JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20 200321 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
31st Dec 18 07:4631st Dec 18 07:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
I have only been wrong once and thats because I thought I was wrong but I was wrong I was right!

Petty authoritarians aren’t man enough to challenge the actions of a person face to face; instead they incite a forum of rumour, innuendo and half truths, and impose rude sanctions to discourage those who dare question fairness.

Anon.

Re: A Quick Hello : Fri May 03, 2013 7:05 am  
obeone wrote:
Just to highlight this sad situation ,Lee Briers will play for Swinton in their next game .

Oh dear,what is happening to the game ?

Briers scored the winning try in the game against Whitehaven and had a hand in three others.

Swinton now move above us in the table an drop us back into a relegation position.

Whilst there is still a long way to go, and we have matches in hand, it just shows what absolute nonsense the D/R system is.

Where is Rangi Chase when we need him? :roll:
RankPostsTeam
International Star24
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 25 201311 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
23rd Oct 13 13:0223rd Oct 13 13:02LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: A Quick Hello : Sat May 04, 2013 4:31 pm  
Wooden Stand wrote:
What is the chance of the directors making a one-off personal financial commitment to sign that calibre of player today to leverage up on all the other good work and kick-start the road to Super League in 2018 in a big way?

The directors have loaned the club just over £150k to date. Whereas we are always on the look out for good players virtually all of them are tied up in contracts at this point in time. We will keep reviewing this and support our Head Coach in whatever way he sees fit within the boundaries of the salary cap the club has imposed on it via the RFL. Making a one off personal financial commitment to sign a calibre of player might seem straight forward but it isn't. The club has to stay within the salary cap imposed upon it. The salary cap is limited to the lower of £300k or 40% of turnover. Currently, our club does not turn over enough to achieve a salary cap at the £300k level. The maximum budget we'd be able to achieve based on turnover is much less than that. If the directors were to make a one off personal financial commitment to sign a high calibre player next year, that player would probably cost, say, £40k contract monies (assume he's a big star who really wants to play for Cougars!). All other things being equal the directors would have to loan the club £100k to sign the player (given the 40% restriction) and then immediately write off the loan to revenue so that the club stays within salary cap.

In reality wanting the club to do well on the back of signing stars is not sustainable. Building from the roots up and signing players with potential from the surrounding area and wider (which is very similar to what Marchy is doing) is the strategy. The situation is all about the strategy around the player pathway whilst growing the club's revenues to over £1m. If we turnover over £1m we can get dispensation from the RFL for a £400k salary cap which will enable to have the best of our local talent playing with the best of international talent on OUR pitch. Growing the club's revenues to over £1m is entirely feasible and it requires the fans to bring another person or two with them (each!) every game, for the club to sign more and more commercial sponsorship revenues (which is happening with 8 new sponsors signed over the past 3 weeks), for the fans and inhabitants of Keighley to book the function suites for their personal and business events whenever they have them and, when the club organises quality regular events like comedy nights, for the fans to come down en mass (for only a tenner each) and support it whilst having a good night (and not making some clever online comment about there only being 8 people there so there's no point in attending!). The dynamics are simple. More people down at the Cougars supporting and using the Cougar facilities = strong club = strong team).
RankPostsTeam
International Star695No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 14 201113 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
8th Mar 15 20:1315th Feb 15 13:28LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: A Quick Hello : Sat May 04, 2013 5:56 pm  
TheClubsVoice wrote:
The directors have loaned the club just over £150k to date. Whereas we are always on the look out for good players virtually all of them are tied up in contracts at this point in time. We will keep reviewing this and support our Head Coach in whatever way he sees fit within the boundaries of the salary cap the club has imposed on it via the RFL. Making a one off personal financial commitment to sign a calibre of player might seem straight forward but it isn't. The club has to stay within the salary cap imposed upon it. The salary cap is limited to the lower of £300k or 40% of turnover. Currently, our club does not turn over enough to achieve a salary cap at the £300k level. The maximum budget we'd be able to achieve based on turnover is much less than that. If the directors were to make a one off personal financial commitment to sign a high calibre player next year, that player would probably cost, say, £40k contract monies (assume he's a big star who really wants to play for Cougars!). All other things being equal the directors would have to loan the club £100k to sign the player (given the 40% restriction) and then immediately write off the loan to revenue so that the club stays within salary cap.

In reality wanting the club to do well on the back of signing stars is not sustainable. Building from the roots up and signing players with potential from the surrounding area and wider (which is very similar to what Marchy is doing) is the strategy. The situation is all about the strategy around the player pathway whilst growing the club's revenues to over £1m. If we turnover over £1m we can get dispensation from the RFL for a £400k salary cap which will enable to have the best of our local talent playing with the best of international talent on OUR pitch. Growing the club's revenues to over £1m is entirely feasible and it requires the fans to bring another person or two with them (each!) every game, for the club to sign more and more commercial sponsorship revenues (which is happening with 8 new sponsors signed over the past 3 weeks), for the fans and inhabitants of Keighley to book the function suites for their personal and business events whenever they have them and, when the club organises quality regular events like comedy nights, for the fans to come down en mass (for only a tenner each) and support it whilst having a good night (and not making some clever online comment about there only being 8 people there so there's no point in attending!). The dynamics are simple. More people down at the Cougars supporting and using the Cougar facilities = strong club = strong team).

That response is to me indicative of my perception of the how the directors think. There is an element of apathy in relation to attendances and an expectancy that fans will just turn up.

What have the club done to entice my mate to come down? Have they offered any incentive to entice a new supporter.

You've offered 20K of free season tickets, great idea in principle but it hasn't worked. Maybe entice Mum or Dad to come down and child will follow? New fans will not turn up on mass without marketing. Yes, we as fans can play our part, but what has the club done? You give me x amount of discounted tickets and I will happily distribute at work. I'm sure others would too.

Look at Swinton as a casing point. They were averaging around 500 in the first few games. They got over 1,172 against Leigh which probably was due to the travelling support. They have a £5 entry and get 1411 of a televised game, on a Thursday night against Haven. I accept they may not have hit the forecasted turnover through the gate that day (not far off though), but what about bar takings, food etc. They also posted a win so how many of those will convert to the next home game. Point is, they tried something and it got people down.

We all want success and all play our part, but the club need to do a hell of lot more in my view.

I like the idea about junior development. We have a very encouraging under 20's team, some of who I would like to see given some first team exposure. Dean looks like a very competent coach. My only point to that answer from the club is what has changed in 12 months? JD brought some marquee signings with him, but we've moved away from that model. Is that due to cost or Marchy's policy?

As for available players, from what I hear Cosgrove wanted to stay, but his loan deal came to an end. I think he did more than enough to warrant a contract. Was it a case of we couldn't get him permanently or didn't try?

Regarding comedy nights, IMO give them a miss. It's been tried and didn't work. Again, credit for the idea. What about trying it on a game day, say an hour or so before kick off. It might get people down earlier and then there's a potential increased spend behind the bar. Bar staff will be on duty anyway so no additional wages etc to cover.
goosey 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach774No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 30 200717 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Aug 15 09:4028th Jun 15 18:44LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: A Quick Hello : Sun May 05, 2013 6:55 pm  
I have given up sorry.................................................................................
RankPostsTeam
International Star695No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 14 201113 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
8th Mar 15 20:1315th Feb 15 13:28LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: A Quick Hello : Sun May 05, 2013 7:56 pm  
I hear the team now travel to away games in the minibus, or in their own cars. Is this true and if so what is the justification for this? Surely professional players deserve to be given the use of a coach?
RankPostsTeam
International Star102No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 10 201311 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
14th Feb 14 12:2919th Dec 13 13:00LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: A Quick Hello : Sun May 05, 2013 8:31 pm  
Can you please sack march and fans might come down, if you have any ambition you will do that. I never miss game home or away but after joke we are now considering boycotting until march sacked.

One more question what real reason Wray left?
RankPostsTeam
International Star63No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 02 201212 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd Jan 19 13:193rd Jan 19 13:19LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: A Quick Hello : Mon May 06, 2013 7:34 am  
I think a statement from the club is now required. This situation cannot continue. After 18 games including friendlies we have won 4. This includes Barrow away only just & Barrow home last minute. The rest of the season will now be seen as damage limitation. If we do manage to stay up, what are our prospects for next season.

As for match day experience.........produce something on the field of play.
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner2236No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20 200321 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
31st Dec 18 07:4631st Dec 18 07:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
I have only been wrong once and thats because I thought I was wrong but I was wrong I was right!

Petty authoritarians aren’t man enough to challenge the actions of a person face to face; instead they incite a forum of rumour, innuendo and half truths, and impose rude sanctions to discourage those who dare question fairness.

Anon.

Re: A Quick Hello : Mon May 06, 2013 8:09 am  
TheClubsVoice wrote:
.......when the club organises quality regular events like comedy nights, for the fans to come down en mass (for only a tenner each) and support it whilst having a good night (and not making some clever online comment about there only being 8 people there so there's no point in attending!).

You are not going to win "hearts and minds" with comments like that!

I've been to two comedy nights: they were good but not spectactular - that's an honest opinion. Were they worth going to - yes. However, if more people had been there it would have generated a better atmosphere and been more enjoyable.

The dynamics are simple. More people down at the Cougars supporting and using the Cougar facilities = strong club = strong team).

The dynamics are simple - success on the field = success off the field.
RankPostsTeam
International Star63No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 02 201212 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd Jan 19 13:193rd Jan 19 13:19LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: A Quick Hello : Mon May 06, 2013 7:12 pm  
On another thread we were promised a new web page for last week. Yet another failed promise. The club is in a mess. Championship 1 loaming, the team with no motovation and a coach unable to rectify the slide. DO SOMETHING OR THE GATE WILL DWINDLE TO 350. You have a good loyal band of Rugby League supporters who require some answers. Is this too much to ask ?

I look forward to your reply or maybe a supporters meeting where our concerns can be aired and answered directley by the club.
RankPostsTeam
International Star155No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 02 201112 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Oct 16 10:343rd Oct 16 23:39LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
CELTIC COUGAR

Re: A Quick Hello : Wed May 08, 2013 2:52 pm  
Get rid of march... get the only local lad who will be commited..PETER ROWE... nuffsed..
PreviousNext