for one of the live shows in Manchester. Looking on Ticketmaster suggested tickets were available in 3 price bands so we did a search to see what we could come up with... Nothing, the night we wanted had clearly sold out but there was no indication of this, just a link to Ticketmaster's sister site GETMEIN. GETMEIN is an online 'ticket marketplace' for people to buy and sell tickets. On the GETMEIN site there were loads of tickets available but at a premium price. Premium meaning rip off in this case. There was also a processing fee added to each ticket despite us wanting to buy 3 in one transaction.

On clicking the BUY button, the breakdown was as follows:

3x tickets - £99.00 each
Processing fee total - £53.68 (what does this actually cover and who gets it?)
Order total - £350.68
Then in small print at the bottom it read 'The original face value of each ticket is £55.00 each as indicated by the seller.'

Surely this is immoral, needs investigating and regulating. I know it's been going on for years but that doesn't make it right. Remember the Rolling Stones tickets reappearing at £15,000 after their initial purchase? How can Ticketmaster be allowed to sell tickets, then take a cut from their customers on the resale of the same ticket through a sister site at a massively inflated price? Some of the tickets were going for well over £100 each. Bearing in mind the Phoenix Nights Live events are for charity, it just adds to the immorality and highlights just what a brazen racket the ticket industry has become.

I know this will keep happening for as long as there are idiots out there willing to pay well over the odds for tickets, but it needs to stop.

We decided not to go, we're big fans but we're not suckers.
Richie 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member17134No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th Sep 20 21:449th Aug 20 18:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Northampton RL....details here: //www.northamptonrl.co.uk

You can hardly blame Ticketmaster (unless they are buying a reselling the tickets themselves) for this but should blame the individuals buying the tickets purely to resell.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member28357
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 17 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Feb 20 11:2324th Oct 19 15:32LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Last edited by Ferocious Aardvark on stardate Jun 26, 3013 11:27 am, edited 48,562,867,458,300,023 times in total

What "regulating" is there to be done? Either tickets can be re-sold, or they can't. If they can, then this was, is and ever will be the result: tickets being snapped up mainly as a business investment with few intending to attend being able to purchase at the initial point of sale.

In principle, anyone can buy anything, it is then theirs to do with as they wish.

The answer would be straightforward, you either pay by plastic or produce ID, and that plastic or that ID has to be produced with the ticket to gain admission. And it would be easy, too. If millions every day can board hundreds of thousands of flights, with all their luggage, through not just ID but the full security charades, and all get settled in their seats, yet the planes fly on time, then it makes getting a few thousand into one venue on one occasion seem easy peasy in comparison.

However I imagine the reason the vendors don't do this is because they WANT the tickets to be like gold dust, so they sell out with no bother. If buyers had to attend then that would cut down the demand. Plus as you say they have got into the "resale" scamming themselves for a piece of that action too, which is another reason they won't do it.

I don't btw buy the objection that once you buy something, you have a legal right to sell which can't be interfered with. In this case it is a personal contract for a service, the "ticket" as a physical object is not the purchase, the personal right to attend the event is. The seller can impose whatever restrictions they like by contract on the buyer (and do - tickets always incorporate a whole raft of conditions) and as long as there was a reasonable option to get a refund if you can't go, it would be legal too.
RankPostsTeam
International Star4641
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 25 201014 years198th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him."

Richie wrote:
You can hardly blame Ticketmaster (unless they are buying a reselling the tickets themselves) for this but should blame the individuals buying the tickets purely to resell.

GETMEIN is a sister site of Ticketmaster set up purely as a site for buyers of tickets to resell their tickets. Ticketmaster are condoning and helping all this happen and are also taking a fair old cut. You're not telling me they don't know what they're doing!
Richie 
RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

King Street Cat wrote:
GETMEIN is a sister site of Ticketmaster set up purely as a site for buyers of tickets to resell their tickets. Ticketmaster are condoning and helping all this happen and are also taking a fair old cut. You're not telling me they don't know what they're doing!

Well Ticketmaster are good at selling tickets, so I'd expect them to try to have some business selling consumer-consumer as well as business-consumer. If it wasn't Ticketmaster it would be someone else running a facilitation website. Would that be OK?
RankPostsTeam
International Star4641
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 25 201014 years198th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Richie wrote:
Well Ticketmaster are good at selling tickets, so I'd expect them to try to have some business selling consumer-consumer as well as business-consumer. If it wasn't Ticketmaster it would be someone else running a facilitation website. Would that be OK?

No.
RankPostsTeam
International Star4641
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 25 201014 years198th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Ferocious Aardvark wrote:
What "regulating" is there to be done?

Wouldn't be hard considering the majority of buying and selling is done online. Could a resale limit be set that only allows resale at retail price plus reasonable seller expenses?
Richie 
RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

King Street Cat wrote:
No.

At least we have some logic then, and no real objection to Ticketmaster's business.

So it's two routes ahead I see:
- Ticket buyers have to name the ticket users at the point of purchase, as per FA. Works for airlines, but ID checks, having to carry ID etc would be a pain in the booty.
- Tickets are sold at something closer to their real market value in the first place. If the first sale was at $50 and the resale $100 (sorry, no pound symbol on my SA keyboard!) then perhaps they should have been $100 in the first place.

Putting a resale price limit would just push the resale down more grey market channels and reduce the buyer protection you get by using an official channel.
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman37704No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 25 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
7th Aug 18 19:077th Aug 18 19:06LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
The older I get, the better I was

Advice is what we seek when we already know the answer - but wish we didn't

I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full-frontal lobotomy
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
kirkstaller wrote: "All DNA shows is that we have a common creator."

cod'ead wrote: "I have just snotted weissbier all over my keyboard & screen"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"No amount of cajolery, and no attempts at ethical or social seduction, can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred for the Tory Party. So far as I am concerned they are lower than vermin." - Aneurin Bevan

Richie wrote:

Surely Ticketmaster would welcome an independent audit, just to satisfy everyone that they do not overtly or covertly allocate tickets to LetMeIn?
Richie 
RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

cod'ead wrote:
Surely Ticketmaster would welcome an independent audit, just to satisfy everyone that they do not overtly or covertly allocate tickets to LetMeIn?

Yep, or audit by the event hosts who's tickets they sell, who I'm sure would be equally vexed to find their reseller were manipulating ticket sales and pricing.
Next