FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

Current LIVE TV Match : Hull Kingston Rovers 34 - 10 Hull FC LIVE ON SKY SPORTS Tanginoa Try, Lewis Goal
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Last night's game.
RankPostsTeam
International Star220No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 17 201112 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
5th Oct 20 21:319th Mar 20 11:27LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Last night's game. : Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:14 pm  
What did anyone think of the team performance last night?
Given that the opposition was weak, I thought Leeds played very well.
They looked lean, as if everyone had shed half a stone or more and played fast slick attacking rugby whilst generally defending well.
I think we're in for a great season.
FWIW this is my summary of each player last night.

1. Zak Hardaker had a good game and showed some real class, especially when bringing the ball out of defence.
20. Tom Briscoe looked like a very good buy and his pairing with Kallum should bring us plenty of tries.
3. Kallum Watkins. Showed real class and lightening speed, I only hope we can keep him.Really exciting player.
4. Joel Moon. I've always liked, even before he signed for us.Last night he too showed real class.
5. Ryan Hall. Nothing more to say, he's Mr Reliable.
6. Danny McGuire Was a real eye opener. He looked much quicker and sharper than last year,I think we can forget all those worries we had last year.
13. Kevin Sinfield (c) Missed 1st 3 easyish goals then kicked a couple of really tough ones.Captain fantastic.
10. Jamie Peacock. Was Jamie Peacock....he'll play forever.
7. Rob Burrow. Don't like him at hooker but that what he's asked to do and does it as well as most.Made at least one try saving tackle.
16. Ryan Bailey.He does what he wants and last night, he did it very well.
15. Brett Delaney. Would always be my choice for any team.Mr 100%.Last night was no exception.
12. Carl Ablett See comment re Brett Delaney.
9. Paul Aiton I thought he looked out classed by the rest of the team and didn't really impress me.Time will tell.
23. Brad Singleton. GREAT! GREAT!GREAT! there's not much to worry about in the front row whilst this young man is available for selection. A future international without doubt,IMO
8.Kylie Leuluai Looked a bit slimmer and faster than last year, again, Mr 100%
19. Mitch Achurch Looked more part of the team than last year and I think this may be his year to fulfill the promise he showed in patches last year.
2. Ben Jones-Bishop Scored 3 tries and seemed to be saying, I'm here to stay.If you want my spot you'll have to be very very good. On the wing, or at full back,I don't think I've seen him play better.Well done BJB.
18. Chris Clarkson Had a very good game and took his tries well.Another one who I think may prove his doubters wrong this year.
21. Liam Sutcliffe I'm sorry but this young man fails to impress me.I'm never sure what position/roll he's got in the team.I hope I'm wrong because the rest of the youngsters I've seen show some real class for their ages.
I only hope we can play this way against the better teams.
Can't wait for the big kick off.
Last edited by xparksider on Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MjM 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member6764No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 years193rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Mar 24 22:4018th Mar 24 09:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Let all the doubters keep doubting and those who believe keep believing.

We’re only interested in those in the bubble. Anyone who wants to come in the bubble, you can come in.

But you’ve got to keep believing.

Re: Last night's game. : Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:33 pm  
xparksider wrote:
11. Jamie Jones-Buchanan Had a sound game as usual.
Yup, JJB was particularly effective last night I thought. :lol:
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 12 201014 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
23rd Feb 21 21:5628th Jul 19 00:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Behind the picket fence on the grassy knoll in Dealey Plaza, Dallas, Texas.
Signature
"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection."

23/08/2014

Re: Last night's game. : Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:55 pm  
Hard to tell properly given the opposition but we did look sharpe in terms of fitness considering how many hadn't played yet. Thought we did play quite quick but then again they'll be teams who slow the PTB down and win collisions much better than London. Handling was good considering the weather, was expecting a knock-on-athon but we went ok in that department.

Forwards were sound, Clarkson has edged past Achurch for me in the two games I've seen this week and if JJB and/or Ward aren't available for HKR then Clarkson comes in. Had some worries about Leuluai after his disinterested showing at Hunslet but was better last night but Singleton has moved ahead of him IMO.

Aiton I think did well. He looked sound in attack after a couple of iffy first passes and more importantly sured up the defence in the middle which will be invaluable to taking the workload off the forwards.

Burrow did have a good game in both hooker and the halves when Sinfield departed. McGuire too looked good and sharpe. Hardaker looked very keen to impress I thought and played like someone with a point to prove. Briscoe looked a constant threat and hard working and BJB took his tries with the skill we already knew he had.

It's no coincidence that the ones listed in the above paragraph as the stand-outs are our more elusive players given the opposition on offer. BJB took his tries well but he won't be facing such poor defence every week. For me I'd go for Briscoe and Hall on the wings. It's tough on BJB but for the reasons we already knew about, the latter two offer more bringing the ball back from kick returns against strong set defences, look sounder under the high ball and better defence as well as being quality finishers themselves. One thing of note was that the right side throughout last night seemed to be the more targeted area in attack. I think teams are still over compensating trying to cover the threat we have on the left side that we seem to have more space on the right.

The question now going into the opener is who plays Loose if both Ward and JJB are missing? I'd go....

Hardaker
Briscoe - Watkins - Moon - Hall
Sinfield - McGuire
Singleton - Aiton - Peacock
Delaney - Ablett
Bailey

Burrow - Leuluai - Clarkson - Achurch/Sutcliffe(used as a back rower)
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman35189No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 27 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Jun 23 18:5013th Jun 23 22:07LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Last night's game. : Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:02 pm  
Anyone see the Broncos kicking tee man's OCD problem when Broncos kicked off?
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member28186No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 03 200321 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Aug 16 11:3717th Aug 16 11:37LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"As you travel through life don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things" - George Carlin

//twitter.com/AndyGilder

//fromthewesternterrace.blogspot.co.uk

This week: Four keys to a Rhinos win in the WCC

Re: Last night's game. : Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:49 pm  
Hard to determine too much against such weak opposition. Still some periods in the game where we switched off and got sloppy (10-15 minutes towards the end of the first half) but some excellent execution on the right edge in particular.

Thought it was an opportunity set up for Sutcliffe to shine when Sinfield went off, but he didn't grasp it. It's so obvious when he isn't going to take the line on, he just stands and passes as soon as he receives the ball. Needs to at least go straight, fix the line and then look to pass if he's going to.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 12 201014 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection."

23/08/2014

Re: Last night's game. : Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:24 pm  
Andy Gilder wrote:
Hard to determine too much against such weak opposition. Still some periods in the game where we switched off and got sloppy (10-15 minutes towards the end of the first half) but some excellent execution on the right edge in particular.

Thought it was an opportunity set up for Sutcliffe to shine when Sinfield went off, but he didn't grasp it. It's so obvious when he isn't going to take the line on, he just stands and passes as soon as he receives the ball. Needs to at least go straight, fix the line and then look to pass if he's going to.

Although he didn't get much game time last night I saw him against Hunslet and was also concerned that he doesn't look close to being a 6 yet.

His performance there was more similar to Watkins, he could run at the right side and could either get past them and go with good footwork or then pass to the guy outside him. Away from that one channel he wasn't a presence around the rest of the pitch.

We saw similar in his run in the first team last year but apparently according to some of the usual suspects on here McDermott planned this so he didn't shine too much so that "bringing Sinfield back would be easier."
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach19234No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 27 200717 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
6th Feb 16 10:406th Feb 16 01:01LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: Last night's game. : Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:20 am  
Note for the OP Jjb didn't play!!!
I thought we saw some good scores with the backs showing the explosive potential they have when given quality ball.
The pack remain a concern for me although I thought Clarkson did himself no harm looking to claim Jjb's BR spot should he miss the start of the season.
It was good to blow the cob-webs off before the trip to Portugal and there were plenty of positives to take from the game.
Depending on fitness for HKR I'd expect the Coach to go with...
Hardaker
Briscoe
Watkins
Moon
Hall
Sinfield
McGuire
JP
Burrow
Bailey
Delaney
Ablett
Singleton

Leuluai
Aiton
Achurch
Clarkson

Personally I'd start with Aiton at 9 with either Burrow at 7 and Mags on the Bench or vice versa and start Clarkson at 13 with Singleton as interchange Prop.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 12 201014 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

23/08/2014

Re: Last night's game. : Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:50 am  
rhinoms wrote:
The pack remain a concern for me.

Not having a go but genuinely want to know why based on that showing (or any other reason other than "too old") why the pack concerns you? We potentially have Singleton making the starting 13 over Leuluai and whilst people might highlight Peacock's age, they might want to remember he was just pipped to MOS in 2013 and was the best forward in the competition last year. Ablett and Delaney are late 20's.....a good, if not perfect, age in RL. Ward can hopefully add to the backrow upon return from injury.

If we get injuries to key starters then yes we're in trouble.......but the same can be said of any team. If not then they really couldn't have been 'key' all along. Some seem to be adamant that we'll suffer huge with injuries whilst others around us will be fine.

It just seems to me as if some posters are on Auto-Pilot of saying "Forwards concern me" without really thinking it through further than just coming up with an "too old" answer.
Gotcha 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner17230No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 15 200221 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st Oct 23 18:192nd Nov 20 15:05LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
#frostiesbitches We know who you are.

Re: Last night's game. : Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:04 am  
ThePrinter wrote:
Not having a go but genuinely want to know why based on that showing (or any other reason other than "too old") why the pack concerns you? We potentially have Singleton making the starting 13 over Leuluai and whilst people might highlight Peacock's age, they might want to remember he was just pipped to MOS in 2013 and was the best forward in the competition last year. Ablett and Delaney are late 20's.....a good, if not perfect, age in RL. Ward can hopefully add to the backrow upon return from injury.

If we get injuries to key starters then yes we're in trouble.......but the same can be said of any team. If not then they really couldn't have been 'key' all along. Some seem to be adamant that we'll suffer huge with injuries whilst others around us will be fine.

It just seems to me as if some posters are on Auto-Pilot of saying "Forwards concern me" without really thinking it through further than just coming up with an "too old" answer.

I think you answer your own question in paragraph one in just one line, about just one player. It all relies on Peacock, plain and simple. An injury to him, and it isn't worth considering.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 12 201014 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

23/08/2014

Re: Last night's game. : Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:34 am  
Gotcha wrote:
I think you answer your own question in paragraph one in just one line, about just one player. It all relies on Peacock, plain and simple. An injury to him, and it isn't worth considering.

Never actually said it relies on him. I actually highlighted Singleton, Ablett, Delaney and Ward too. Is he the key player in the pack? Yes......but look at any team (in any sport) and they have key players they would dearly miss. The salary cap doesn't allow for you to have a spare Peacock in reserve in case he gets injured. We aren't Man City with a wealth of reserves on stanby and could never be with the structures of the sport.

Take Peacock and Sinfield out and yes we will be doomed. Same can be said for O'Loughlin and McIlorum, Brough and Crabtree, Hill and Myler, Roby and Lomax.

Peacock (or others like JJB, Leuluai, Delaney) MIGHT have an injury hit year.....but that some have already confirmed/accepted it as a guarantee is a massive guess based on last years events. If going by 2013 should we also expect BJB to get a serious illness too?

That I mentioned that we have the best forward of 2013 in our team alongside these others encourages me......on the other hand it seems to send the fear of god among some people for some reason I can only assume is part of the pre-set doom that they've said will happen for near on a decade now.

We have the best prop of 2013 at our club.....
Glass half full crowd = "great, what an advantage to our club."
Glass half empty crowd = "damn, he'll get injured and we'll be screwed because we don't have another MOS-esque prop at our salary capped club.

"He might get injured".....yes and so might any other player who takes the field in SL this year, for Leeds or Wigan or Wire or Hudds or Saints or anyone.
Next