FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

Current LIVE TV Match : Hull Kingston Rovers 34 - 10 Hull FC LIVE ON SKY SPORTS Full Time.
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Wigan Rotary
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7372
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 28 200816 years283rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Mar 24 21:454th Mar 24 19:38LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Soon we will be dancing the Fandango

FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB'S DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESS THEN I DONT KNOW WHAT IS.
JAMIE PEACOCK

Wigan Rotary : Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:44 pm  
I see Wigan Rotary are getting involved in the efforts to fund a statue for Billy Boston and having a collection at tomorrow's match.I wonder if A similar effort by the local Rotary at Headingley for a statue for John Holmes because the one proposed by the club looks like it's going to take an awful long time before that comes to fruition
RankPostsTeam
International Star1735No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 09 201113 years193rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Mar 24 08:1729th Mar 24 13:25LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wigan Rotary : Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:57 pm  
Good idea from the Wigan rotary. As a youngster I was fortunate to watch Boston at the latter end of his career . What a tremendous player he was. Coupled with fact he has stayed with the Wigan club and the area since his retirement .
Obviously I saw a fair amount of John Holmes career but missed a few games as I was playing rugby at that time. It was a shame John died so young ,he was such a modest lad and a tremendous footballer .
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4934
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 09 200816 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
5th Oct 22 18:0330th Dec 20 01:26LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Don't worry about avoiding temptation.
As you grow older, it will avoid you!
- Winston Churchill

Re: Wigan Rotary : Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:40 pm  
Backwoodsman wrote:
Good idea from the Wigan rotary. As a youngster I was fortunate to watch Boston at the latter end of his career . What a tremendous player he was. Coupled with fact he has stayed with the Wigan club and the area since his retirement .
Obviously I saw a fair amount of John Holmes career but missed a few games as I was playing rugby at that time. It was a shame John died so young ,he was such a modest lad and a tremendous footballer .

I do agree. Billy Boston was a tremendous winger and part of a great Wigan side. I recall a 5-5 draw in the Cup at Headingley sometime around late 1959/60 when Farmer Jack Fairbank knocked Boston into the paddock with a shoulder charge (was allowed in those days) I went to the replay on the Wednesday at Central Park and we got stuffed with Eric Ashton, McTigue & co having a fine games.

John Holmes was certainly one of the very best players to have played for Leeds in my experience.

PS:
Billy Boston & Lewis Jones will both attend the match on Friday hand over the match ball to the officials. Nice to see them both looking so well in this photo http://www.therhinos.co.uk/news/23739.php#.VAXzd8VSiAg
Backwoodsman wrote:

I do agree. Billy Boston was a tremendous winger and part of a great Wigan side. I recall a 5-5 draw in the Cup at Headingley sometime around late 1959/60 when Farmer Jack Fairbank knocked Boston into the paddock with a shoulder charge (was allowed in those days) I went to the replay on the Wednesday at Central Park and we got stuffed with Eric Ashton, McTigue & co having a fine games.

John Holmes was certainly one of the very best players to have played for Leeds in my experience.

PS:
Billy Boston & Lewis Jones will both attend the match on Friday hand over the match ball to the officials. Nice to see them both looking so well in this photo http://www.therhinos.co.uk/news/23739.php#.VAXzd8VSiAg
RankPostsTeam
Moderator9062
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 15 200618 years135th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 14:3328th Mar 24 14:28LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
BELIEVE. BELIEF. BEYOND.

IT AIN'T WHERE YOUR FROM, ITS WHERE YOUR AT.

SWMC Coach's very own timekeeping aficionado & expert stair inspector.

Re: Wigan Rotary : Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:49 pm  
What a fantastic idea by the Wigan rotary. I'll be glad to bob a few quid into such a collection.

Can't see why we couldn't do the same either, although I still think the john Holmes stand would be a befitting commemoration of one of our greatest heroes.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7372
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 28 200816 years283rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB'S DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESS THEN I DONT KNOW WHAT IS.
JAMIE PEACOCK

Re: Wigan Rotary : Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:57 pm  
Juan Cornetto wrote:

PS:

I was at the 5 5 draw But Couldn't get off school for the replay
Juan Cornetto wrote:

PS:

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7372
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 28 200816 years283rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

JAMIE PEACOCK

Re: Wigan Rotary : Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:02 pm  
Ex-Swarcliffe Rhino wrote:
What a fantastic idea by the Wigan rotary. I'll be glad to bob a few quid into such a collection.

Can't see why we couldn't do the same either, although I still think the john Holmes stand would be a befitting commemoration of one of our greatest heroes.

yes the club said it intended to commission a John Holmes statue with the rebuild of the 'John Holmes' South stand , but the stand doesn't look like it's going to be done in the near future .Leeds united fans got together for a statue of their legendary manager too
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman32308
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 17 200221 years154th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Mar 24 10:2616th Mar 24 11:31LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS

For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled.

For 27 - 0 you get a trophy
For 75 - 0 you get sod all.

Wigan had eight in a row
Saints have five in a row

Re: Wigan Rotary : Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:30 pm  
lionarmour87 wrote:

I was at a grammar school in Orrell, Wigan and they wouldn't give us the afternoon off. We caught the school bus into Wigan after we finished and ran to Central Park just to see the last fifteen minutes. Fairbank and Ashton got sent off. It was the only time in Eric Ashtons career that he was dismissed.
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman32308
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 17 200221 years154th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Mar 24 10:2616th Mar 24 11:31LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS

For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled.

For 27 - 0 you get a trophy
For 75 - 0 you get sod all.

Wigan had eight in a row
Saints have five in a row

Re: Wigan Rotary : Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:33 pm  
Juan Cornetto wrote:

PS:

How much of the salary cap would those two take up now. Sadly probably none, as they would be playing Union. We were out with Alex Murphy and his wife for a meal about a month ago and he said Boston would be the best fullback in the world in todays game.
Juan Cornetto wrote:

PS:

How much of the salary cap would those two take up now. Sadly probably none, as they would be playing Union. We were out with Alex Murphy and his wife for a meal about a month ago and he said Boston would be the best fullback in the world in todays game.
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman37704No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 25 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
7th Aug 18 19:077th Aug 18 19:06LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
The older I get, the better I was

Advice is what we seek when we already know the answer - but wish we didn't

I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full-frontal lobotomy
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
kirkstaller wrote: "All DNA shows is that we have a common creator."

cod'ead wrote: "I have just snotted weissbier all over my keyboard & screen"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"No amount of cajolery, and no attempts at ethical or social seduction, can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred for the Tory Party. So far as I am concerned they are lower than vermin." - Aneurin Bevan

Re: Wigan Rotary : Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:11 pm  
lionarmour87 wrote:
I wonder if A similar effort by the local Rotary at Headingley for a statue for John Holmes because the one proposed by the club looks like it's going to take an awful long time before that comes to fruition

Having been involved with the Jack Harrison memorial at the KC, it soon became obvious that if we had relied solely on the club, nothing would've happened.

If you want a similar memorial to John Holmes, then I suggest it starts and ends with the fans. You'll need some club input but the donkey work of fundraising and commissioning a memorial shouldn't be left to the club. Nothing will happen.

The only note of caution I would sound, is the cost of a statue. I know when we looked the cost was absolutely horrendous. Even then, if it hadn't been for the grace of the bronze casting company and Campbell Engineering giving their materials and services FOC, I seriously doubt we'd have seen even the modest memorial to Jack.

What was most gratifying was the support and donations that came from right across the RL spectrum. We really are (or were then), a true family
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7372
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 28 200816 years283rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

JAMIE PEACOCK

Re: Wigan Rotary : Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:58 pm  
Rogues Gallery wrote:
I was at a grammar school in Orrell, Wigan and they wouldn't give us the afternoon off. We caught the school bus into Wigan after we finished and ran to Central Park just to see the last fifteen minutes. Fairbank and Ashton got sent off. It was the only time in Eric Ashtons career that he was dismissed.

I remember seeing a little bit of the sending off on late night Granada it was either Keith Macklin or Brian Trueman Eric Ashton was playing the ball and Jack Fairbank was impeding him,but there must have been more to it than that for Eric to lose his cool
Next