FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Is There An Alternative To The Current Economic Order?
::Off-topic discussion.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member1437No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
22nd Apr 17 17:1423rd Mar 17 22:59LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"If the American people knew tonight, exactly how the monetary and banking system worked, there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning."
-Abraham Lincoln

MIND-BLOWN!

Brand talks to David Graeber who wrote one of the best books I've ever read. They discuss the ponzi-scheme that is the current global economic system and explain how the debt based money system is controlled by the banks. They also talk about the inevitable debt cancellation that will have to come and giving everybody an individual basic income. Wish I could have been involved in this conversation.

https://soundcloud.com/thehuffingtonpos ... st-week-01

So Brand and Graeber - in your opinion are they just spouting nonsense or offering real alternatives like I believe?
MIND-BLOWN!

Brand talks to David Graeber who wrote one of the best books I've ever read. They discuss the ponzi-scheme that is the current global economic system and explain how the debt based money system is controlled by the banks. They also talk about the inevitable debt cancellation that will have to come and giving everybody an individual basic income. Wish I could have been involved in this conversation.

So Brand and Graeber - in your opinion are they just spouting nonsense or offering real alternatives like I believe?
RankPostsTeam
International Star3605No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 09 201212 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
20th May 16 14:5420th May 16 10:16LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Someday everything is gonna be different, when I paint my masterpiece
----------------------------------------------------------
Online art gallery, selling original landscape artwork
JerryChicken - The Blog

"debt based money system is controlled by the banks"

Not controlling it very well though are they ?
Dally 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14845No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
23rd Oct 21 15:0122nd Jul 21 09:42LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

LeighGionaire wrote:
MIND-BLOWN!

Of course there are other economic systems, indeed in extremis there is only one sustainable one: hunter- gathering. I am not sure that there is any that would support the current human population as well though. It will all end in tears however.
LeighGionaire wrote:
MIND-BLOWN!

Of course there are other economic systems, indeed in extremis there is only one sustainable one: hunter- gathering. I am not sure that there is any that would support the current human population as well though. It will all end in tears however.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member1437No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
22nd Apr 17 17:1423rd Mar 17 22:59LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"If the American people knew tonight, exactly how the monetary and banking system worked, there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning."
-Abraham Lincoln

Instead of writing off everybody's debts as the link suggests (which would punish people who tried to be prudent) I'd give everybody in the country say £25,000 which must be used to write off existing debts or if you are fortunate not to have that much debt you get to keep the extra, so anybody with no debt gets £25,000 for free.

I'd also nationalise the banking system and only loan out most new credit for things that actually produce something like new houses or new machinery. For mortgages I'd only allow 2 X yearly salary for the loan ammount or 3 X Joint salary for couples. I'd also create the interest money needed to pay back the debts and spend it into the economy.

I'd also throw in a law that bans anybody from owning more than two houses. Obviously this would crash the price of houses and send a lot of people into negative equity. If that is the case I'd allow them to hand back the property if they want with no debts attached or freeze interest payments on the mortgage if they want to continue living in it.
Him 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 19 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Nov 21 22:467th Nov 21 09:30LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

In answer to the title question. Yes.

An economy based upon free market lines but with much stricter regulations, employment laws and company taxation in order to incentivise companies to act in the manner we wish them to.

If we don't want unnecessary amounts of people employed in zero hours contracts (or any other employment issue) then give tax breaks to those who treat their employees well and whack up taxes on those who don't.
For instance John Lewis etc would get tax relief whilst Amazon etc would be taxed to the hilt.

We use certain types of both personal and business taxes to incentivise or disincentivise certain types of spending or investment behaviour so why not for issues such as employment or corporate social responsibility.

As mentioned, housing is a major issue and often a big cause for poverty. The prices are simply far too high caused in part by increased lending, too many buy to let and not enough housing built. As suggested, bring in much stricter regulations on house ownership and mortgages along with properly funded council housing. On top of that strict controls on the rental market, not only are house prices too high but rentals are far too high too. Not helped by the student rental market.

I would also say there needs to be much, much more transparency and responsibility from private companies. Including much more transparency about their ownership, their finance & taxation, their employment practices, political & charitable donations and sourcing of products/materials. I'd be half tempted to make them liable to Freedom of Information requests for certain things like public bodies. Though that would need looking into.

I would also steadily reduce "other taxes" such as VAT, certain duties etc and put more on income tax to get a fairer tax system and hopefully a better redistribution of wealth.

If we can get:
- more stable, better & better paid employment
- far lower house prices and rentals (alongside proper mortgages)
- & proper corporate taxation and responsibility
Then the economy would be far more efficient and far fairer than it currently is in my opinion.

There are other, more political, issues such as regional representation that I think are vital too but they're not directly economy related.
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman37704No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 25 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
7th Aug 18 19:077th Aug 18 19:06LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
The older I get, the better I was

Advice is what we seek when we already know the answer - but wish we didn't

I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full-frontal lobotomy
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
kirkstaller wrote: "All DNA shows is that we have a common creator."

cod'ead wrote: "I have just snotted weissbier all over my keyboard & screen"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"No amount of cajolery, and no attempts at ethical or social seduction, can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred for the Tory Party. So far as I am concerned they are lower than vermin." - Aneurin Bevan

Forget income tax or corporation taxes.

Introduce Land Value Taxation and you could basically scrap all other taxes, relying instead on excise duties to (dis)incentivise.

Unlike people, land does not have a habit of offshoring, it tends to stay where it is
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member18060No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 27 200222 years303rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th Jun 23 20:4411th Jun 23 20:53LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.

cod'ead wrote:
Forget income tax or corporation taxes.

Introduce Land Value Taxation and you could basically scrap all other taxes, relying instead on excise duties to (dis)incentivise.

Unlike people, land does not have a habit of offshoring, it tends to stay where it is

Not again - this is the most bonkers idea you have ever come up with and you have come up with a few.

Where in the entire world does this system exist and thrive - it doesn't, why is that because it does doesn't make any sense on any intelligent level.
RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 25 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

"No amount of cajolery, and no attempts at ethical or social seduction, can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred for the Tory Party. So far as I am concerned they are lower than vermin." - Aneurin Bevan

Sal Paradise wrote:
Not again - this is the most bonkers idea you have ever come up with and you have come up with a few.

The sole reason it has not been adopted is that those who stand to contribute most are the weathiest. Those individuals and corporations who already avoid paying their fair share of taxation by various avoidance techniques.

They simply wouldn't allow their political puppets to introduce such a progressive system

Sal Paradise wrote:
Where in the entire world does this system exist and thrive - it doesn't, why is that because it does doesn't make any sense on any intelligent level.

Various places
Sal Paradise wrote:

The sole reason it has not been adopted is that those who stand to contribute most are the weathiest. Those individuals and corporations who already avoid paying their fair share of taxation by various avoidance techniques.

They simply wouldn't allow their political puppets to introduce such a progressive system

Sal Paradise wrote:

Various places
Dally 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14845No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
23rd Oct 21 15:0122nd Jul 21 09:42LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

As to land tax, how are /should be values assessed? I am not au fait with the theory behind it,
RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 25 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Dally wrote:
As to land tax, how are /should be values assessed? I am not au fait with the theory behind it,

Usually it is according to the maximum developed potential of the land. So the value of a hectare of heathland or forest would be less than a hectare in London. The level of infrastructure is also taken into account: why should a taxpayer in Inverness be paying for Crossrail?
Next