FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - The elephant in the room.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member9721
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th Aug 20 07:4927th Apr 20 15:56LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
regards
and ENJOY your sport

Leaguefan

"The Public wants what the Public gets" - Paul Weller

The elephant in the room. : Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:30 pm  
This is the truth.
If the players and coaches and the coaching had been good enough, all this claptrap about, rules, invalid players,clutching at straws etc would not have been necessary.
They were not good enough and the coaching not good enough.
That is the reason why the club has been relegated.
Anything else is irrelevant
RankPostsTeam
International Star778No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 08 201311 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Jan 19 06:2929th Jan 19 06:29LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Soon be Monday.

Re: The elephant in the room. : Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:42 pm  
Not really as you CAN NOT have any teams breaking rules and getting no punnishment.

We had enough points to stay up in MY opinion as Batley won when they had no chance without the Huddersfield player.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach1030No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 16 200420 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
13th Mar 18 00:3928th Feb 18 21:13LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: The elephant in the room. : Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:48 pm  
I believe that you are missing the point Leaguefan.

Rules were broken and, not only do the Cougar supporters believe that we have been wronged again by the RFL but, looking at the 'Petition' so do many other supporters of the game, not only in Keighley but throughout the country and the world.

Do I understand what you are saying?

Anything else is irrelevant?

This is the truth. If the players and coaches and the coaching had been good enough, all this claptrap about, rules, invalid players, clutching at straws etc would not have been necessary. They were not good enough and the coaching not good enough. That is the reason why the club has been relegated. Anything else is irrelevant

from your comments would I be correct in assuming that you are quite happy for 'Rules' that are obeyed by the majority of Clubs can be broken by a few who should not then be punished for so-doing?
KRLFC 
RankPostsTeam
International Star270No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 27 201212 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
9th Aug 19 17:3215th Apr 19 15:46LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Is a dream a lie if it don't come true. Or is it something worse?

Re: The elephant in the room. : Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:52 pm  
Last year we just missed being relegated, this year we've got it although there is some hope that we can get out of it but in reality it really is not good enough. Last year at this time our chairman was talking about building a team that would be knocking on the door of Super Duper League next season. I think the squad is good enough to be competing in the top four but something has gone horribly wrong!

Edit: I don't think Leaguefan is missing any point, I think his point is very valid!
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach139No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 19 200915 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th Mar 17 14:3228th Feb 17 15:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
It is sometimes better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak up and remove all doubt !

Re: The elephant in the room. : Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:22 pm  
2013. won 8. Lost 18. pts/f 492. pts/a 719 -227 Pts 33

2014. won 12. Lost 14. pts/f 587. pts/a 601 -14 Pts 44

We have actually improved and been relegated, the issue is rules broken and going unpunished, I will continue to support the team whatever division we play in, that is for others to decide.
st 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach221
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 11 200816 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 23 18:0328th Mar 23 18:03LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: The elephant in the room. : Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:27 pm  
Leaguefan wrote:
This is the truth.
If the players and coaches and the coaching had been good enough, all this claptrap about, rules, invalid players,clutching at straws etc would not have been necessary.
They were not good enough and the coaching not good enough.
That is the reason why the club has been relegated.
Anything else is irrelevant

I agree fully

We came in a relegation spot after all

The batley thing isnt irrelevant though as if the deduction had of been upheld we would have stayed up because of that meaning if that hadn't of happened we still probably would have been relegated - I say probably because batleys illegal player did score a vital try in a winning game - Also once batley got a real boost confidence wise after they got the points back

But yes in plain black and white they should have done better Batley thing aside
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach916No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 01 200519 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
2nd Jul 18 06:442nd Jul 18 06:43LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Devon Branch Of The Keighley Cougars Supporters Association

Re: The elephant in the room. : Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:04 pm  
This is the truth...

Batley fielded an illegible player in one of their matches this season, a player who went on to score a vital try in a game they won, if that player wasn't playing that day it wouldn't have mattered but he did, therefore Batley broke the rules by which our great game is governed. Rules are everywhere, I have rules at work that if I turn up late for work three times I get a disciplinary, if I overstay on my car parking ticket I get a fine and if I run on the pitch after the challenge cup final I'll get thrown out or arrested.

Therefore if I break rules and have to face consequences, why shouldn't Batley? Apart from a reason of not punishing clubs from a previous season,which isn't a justifiable reason at all, as that tells any club they can play an illegible player and they wont be punished.

Therefore Batley should have their proper punishment reinstated and Keighley should stay up. I now live in Devon and get to one cougar match every couple of years, so cant comment on the efforts of the coaches and the players this season, yes I am sure they could have done better this season but had the original ruling against Batley stood and we were now facing play off rugby I am sure you wouldn't be sat on your bums slating the team.

So for gods sake, why dont all Keighley fans pull together in one direction and realise that rules were broken and should be punished instead of looking to criticise the player, coaches and whoever else. I for one have signed the petition and hope common sense prevails in two ways.

i) The RFL see the error of their ways
ii) Cougar SUPPORTERS actually support the cougars and not seemingly back the RFL!!
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach139No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 19 200915 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th Mar 17 14:3228th Feb 17 15:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
It is sometimes better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak up and remove all doubt !

Re: The elephant in the room. : Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:18 pm  
jeronimo wrote:
This is the truth...

Batley fielded an illegible player in one of their matches this season, a player who went on to score a vital try in a game they won, if that player wasn't playing that day it wouldn't have mattered but he did, therefore Batley broke the rules by which our great game is governed. Rules are everywhere, I have rules at work that if I turn up late for work three times I get a disciplinary, if I overstay on my car parking ticket I get a fine and if I run on the pitch after the challenge cup final I'll get thrown out or arrested.

Therefore if I break rules and have to face consequences, why shouldn't Batley? Apart from a reason of not punishing clubs from a previous season,which isn't a justifiable reason at all, as that tells any club they can play an illegible player and they wont be punished.

Therefore Batley should have their proper punishment reinstated and Keighley should stay up. I now live in Devon and get to one cougar match every couple of years, so cant comment on the efforts of the coaches and the players this season, yes I am sure they could have done better this season but had the original ruling against Batley stood and we were now facing play off rugby I am sure you wouldn't be sat on your bums slating the team.

So for gods sake, why dont all Keighley fans pull together in one direction and realise that rules were broken and should be punished instead of looking to criticise the player, coaches and whoever else. I for one have signed the petition and hope common sense prevails in two ways.

i) The RFL see the error of their ways
ii) Cougar SUPPORTERS actually support the cougars and not seemingly back the RFL!!

Hear Hear, well said.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach1030No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 16 200420 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
13th Mar 18 00:3928th Feb 18 21:13LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: The elephant in the room. : Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:53 pm  
Well said 'Jeronimo'.

Both myself and my wife have followed Keighley and the Cougars since 1962 and along with our bred Cougar children, since the late 80's both at 'home' and 'away' games.

We could never understand why, after being rejected from membership of Super League, that so many 'Bulls' shirts started appearing in Morrisons! Just like Manchester United we imagined.

That apart, we now live on the south coast but always listen to commentary (albeit little) on Radio Leeds as well as receiving regular text updates from our friends who attend the games (which beats any other coverage that you can obtain). Apologies to @chappelar as he has been unable to provide the 'match blog' on a regular basis this Season for 'technical reasons'.

No matter whatever happens we are Keighley Cougars through and through, despite now living on the south coast, south of the M25 and west of Clacton.

I couldn't believe that it had happened again!

'Deja-vu' or 'Groundhog Day'.

Why does it always happen to us?
RankPostsTeam
International Star462No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 18 201113 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st Apr 19 10:1713th Nov 18 11:12LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
We are from Keighley. We are NOT Bradfordians.

Re: The elephant in the room. : Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:54 pm  
I think we would all agree that we shouldn't have been in the relegation mire these past few weeks; we should have made ourselves safe on the pitch weeks ago. I'm sure the players would agree.
BUT... if the situation remains as it is we will have Batley, the rule-breakers, going unpunished and reaping the benefits of remaining in the Championship next season with everything that will bring - notably a lot more money which they can use to progress further as a club. They are also set to compete in the play-offs which will generate still more much-needed income.
Then you have Keighley, the totally innocent party who have played within the rules all season, effectively punished by being relegated to Championship 1 where the revenue prospects are much, much worse. We could be set back years. We will be playing some away matches in front of about 200 people and at some home games there will be no visiting supporters at all. How on earth can this be deemed fair? Batley break the rules, yet Keighley are expected to bend over and take the punishment. This scenario offends any sense of fair play.
In addition to that, compare the treatment meted out to our own Paul March this season. For an alleged breach of rules (which was denied and apparently not proven to any great standard of proof, in contrast to Batley's and Donny's breach which is fully accepted), Marchy was absolutely hammered by the RFL with a draconian, unprecedented 8-week stadium ban. So they hammer Marchy and Keighley but in respect of Batley and Donny - nothing. Nothing whatsoever. Any fair-minded observer can see that this is just not right.
The RFL are doing the dirty on us yet again. Not fit to run a bath.
Next