FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - My Grand Final.
::[url=//saints.org.uk](Website)[/url]
RankPostsTeam
International Star150
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 11 201311 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Dec 16 11:467th Oct 16 09:24LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

My Grand Final. : Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:21 am  
Sorry its late (due to ill health) but this is my account of my Grand Final.

It started off at my local pub in Appley Bridge in Wigan. All the boys were together and in high spirits. I was the only Saints fan in the party and I was told on many occasion what Wigan were going to do to us and how St Helens had no chance of winning the Grand Final. I simply replied on every occasion I got some abuse "Talk is cheap its doing it that counts!!!" In my heart of hearts I honestly was going into the Grand Final knowing defeat was almost a certainty. We had no Jonny Lomax, Luke Walsh and Jon Wilkin. I knew we would have to have the game of our lives to even come close.

Heading into Manchester the banter was again going from me and the Wigan supporters which to be honest I enjoy the craic. Again the Pies were so sure of themselves that victory was secured they started playing "We are the Champions!!!" It was only then I started to believe that maybe this could be our day but kept that to myself because I didn't want friends of mine knowing haha!

Dropped off our bags at the Hotel in Deansgate and went for a very nice meal at Sams Chophouse (which I can strongly recommend) and headed off to the Tollgate Pub just around the corner from Old Trafford!!!

After a few beers we started walking to the ground my heart was beating as fast as anyone could imagine (was that a good sign???) I was starting to feel more confident but still keeping my council infront of my pie eating mates, still playing down that Saints are there for the taking. Once we got into the ground I heard the news that Micky McIllorum wouldn't be playing and as soon as I told a few mates they looked at me in horror thinking I was winding them up. Sam Powell at Nine wouldn't be that much of a problem to us I felt and the loss of McIllorum would help us greatly.

As the teams walked out from the tunnel I had tears in my eyes, (I am not ashamed to admit that as I was confident something special was about to be witnessed) Then the game kicked off. I knew Saints were serious up for it because of the terrific shot on Dom Crosby by Mose Masoe in the first hit up, that gave even more confidence. Obviously as everyone knows after 90 or so seconds of the Grand Final Ben Flower was sent off and I knew then it was going to be our day. Although we were behind on the scoreboard at half time I wasn't unduly worried. I knew we would get chances in the second half and the Wigan side would obviously tire towards the end of the game. The Second Half was like a whirlwind for me. We went ahead but there weren't any real signs of Wigan tiring and were constant threat. I have to say some of our defence was quite possible some of the best, if the not the best I have ever witnessed from a Saints side. It was quite incredible, the dedication to one another and there never say die attitude was truly magnificent and inspiring. When Tommy Makinson collected the high ball and scored and there around 10 minutes left to play I knew we were almost there! Then for my most embarrassing moment haha! I looked to my left (with around 90 seconds to go and the game was safe) and saw the Saints fans, waving the flags, willing there side home and signing asloud at Old Trafford as I have ever heard them, memories came flooding back of our 5 Grand Final defeats and the pain we all suffered, the ridicule we had all taken and I burst into tears!!! (the first and only time I have done this by the way!!!) It was tears of absolute and utter joy that finally we had got that fat monkey off our backs. Most definitely my proudest moment being a Saints fan and boy did the party start then!

A very good friend of mine at a hotel bar after we got changed and ready for a night out came up too be with a very large Vodka and Coke and said "Won have won the Grand Final by default (he was joking), but to see the sheer joy on your face was great to see even if it did break my heart to see Wigan lose, we have given you some s**t over the years and you have taken it, your a legend, you deserve it but boy your going to have a fight on your hands next year because Wigan will be back stronger than ever!!! Enjoy your win kid!!!"

That was my Grand Final and I have to say it was the best of the lot that we have won previously! I get shivers down my spine thinking off it now!

Thanks for reading!
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach1812No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 15 200420 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Jun 16 22:1313th Jun 16 03:32LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: My Grand Final. : Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:54 am  
Nice one. Enjoyed that.
I had to watch it on my iPad in Australia about a week later without knowing the score so it was quite the same feeling for me although it was an amazing feeling when making on took the ball

Honestly I was never confident because Wigan just didn't stop.
Amazing win for saints under the circumstances. I think I will watch in again today.
Rommel 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach5849
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 24 200420 years268th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th Apr 24 04:5925th Mar 24 12:12LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Ahh Tesco
Building St Helens & Warrington's future
Destroying Wigans past

"Viva Ben Flower, Viva Ben Flower, could have won the cup but you Messed it up Viva Ben Flower"

Re: My Grand Final. : Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:52 pm  
saintcj wrote:
Nice one. Enjoyed that.
I had to watch it on my iPad in Australia about a week later without knowing the score so it was quite the same feeling for me although it was an amazing feeling when making on took the ball

Honestly I was never confident because Wigan just didn't stop.
Amazing win for saints under the circumstances. I think I will watch in again today.

I've watched the final loads of times to the point i know what time to put in my Sky Plus for the best bits :DANCE: Sad but true :ROCKS:
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman32310
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 17 200222 years163rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Apr 24 09:4523rd Apr 24 17:57LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS

For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled.

For 27 - 0 you get a trophy
For 75 - 0 you get sod all.

Wigan had eight in a row
Saints have five in a row

Re: My Grand Final. : Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:53 pm  
Radlinski's thoughts. The rest of the blog is a good read for anyone with a general RL interest, albeit with an obvious Wigan slant.

"2015 Pre-season Part 1

10/12/2014 11:33:18

In order to know where you are going, its important to know where you have been.

A lot has happened since the end of the season. The Grand Final defeat against St.Helens was a very hard one to take. Often with losses, you have the opportunity to put things right the following week when you play again, but when the Grand Final is the last game of the season and you lose, the wound remains open a lot longer and often gets infected!!! We went into the Grand Final feeling very strong and playing some good Rugby League but then something happened which threw us off course. The sending off of Ben Flower in the opening minutes of the game reinforced that no matter how well prepared you are going into a game, you can't predict every eventuality. The sending off obviously affected us but it also raised St.Helens' belief. The game will be remembered for the incident which gave the sport unprecedented worldwide interest but I am a big believer in giving credit to the winning side. Saints had the spirit to believe that they could win and capped off a remarkable season with my old mate Paul Wellens lifting the Super League trophy. Well done to the Saints."

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WBlogp.aspx?id=13
Radlinski's thoughts. The rest of the blog is a good read for anyone with a general RL interest, albeit with an obvious Wigan slant.

"2015 Pre-season Part 1

In order to know where you are going, its important to know where you have been.

A lot has happened since the end of the season. The Grand Final defeat against St.Helens was a very hard one to take. Often with losses, you have the opportunity to put things right the following week when you play again, but when the Grand Final is the last game of the season and you lose, the wound remains open a lot longer and often gets infected!!! We went into the Grand Final feeling very strong and playing some good Rugby League but then something happened which threw us off course. The sending off of Ben Flower in the opening minutes of the game reinforced that no matter how well prepared you are going into a game, you can't predict every eventuality. The sending off obviously affected us but it also raised St.Helens' belief. The game will be remembered for the incident which gave the sport unprecedented worldwide interest but I am a big believer in giving credit to the winning side. Saints had the spirit to believe that they could win and capped off a remarkable season with my old mate Paul Wellens lifting the Super League trophy. Well done to the Saints."

RankPostsTeam
International Star3792
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 17 201113 years230th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Apr 24 13:084th Apr 24 07:48LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: My Grand Final. : Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:04 pm  
Rogues Gallery wrote:

"2015 Pre-season Part 1

You are actually taking the mickey now. I can't believe some of the blatant trolling and derailing that you get away with on here.

THIS IS A SAINTS FORUM. STOP PEDDLING YOUR SH!TE ON HERE.
Rogues Gallery wrote:

"2015 Pre-season Part 1

You are actually taking the mickey now. I can't believe some of the blatant trolling and derailing that you get away with on here.

RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 17 200222 years163rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled.

Wigan had eight in a row

Re: My Grand Final. : Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:45 pm  
The Yellow Giraffe wrote:

Grow up.
It's on topic as it's Radlinskis thought on the GF. The other part is incidental but had to be included as that was where it was quoted from.
RankPostsTeam
International Star3792
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 17 201113 years230th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: My Grand Final. : Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:49 pm  
Rogues Gallery wrote:
Grow up.
It's on topic as it's Radlinskis thought on the GF. The other part is incidental but had to be included as that was where it was quoted from.

Nobody on here is bothered about Radlinski's thoughts though, and you know this, but yet you choose to post it anyway. What's most laughable is then you have the audacity to tell me to grow up.

You are on old man getting his kicks from trying to wind up opposition fans on an internet forum. I feel sorry for you I really do.
RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 17 200222 years163rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Wigan had eight in a row

Re: My Grand Final. : Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:53 pm  
Nobody on here is bothered about Radlinski's thoughts though, and you know this, but yet you choose to post it anyway. What's most laughable is then you have the audacity to tell me to grow up.

You are on old man getting his kicks from trying to wind up opposition fans on an internet forum. I feel sorry for you I really do.

If that post winds anybody up I genuinely then I think THEY have the problem. And when did YOU decide what could be posted on where?

And I believe you were told to "grow up" on another thread by a saints fan, but then that's just banter isn't it?
RankPostsTeam
International Star3792
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 17 201113 years230th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: My Grand Final. : Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:09 pm  
Rogues Gallery wrote:
If that post winds anybody up I genuinely then I think THEY have the problem. And when did YOU decide what could be posted on where?

I don't decide. I am simply giving my opinion. An opinion that is shared by many on here.

You know exactly what you're doing. You know full well that nobody on this forum would be interested in Radlinski's comments. But you post it because you then get people like me having a pop and hey presto, you have the attention that you crave.

I know I'm playing right into your hands by even responding to you but it needs saying. You've been banned from one Saints site already for this exact same thing and there's only so much that the Mods on here will put up with before you disappear from here too.
RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 17 200222 years163rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Wigan had eight in a row

Re: My Grand Final. : Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:22 pm  
I don't decide. I am simply giving my opinion. An opinion that is shared by many on here.

You know exactly what you're doing. You know full well that nobody on this forum would be interested in Radlinski's comments. But you post it because you then get people like me having a pop and hey presto, you have the attention that you crave.

I know I'm playing right into your hands by even responding to you but it needs saying. You've been banned from one Saints site already for this exact same thing and there's only so much that the Mods on here will put up with before you disappear from here too.

And how do YOU know that?
There may well be some fans on here that will be be pleased with Rads comments, particularly about Paul Wellens, and as I said the post was on topic and relevant, something you should learn.

And when I got banned I took my ban and didn't resort to the childish option of re registering under another name.
Next