FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Time for McNamara to go.
RankPostsTeam
International Star1583No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 07 201311 years168th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
23rd Mar 24 16:261st Oct 23 15:37LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Time for McNamara to go. : Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:43 am  
Time for a change of England coach I think. We cannot go on saying we played well and nearly won a match. It has happened too often with McNamara. We need a winner not a perpetual loser in charge. He failed at the Bulls and has failed with England. How can the RFL think that the job can be done on a part time basis by a person living on the other side of the world. Even a successful coach would struggle in those circumstances. The Aussies will not even select players plying their trade over here never mind a coach doing it.
RankPostsTeam
International Star2015
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 15 201311 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
31st Jul 16 19:1624th Jul 16 11:02LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Hull kingston rovers.

Re: Time for McNamara to go. : Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:14 am  
Keiththered wrote:
Time for a change of England coach I think. We cannot go on saying we played well and nearly won a match. It has happened too often with McNamara. We need a winner not a perpetual loser in charge. He failed at the Bulls and has failed with England. How can the RFL think that the job can be done on a part time basis by a person living on the other side of the world. Even a successful coach would struggle in those circumstances. The Aussies will not even select players plying their trade over here never mind a coach doing it.

He has to be the worst coach in our sport,as you say failed wherever he has gone.I believe we have the best squad we have had,and the aussies are the weakest for years,yet they will qualify and we wont. Against the aussies we attacked them the 1st half,built up a 12-4 lead and then in the 2nd half the tactics changed till we got behind and we attacked them again and nearly snatched it. Today james graham was outstanding for the 1st 20 mins,then unbelieveably mcbanana takes him off till10 mins in the 2nd half,elliot whitehead who has been the outstanding 2nd row all season plays 10 mins,yet joel tomkins plays all 3 matches.Please lets get shut of the plank that is mcbanana,and not waste the ability in our side while we can.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2490
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 27 200717 years277th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Aug 22 21:1324th Aug 22 14:09LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Time for McNamara to go. : Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:43 pm  
Posted this on another thread & I stick by it:- Time to go? give it a rest! he is young the team is young the team is getting better & he is learning all the time. He has only just got the job started leave him to get it done & he can get us back to the top as we used to be. The only ones who want him gone are the people who where vocal against him from the start & can't except that he is coming good. We are now entering a phase where the coaching staff & players have come through from youngsters as full time profesionals let them get on with it & progress. None of the people mentioned are better than the current coach even if they wanted the job. For me he should be in place till at least the end of the 2017 world cup.
RankPostsTeam
International Star1583No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 07 201311 years168th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
23rd Mar 24 16:261st Oct 23 15:37LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Time for McNamara to go. : Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:25 pm  
Beverley red wrote:
Posted this on another thread & I stick by it:- Time to go? give it a rest! he is young the team is young the team is getting better & he is learning all the time. He has only just got the job started leave him to get it done & he can get us back to the top as we used to be. The only ones who want him gone are the people who where vocal against him from the start & can't except that he is coming good. We are now entering a phase where the coaching staff & players have come through from youngsters as full time profesionals let them get on with it & progress. None of the people mentioned are better than the current coach even if they wanted the job. For me he should be in place till at least the end of the 2017 world cup.

He may be learning but if he is, he is not putting it into practice. I was not anti McNamara when he was appointed. I was underwhelmed but prepared to give him a chance. How is he coming good? By beating Samoa? He says the team will learn from their experience of two narrow defeats. He said exactly the same thing after the narrow defeat against NZ in the World Cup. Apparently they did not learn. Having to play Ferres at hooker when Clark went off was a master stroke. We lost all our play the ball momentum. His selection strategy since being appointed has left many scratching their heads. The Chase/Sinfield half back pairing debacle springs to mind. This time round Joel Tomkins however good before he went to Union has not played at the same level since his return. Even Wigan fans who are prepared to be objective admit he should not have been selected. There have been other situations that have not worked but he had blindly persisted, probably not to do so would have resulted in him admitting he was wrong. To persevere with a coach who has never had any success, working on a part time basis and living during the rugby season at the other side of the world seems crazy and you are saying we should do it for another three years.
RankPostsTeam
International Star2015
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 15 201311 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Hull kingston rovers.

Re: Time for McNamara to go. : Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:03 pm  
Keiththered wrote:
He may be learning but if he is, he is not putting it into practice. I was not anti McNamara when he was appointed. I was underwhelmed but prepared to give him a chance. How is he coming good? By beating Samoa? He says the team will learn from their experience of two narrow defeats. He said exactly the same thing after the narrow defeat against NZ in the World Cup. Apparently they did not learn. Having to play Ferres at hooker when Clark went off was a master stroke. We lost all our play the ball momentum. His selection strategy since being appointed has left many scratching their heads. The Chase/Sinfield half back pairing debacle springs to mind. This time round Joel Tomkins however good before he went to Union has not played at the same level since his return. Even Wigan fans who are prepared to be objective admit he should not have been selected. There have been other situations that have not worked but he had blindly persisted, probably not to do so would have resulted in him admitting he was wrong. To persevere with a coach who has never had any success, working on a part time basis and living during the rugby season at the other side of the world seems crazy and you are saying we should do it for another three years.

My thoughts exactly,how can tomkins get in front of whitehead,the best 2nd row in s/l last year,in the dream team,so how can mcnamara pick tomkins for 3 matches and whitehead 10 mins,and why take graham off after 20 mins when he plays 80 mins every week. ?
Last edited by deslawson on Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RankPostsTeam
International Star2995No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 13 201212 years246th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Mar 24 05:0925th Mar 24 05:09LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Time for McNamara to go. : Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:09 pm  
ive never known Daryll Clark play a full 80 minutes so to not have another hooker on the bench was a mistake IMO. Clarks best coming on against tiring legs.
agree about Joel Tompkins too, no disrespect to him but Whitehead earned his chance.

who were the other half backs in the squad?
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach11923
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 15 200717 years163rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th Mar 24 12:3425th Feb 24 00:40LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters. This struggle may be a moral one; or it may be a physical one; or it may be both moral and physical; but it must be a struggle.

Frederick Douglas

Re: Time for McNamara to go. : Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:01 pm  
What did Whitehead do today other than give away a soft penalty that led to a try?

I agree that J. Tomkins shouldn't have been in the side, by the way.

Ferres to acting half was a poor tactical switch, but Josh didn't do enough to be included today, Smith should have gone there with O'Loughlin at first reciever.

I'm not a McNamara fan, but who would be better at the moment?

I understand when people say it should be a full time job but until the IRLF take the International game seriously, why would it be?
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8741
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 18 200519 years305th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Dec 23 15:5416th May 22 19:54LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Time for McNamara to go. : Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:22 pm  
A well thought out post there my learned (and feathered) colleague. Look at it another way, we were the width of a god damn post away from winning, just like last week. If Hall had painted his nails, we would have beaten the convicts. Fine margins... change the coach or hire a better manicurist?
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2490
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 27 200717 years277th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Aug 22 21:1324th Aug 22 14:09LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Time for McNamara to go. : Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:20 pm  
SirStan wrote:
A well thought out post there my learned (and feathered) colleague. Look at it another way, we were the width of a god damn post away from winning, just like last week. If Hall had painted his nails, we would have beaten the convicts. Fine margins... change the coach or hire a better manicurist?

Agree 100% all changing coach would do is bring in another unproven person who may or may not be better, who may or may not choose different players who may or may not gel or be any better than the current crop. We can all differ in our choice of selection for me I cant see why Joel Tomkins was in the squad let allone on the field? but I saw a vast improvement over previous tours & though disapointed with the results it was close & could have been so diferent but for the one video descision. As I have said they will get better lets get past the next world cup then sit down & study the outcome. For me we change things to often & dont give anyone a fair chance.
RankPostsTeam
International Star2015
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 15 201311 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Hull kingston rovers.

Re: Time for McNamara to go. : Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:12 pm  
Beverley red wrote:
Agree 100% all changing coach would do is bring in another unproven person who may or may not be better, who may or may not choose different players who may or may not gel or be any better than the current crop. We can all differ in our choice of selection for me I cant see why Joel Tomkins was in the squad let allone on the field? but I saw a vast improvement over previous tours & though disapointed with the results it was close & could have been so diferent but for the one video descision. As I have said they will get better lets get past the next world cup then sit down & study the outcome. For me we change things to often & dont give anyone a fair chance.

The reason joel tomkins was playing was because the coach chose him instead of elliot whitehead,who most people thought he was the best 2nd row in s/l, mcnamara didnt.Have you also forgotten that because mcnamara has issues with danny brough,which is why brough went to play for scotland,when he was man of steel and should be playing for us. The point I feel you are missing is that we have the best squad in the competition and have failed to qualify,12-4 up v the aussies by attacking them,so in the 2nd half we change tactics till we get behind,and had that dodgy "try" disallowed.If we attack them we win and the aussies would have been out.
Three years at bradford who had never been out of the top6 till he went there,finished 10th all 3 years and finished with a flourish 13 sucessive losses,gets the sack from bradford and gets the england job,seems about right.The only saving grace is he was close to taking the head coach job with us,so lets be grateful for small mercies.
Next