WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Wire or Leeds?
 

Re: Wire or Leeds?

Post Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:23 pm
rhinos21 Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:36 am
Posts: 961
hula89 wrote:
Hopefully a few chair people of the top teams will do something about it and complain. Sadly I think the only way that anything would be done is if someone like Wigan or Saints won from 5th after Leeds had finished 1st. The RFL won't do a thing while it benefits Gary Hetherington's pocket.

:lol:

Re: Wire or Leeds?

Post Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:54 pm
sally cinnamon User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:26 am
Posts: 13909
Location: NFL playoffs
pies-r-us wrote:
You’re right mate last night’s result was an absolute disaster for the game of rugby league.


And I thought we took it badly!
Challenge Cup winners 2009 2010 2012
League Champions 2011 2016

Re: Wire or Leeds?

Post Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:56 pm
Tingley Rhino User avatar
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:51 am
Posts: 305
Take off your cherry and white blinkers and see the big picture ! The champions are the team that wins the grand final end of. If the champions were the team that finishes top, then Warrington would have won the title because they were the most consistant team over the year and rested and rotated their older players to keep them fresh for the play offs. They also put out a reserve team prior to wembley and lost the two points that would have given them the title. The only reason you would chose to finish higher up the table is to make your play off games easier and to obtain a second chance from finishing in the top two. Games through the season are not meaning less, is just that Leeds have won back to back Grand finals from 5th so everyones jumping on the band wagon saying weekley games are.

Please take some time to ackowledge what a champion team Leeds have been over the last eight years in a salary cap competition. They have never broken the cap like some and are currently spending under the cap. Adam Pearson and Ian Lennegan can spend all they want prizing contracted players from other clubs to try and buy sucess, but local lads with a never say die attitude is a winning combination no club, not even Wigan can buy under the current rugby league structure. :SUBMISSION:

Re: Wire or Leeds?

Post Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:49 pm
fleabag User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:37 am
Posts: 795
Location: Rochdale
Tingley Rhino wrote:

Please take some time to ackowledge what a champion team Leeds.....



Your winning the 'play off final' , is just akin to winning the Challenge cup isn't it ?

Win a few matches and proclaim yourselves champions, which is a misnomer.

Fair play for winning the cup, again.

But to use the title 'Champions' is an oxymoron.

Hell, even Wakey turned you over this season, as well as many other clubs.
Formerly known as Moonlight Flit

Re: Wire or Leeds?

Post Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:00 pm
chapylad Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2002 1:20 pm
Posts: 3080
Location: location, location
So the only sure fire way of becoming champions is to win the League?
If Warrington or Saints became Champions by winning the GF you would still complain as they finished 2nd or 3rd.
Or is it just because Leeds won it again you think it is a bad idea?
The champions of SL is the team that wins the GF.
The league fixtures are all about gaining an advantage in the play offs.
These are the rules and these are the rules all the SL clubs signed up to.
Oh and yes we did get beat by Wakefield in the League even Widnes beat some of the top teams this year!!

Re: Wire or Leeds?

Post Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:56 am
pies-r-us User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:45 pm
Posts: 992
Location: Sat wi pig on't wall
chapylad wrote:
So the only sure fire way of becoming champions is to win the League?
If Warrington or Saints became Champions by winning the GF you would still complain as they finished 2nd or 3rd.
Or is it just because Leeds won it again you think it is a bad idea?
The champions of SL is the team that wins the GF.
The league fixtures are all about gaining an advantage in the play offs.
These are the rules and these are the rules all the SL clubs signed up to.
Oh and yes we did get beat by Wakefield in the League even Widnes beat some of the top teams this year!!


The SL clubs signed up to this idea you say, but I didn’t, and I’d say if it’s broke fix it. Not everything that is a rule/law or idea is necessarily perfect and this one is turning into a very bad one for the SL. I was told that it was once legal to kill a Welshman within the boundaries of the walls of Chester, this I’d think you’d agree was a bad idea if you were Welsh, and the way the play offs are structured and the title of champions is a bad idea for the weekly rounds of SL, and I would think the same no matter who wins a GF. Also with no P&R about half of SL has virtually next to nothing to play for all season.
Have you noticed, you can never find a radical priest when you need one.

Re: Wire or Leeds?

Post Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:11 am
Dougy Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:05 pm
Posts: 1693
Would Leeds have finished top if thats what they had to do to become Champions?

Winning the playoffs is no more harder than winning the CC. In fact, Wigans run to win the CC last year was harder than Leeds run to win the GF. Finishing top is the hardest thing to do, thats why that team should be the Champions starting next year. Give us all a reason to buy a season ticket as the regular is meaningless with just 27 friendlies at the moment.

Re: Wire or Leeds?

Post Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:15 am
Clearwing User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:11 am
Posts: 5703
Dougy wrote:
Give us all a reason to buy a season ticket as the regular is meaningless with just 27 friendlies at the moment.


Disagree with this point. Why not back your team to surpass Leeds' achievement: win the LLS and GF (throw in the CC as well and your team will definitely get the acknowledgement that you appear to so desperately need). But AEOTD it's a personal choice I guess; just don't be too surprised to find your team, having enjoyed lacklustre support throughout the season and displaying the lack of effort in regular rounds that many fans are apparently calling for, finds itself unable to lift itself at the seasons end.
"The problem when you play Leeds is that they are a huge 'confidence' side. If you get on top of them, they will cower and go away, but when they get in front their chests puff out and they start whooping as they make tackles. " (Jon Wilkin)

Re: Wire or Leeds?

Post Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:20 am
Peter Kingsley User avatar
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:03 pm
Posts: 161
Dougy wrote:
Would Leeds have finished top if thats what they had to do to become Champions?

Winning the playoffs is no more harder than winning the CC. In fact, Wigans run to win the CC last year was harder than Leeds run to win the GF. Finishing top is the hardest thing to do, thats why that team should be the Champions starting next year. Give us all a reason to buy a season ticket as the regular is meaningless with just 27 friendlies at the moment.


In the CC you get weeks between the rounds. In the playoffs you have to back up, week after week.

From wigans run i remember them playing bradford away (who finished outside the playoffs) warrington away (1st) saints neutral (3rd) and leeds neutral (5th). I don't remember the game before bradford, but would i be right in assuming it wasn't an opponent worth mentioning?

Leeds had to back up week after week against 8th (h) 4th (away) 1st (away) 2nd (neutral)

So no, wigans cup run wasn't harder. And the weekly rounds aren't meaningless because you still need to finish higher up to have the best chance. Though i suppose, anywhere from 1st to 5th wigan generally fail to make the grand final so It doesn't matter for you guys.

Re: Wire or Leeds?

Post Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:44 am
wireflyer33 User avatar
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:32 pm
Posts: 429
Peter Kingsley wrote:
In the CC you get weeks between the rounds. In the playoffs you have to back up, week after week.

From wigans run i remember them playing bradford away (who finished outside the playoffs) warrington away (1st) saints neutral (3rd) and leeds neutral (5th). I don't remember the game before bradford, but would i be right in assuming it wasn't an opponent worth mentioning?

Leeds had to back up week after week against 8th (h) 4th (away) 1st (away) 2nd (neutral)

So no, wigans cup run wasn't harder. And the weekly rounds aren't meaningless because you still need to finish higher up to have the best chance. Though i suppose, anywhere from 1st to 5th wigan generally fail to make the grand final so It doesn't matter for you guys.

-talk about missing the point!and to think,you actually *believe* your world champs of rl as well as *worthy* champions of sl :lol:
-CLARE BALDINGS LOVE CHILD-
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AirlieJo, Allez, Ashton Bears, Bigredwarrior, BraddersFC, Budgiezilla, Cruncher, Darwen Warrior, easyWire, FoxyRhino, Grimmy, J L Hooker, jackdog, jus@casvegas, Kevin Turvey, leg_end, Lester Bangs, Marcus's Bicycle, marshman777, Old Man John, robbie1408, Saint_Claire, Slugger McBatt, spartakmixtapes, Suzy Banyon, tedglen, the wrestler, TonyM19, Trust Me, Ziggy Stardust and 413 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to Wigan Warriors - cherryandwhite.co.uk


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORD (DATE)
4,525,5172,04675,7814,491 (28-03-2016)
Google Analytics Unique Monthly Users : 118,226 (May 2016)
DOWNLOAD OUR NEW ANDROID APP CLICK HERE!
YOUR CLUB : Wakefield Trinity Wildcats
R
L
F
A
N
A
L
Y
T
I
C
S


Wakefield Trinity Wildcats
Change these prefs/or turn this off...

FIXTURES/RESULTS

W/D/L DATE COMP HOME AWAY
Sun 23rd Jul SL WAK STS
Thu 6th Jul SL WAK CAS
Sat 1st Jul SL WAK WAR
Sun 11th Jun SL WAK LEE
Fri 26th May SL WAK HUD
Sun 30th Apr SL WAK CAS
Mon 17th Apr SL WAK WIG
Fri 7th Apr SL WAK WID
Thu 23rd Mar SL WAK LEI
Sun 12th Mar SL WAK SAL
L Sun 12th Feb SL WAK 8 12 HFC
L Fri 23rd Sep SL STS 32 12 WAK
L Fri 2nd Sep SL CAS 46 22 WAK
L Sun 21st Aug SL WID 40 8 WAK
L Fri 5th Aug SL WIG 60 12 WAK
W Sat 16th Jul SL CAT 28 30 WAK
L Fri 8th Jul SL WIG 22 18 WAK
W Sun 12th Jun SL HUD 2 10 WAK
L Fri 27th May SL SAL 38 8 WAK
W Fri 29th Apr SL WID 16 18 WAK
W Mon 28th Mar SL LEE 16 20 WAK
L Fri 18th Mar SL HFC 22 4 WAK
L Fri 11th Mar SL STS 44 4 WAK
L Fri 26th Feb SL WAR 34 16 WAK
W Sun 21st Feb SL HKR 12 14 WAK
L Sun 14th Feb SL CAS 40 6 WAK
Tab two Tab three

Copyrite RLFanalytics 2016
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
  Fri 24th Feb : 20:00
SL-R2
WARRINGTON
v
CASTLEFORD
  
  Fri 24th Feb : 20:00
SL-R2
LEEDS
v
SALFORD
  
 > Fri 24th Feb : 20:00
SL-R2
HUDDERSFIELD
v
WAKEFIELD
 < 
  Fri 24th Feb : 20:00
SL-R2
LEIGH
v
ST. HELENS
  
  Sun 26th Feb : 15:00
CH-R4
SHEFFIELD
v
BATLEY  
  Sun 26th Feb : 15:00
CH-R4
ROCHDALE
v
HALIFAX  
  Sun 26th Feb : 15:00
CH-R4
HULL KR
v
OLDHAM  
  Sun 26th Feb : 15:00
CH-R4
SWINTON
v
FEATHERSTONE  
  Sun 26th Feb : 15:00
CH-R4
BRADFORD
v
TOULOUSE  
  Sun 26th Feb : 15:00
CH-R4
DEWSBURY
v
LONDON  
  Sun 26th Feb : 15:00
SL-R2
WIGAN
v
WIDNESTV  
  Thu 2nd Mar : 09:05
NRL-R1
CRONULLA
v
BRISBANETV  
  Thu 2nd Mar : 20:00
SL-R3
CASTLEFORD
v
LEEDSTV  
  Fri 3rd Mar : 07:00
NRL-R1
CANTERBURY
v
MELBOURNETV  
  Fri 3rd Mar : 09:05
NRL-R1
SOUTHS
v
WESTSTV