JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20 200321 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
31st Dec 18 07:4631st Dec 18 07:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
I have only been wrong once and thats because I thought I was wrong but I was wrong I was right!

Petty authoritarians aren’t man enough to challenge the actions of a person face to face; instead they incite a forum of rumour, innuendo and half truths, and impose rude sanctions to discourage those who dare question fairness.

Anon.

Re: A Quick Hello : Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:24 pm  
TheClubsVoice wrote:
The agreement with Cas lasts until the end of the year but it can be terminated with 1 months notice from either party at any time. However, the point of this particular question appears to be more aggressive than that - certainly with the use of the word "severed". There have been a number of comments to me that the dual registration agreement between us and Cas is not something we'd want as a club and it renders us to a status of feeder club to Cas.

I can't speak for Obeone but it is quite clear that there are powerful movers within RL (Gary Heatherington for one) who have stated for several years that the lower divisions should be feeder teams to SL (as per the nirvana that is Australia). Whilst the current agreements between clubs are not yet quite at that stage, it's what might happen next that worries many within the game.

The agreement with Cas is clearly nothing of the sort and it would have been very silly not to take up Cas's offer

That is only your opinion - many would disagree.

..... once the Under 23 competition had been abandoned this season. As an aside, our club was committed to the Under 23 competition and stated that it wished for this competition to run indefinitely and for the Cougars to always be a part of it. I certainly feel that the loss of the Under 23 competition has weakened the game as it was a strategic part of the game. In any event, Super League teams had nowhere for their first teamers to get game time so the obvious route was partnerships with Championship clubs.

NO! The obvious route was not to do it at all.

It has the potential to significantly reduce the amount of young players in RL, shreds the progression path for homegrown hopefuls, and was soley devised as a means of saving SL clubs money. That it might help lower division clubs was a smoke screen made of mustard gas. It undermines the spirit of our competition

Would any of our fans complained if Rangi Chase appeared on our side for a game or two?!).

Yes, quite a lot would complain. In my opinion it goes against the spirit of the competition, in the same way as Hunslet suddenly fielding Richard Moore, Rob Burrow etc in a critical game against us would be. I would sooner see Young Ben Stead.

Finally, and most importantly, people do seem to be hung up about this agreement which is tantamount to a loan deal only. And, interestingly, we have loaned players in the last 2 seasons without anyone raising any concerns. George Elliott and Jake Normington from the Rhinos (and Jake was a key player in our win over Workington so where would we have been without him?). And James Davey from Wakefield last year. Further, we have loaned Elliott Cosgrove from Dewsbury Rams this year and he contributed very well ...

As I understand it that is not strictly true - unless the rules have changed recently. There is a significant advantage to entering into a partnership rather than a straight forward loan deal. Some would say that this was the bait on the hook.

Partnerships like the Cas partnership are nothing new and do not betray the fabric and essence of what makes Keighley Cougars the club it is.

I beg to differ, they are new and they ruin the integrity of our game - just look at whats happening at Swinton.

The critical issue in all of this is that we stay in the Championship this season
Agreed, but clubs have become fearful and seem prepared to sell the future for short term gain.
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner2236No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20 200321 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
31st Dec 18 07:4631st Dec 18 07:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
I have only been wrong once and thats because I thought I was wrong but I was wrong I was right!

Petty authoritarians aren’t man enough to challenge the actions of a person face to face; instead they incite a forum of rumour, innuendo and half truths, and impose rude sanctions to discourage those who dare question fairness.

Anon.

Re: A Quick Hello : Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:41 pm  
TheClubsVoice wrote:
Our stated ambition is to achieve SL status by 2018, not 2015. We are working on the new stadium process at the moment but it is early days. I would say to achieve an entirely new stadium is a 20% likelihood but a much higher degree of likelihood is that development will be underway with completion of the first 2 or 3 stages of the development having been achieved prior to entry into Super League, e.g. new stand and new gym at the Hard Ings end of the stadium and a proper seated area and media centre on the TV gantry side.

When the new board took over the Chairman said, at a speech in the HOF bar, our ambition was SL by 2015. Now, it may have been a slip of the tongue or one pint too many but I clearly remember it being said because I, and those around me, were gobsmacked to say the least.

As for the "clubs stated ambitions" what are they and where can we see them? The website has not been the best over the last few years.

I want to make it clear that I am not "having a go at you" or anyone else at the club, just expressing an opinion.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach523No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 27 200419 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Nov 16 21:5817th Nov 16 21:58LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: A Quick Hello : Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:49 pm  
TheClubsVoice wrote:
We are moving forward on a range of fronts to gradually raise the crowd to sufficient levels. For example, offline we need to win more games (which is gradually coming together), we have had our first go at distributing 20,000 free junior season tickets and we have learnt some interesting things from this so we will be better at it next season where we will be distributing 40,000. Further, we have built good relationships with a range of schools and this will bear fruit in the coming years. We have finally got some budget to promote now and again so you will see adverts in the KN and T&A raising the profile of the club and fixture lists were distributed in the KN a few weeks ago. We will do a season ticket offer prior to Christmas this year in much the same vein as Christmas 2011 and we are in conversation with Keighley Town Council to try to get signs on the Keighley boundary signs which state "Welcome to Keighley. The home of Keighley Cougars." and similarly, we intend to have a conversation with Bradford Council to have brown signs indicating where the ground is. Online our Twitter following has passed 2,200 and is increasing at a rate of 150 per month, our Facebook has over 700 Likes and our new website (to be implemented very soon) will be kept up to date in a way that makes it very attractive for people to come and visit it. We have also just signed up for Welcome to Yorkshire which will help promote the club online and offline. Bear in mind, this list is a tiny part of the things we are doing and we are doing it in a sustainable way that does not de-stabilise the club financially unlike various attempts in the past.

We have the club financially stable. As the seasons progress we will gradually strengthen the team in much the same way as Featherstone have. The race to Super League and staying in Super League is a marathon, not a sprint. The club will continue developing its young players and it hopes for a powerful partnership between the club and Craven College whereby the young academy players end up almost being developed full time and provide coaching services back to our children in the community to further develop rugby league in the area.

It sounds like the directors are doing plenty of good work behind the scenes. It would seem to be a big task though with only 3 directors, very few employed staff and apparently very few volunteers mobilsed just at present.

Financial stability is good if the club can gradually increase its level of expenditure whilst still breaking even.

But getting the crowds up is a bit of a chicken and egg thing. What comes first? The crowds and then the money and then the quality players? Or money first? It's right to put in place a sustainable business model - but those putting themselves forward as rugby league club directors have also traditionally put their hands in their pockets to finance one or two top signings to really fire up the other good work that lays a firm foundation.

In Keighley's case, periods of success and fervour have been kick-started by a signing of a high profile player that's fired up people's support and team performances:-

Ted Spillane (NZ) in the 1930's (leading to Keighley getting to Wembley)
Mick Clark (GB-from Leeds) in the 1960's
Trevor Skerrett (GB-from Hull) in the 1980's
Joe Grima (NZ-from Widnes) in the 1990's.

What is the chance of the directors making a one-off personal financial commitment to sign that calibre of player today to leverage up on all the other good work and kick-start the road to Super League in 2018 in a big way?
RankPostsTeam
International Star504
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 25 201311 years300th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th Jan 23 16:575th Oct 22 09:39LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Head of Media & Administration - Keighley Cougars

Twitter: @JRCSport

Re: A Quick Hello : Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:58 pm  
Dreamer wrote:
Now, it As for the "clubs stated ambitions" what are they and where can we see them? The website has not been the best over the last few years.

The new club website should be up and running at some point this week I'm lead to understand. The clubs ambition and any information in regards to Super League will most possibly be on the page dedicated to a new stadium/upgrade of Cougar Park.
obeone 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach846No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 03 200816 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
6th Oct 16 16:4129th Sep 16 18:23LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: A Quick Hello : Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:54 pm  
If I came across aggressive I apologise but the link up with Cas just twangs me.As I've said before on here I don't want to see Chase etc at CP,£uper League does not interest me.By the way,if Rangi Chase was in the team which poor soul would be the water carrier?

The lads who pull on a Keighley shirt will give total commitment ,but the Cas players will not as they are just here to get back to match fitness or need game time etc.

For the last two seasons I held a season ticket,but this time round I have not stepped foot into CP,and will not until we are an independent club again,and I might also add its not just me who has stopped going to CP for the reasons I have put.
obeone 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach846No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 03 200816 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
6th Oct 16 16:4129th Sep 16 18:23LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: A Quick Hello : Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:08 pm  
Just to highlight this sad situation ,Lee Briers will play for Swinton in their next game .

Oh dear,what is happening to the game ?
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2855No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 14 200915 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd Oct 17 14:563rd Oct 17 14:56LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend. -Albert Camus

Re: A Quick Hello : Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:09 pm  
In the hypothetical instance that a quarter of the free season ticket holders decide to show up for a game next season what procedures does the club:

1. Have in place to ensure that those who have paid for tickets in advance ie Season Ticket holders, don't get turned away from the ground when it's full.

2. Have to ensure that there is a satisfactory ratio of safety staff in relation to customers so that if an incident occurs we don't have another Hillsborough on our hands?

As an aside is there anything in the Rugby League Rulebook that forbids clubs from producing more tickets for a game than a grounds capacity? The reason I ask is Elgin City in Scottish Football were hit with a huge fine for over selling tickets for a game against Glasgow Rangers.

What is the club's strategy as regards retaining young fans when they make the transition into adulthood? In my opinion this is a far bigger threat to the clubs long term future than not having enough kids going.
In the hypothetical instance that a quarter of the free season ticket holders decide to show up for a game next season what procedures does the club:

1. Have in place to ensure that those who have paid for tickets in advance ie Season Ticket holders, don't get turned away from the ground when it's full.

2. Have to ensure that there is a satisfactory ratio of safety staff in relation to customers so that if an incident occurs we don't have another Hillsborough on our hands?

As an aside is there anything in the Rugby League Rulebook that forbids clubs from producing more tickets for a game than a grounds capacity? The reason I ask is Elgin City in Scottish Football were hit with a huge fine for over selling tickets for a game against Glasgow Rangers.

What is the club's strategy as regards retaining young fans when they make the transition into adulthood? In my opinion this is a far bigger threat to the clubs long term future than not having enough kids going.
Last edited by Stealth Comic on Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RankPostsTeam
International Star778No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 08 201311 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Jan 19 06:2929th Jan 19 06:29LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Soon be Monday.

Re: A Quick Hello : Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:30 pm  
Have you got a message for the stay away supporters and can you explain the harm this is doing to the club?

Are the club struggling to pay the bills at the present time?
RankPostsTeam
International Star695No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 14 201113 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
8th Mar 15 20:1315th Feb 15 13:28LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: A Quick Hello : Wed May 01, 2013 9:57 am  
Look at Cougarmania version 1 (I'm sure had it's downsides, but I'll use it as a referral point here). The directors went to press with their plans and backed it up with something tangible the fans could relate to and bought into the process. Examples being, the signing of Grima, development of the ground, albeit that function area was put in the wrong place. They followed Grima with a host of signings thereafter. It was done with a purpose and in line with the plan. A new coach then arrived (Larder) making RL sit up and take note. Then followed big name signings and the rest is history.

I'm not saying that model should be followed as the game has moved on since then, but other than saying we aim for SL in 2015 or 2018 what else is there? What is the plan? Do you have one?

Without wanting to be disrespectful to the current directors, i think the SL dream is seen by many as a bit of a joke. What is being done to support this plan and make supporters believe and buy into the journey?

We've lost several big names I assume to cut costs. The model has been cut to it's lowest possible point, what now.

I just think the club has to work on it's PR because at the moment, without wanting to be cynical, the mention of a new stadium, players added over a period of time is just words and I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm sure I remember our Chairman mentioning SL in 2015 and running round naked if that wasn't achieved? Did I dream that?
RankPostsTeam
International Star24
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 25 201311 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
23rd Oct 13 13:0223rd Oct 13 13:02LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: A Quick Hello : Wed May 01, 2013 7:30 pm  
Had these sent to me over e-mail from Gary. Unfortunately, I can't quote due to me being on a mobile phone. So, I've labeled them by topic.

MATCHDAY EXPERIENCE:
The match day experience is a very interesting topic and people will have different views. For one thing I visit all the Championship clubs for our away games and, in general, none of them have a match day experience as good as the Cougars....and some Super League match day experiences are little better.

However, having said this it is our desire to entertain but never forgetting that the centrepiece of the match day is the first team performance against the opposition. Around this centrepiece we are currently delivering the following each match day:

- in the Hall of Fame bar and Executive Suitea DVD of a previous game against the opposition of the day or, failing that, sport on the TVs or, failing that, music
- music from around 215pm in the stadium (the non-working speakers are due to be fixed before the next match)
- pre-match speech and excellent food in the Executive Suite
- an outside organisation at the Royd Ings Avenue end showcasing something, E.g. The fire brigade at the last match and Airedale Hospital at the match before
- Freddie there all the time. Freddie has been ever present all the way through March and April and will be through the season. He has instructions to be at the Royd Ings Avenue end from 220pm until 250pm whereupon he waves and performs in front of the main stand until the end of the match
- Half Time draw
- Music per player every time they score
- Post match speeches and post match raffle
- a pre-match and half time singer whenever one's available (the young lady for the Warrington match was superb)
- sponsor events such as Colin Appleyards cars at the Warrington match
- burger van and ice cream van (when the weather's better) plus the Project 6 cafe and Freddie's grill

Last year and the year before we delivered Piccolo's nursery for kids to be looked after pre-match. This was delivered FREE by Piccolo's which was incredibly kind of Lisa and Pete and at no small cost to them. It has been withdrawn this season because there was little or no feedback as to whether this service was good or wanted. Although positive comments have been made since it was withdrawn.

On top of this what we would like to deliver is:

- Cross bar Challenge
- Cheerleaders (we are looking for someone to lead this initiative and create a great cheerleading troop for the Cougars - can anyone help us with this?)
- an entertainment event before the match and at half time - e.g. Zumba or similar group dance, singer, acrobats, etc
- a warm up match or a warm down match to extend the day from either a local amateur side or our reserves (changing room logistics is the only thing that makes this difficult)
- speakers piped to each entrance so that the music can be heard as people approach the ground

I think this would fill the day once implement but if there are any other suggestions we are happy to consider them.

CLUB SHOP:
At the moment the club shop is open on match days between 130pm and 3pm. At all other times you can contact the club via phone or email and organise to come down to try on or purchase items when convenient for both parties. We are carrying some stock but probably 50% of the items will be to order with a maximum 2 week turnaround. Further, anyone can order replica tops from the online shop and directly call/email the club if they desire to order some merchandise for pick up or delivery.

Going forward we are close to agreeing a deal on 29 Brunswick arcade so we should be back there soon with a date TBA. However, to keep costs down we do need this staffing with club volunteers so if anyone is interested in helping out please contact the club. Further going forward the new online shop on the new website will have more product to purchase.
PreviousNext