LOGIN or REGISTER FOR FEWER ADS AND MORE FEATURES
Currently There are 1665 Rugby League fans online
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Wembley Statue

Post Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:15 pm
twosevenzero User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Location: At home, listening to Willie Dixon (poet of the blues)
Wigg'n wrote:
Offiah scored the best try ever seen at Wembley and he's arguably the finest winger GB have produced in the last 30 years or more. Clearly not good enough for a piece of metal though, no.

You cant say that, in your opinion maybe, but there are lots of other great tries scored at Wembley, its all subjective.
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery.......

I will look to the moment, and miraculously, the future will take care of itself.

Radio 5 Live, Sat, April 14th, 2007,...Dave Whelan, "In Wigan, rugby will always be king"

'I was certain, positive, convinced, and yet..........unsure'

'It's only rock 'n' roll, but I like it'

Worry will not prevent destiny from unfolding.
Post Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:35 pm
pies-r-us User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

I know it may not go down well with other clubs, but considering our Wembley record, and his repute in the game it would be Billy B. for me, but the full group would be ace.

:GUITAR: :GUITAR: Rock 'n' Roll.
Have you noticed, you can never find a radical priest when you need one.
Post Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:43 pm
fleabag User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Eastbourne Warrior wrote:
'
Apologies to the RFL if my memory is fading but I'm sure murphy was coaching stains in 89 for the 27 to nil final. Iirc he transfer listed most of the team after the game. The beeb and sky are forever making mistakes when reporting abou rl but surely the inept RFL should get their facts right

I recall him walking over the pitch from the dougie stand to the players tunnel when with saints, and some 'card' tried to throw ale over him.

Murphy just laughed !

I like Murphy, a great player and character.
Formerly known as Moonlight Flit
Post Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:46 pm
Pemps User avatar
100% League Network Sponsor
100% League Network Sponsor

fleabag wrote:
I recall him walking over the pitch from the dougie stand to the players tunnel when with saints, and some 'card' tried to throw ale over him.

Murphy just laughed !

I have a memory of someone throwing a pie at him. Wonder if I;m confused and it's the same incident or something different.
king warrior wrote:
Adam Blair flew over yesterday and has been training the deal is going to be signed this week

Got to say this is a top signing
Post Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:49 pm
TheSurgeon User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Why is 'group representation' in with a chance?
IIRC that was not a choice when voting, so how come it has appeared now? I bet this is the way they go now.
Post Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:11 pm
Rogues Gallery User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

fleabag wrote:

Murphy just laughed !

We are out with Alex and Alice next Wednesday for a meal, he's always good craic.
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS

For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled.

For 27 - 0 you get a trophy
For 75 - 0 you get sod all.

Wigan had eight in a row
Saints have five in a row
Post Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:22 pm
post User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Without biase I think the group statue should be that of some of the Wigan players from 88 to 95, it's got to be, that feat will never be matched. Picture Edwards, Offiah, Bell, Robinson etc maybe 5 or 6 players holding the challenge cup.

Other fans won't be happy but tough, the records and achievement is there to see and should be rightly acknowledged.
Post Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:31 am
Smurf User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

TheSurgeon wrote:
Why is 'group representation' in with a chance?
IIRC that was not a choice when voting, so how come it has appeared now? I bet this is the way they go now.

I hope they do. A group one would look brilliant and would probably gather more attention.

It also gives a rare chance to acknowledge some of the greatest players to grace our game outside of the small media boundaries that we unfortunately have.

wigan pie man wrote:
Murphy is big headed and arrogant enough, without a statue.
I think someone who.s middle name is "humilty" should get it........and theres a guy who sits in the West every game who fits the bill (excuse the pun)

Murphy might be arrogant, but if I was considered by many of my peers to be the best of all time at what I do, I'd be arrogant too. I've always said, it's not arrogant if you can back it up.
Post Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:09 am
Conroy User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Location: Home of the FA Cup, Challenge Cup and Super League Trophies
If it's group rep then it should show some iconic Wembley images:

WIGAN RLFC
Post Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:12 am
Conroy User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Location: Home of the FA Cup, Challenge Cup and Super League Trophies
twosevenzero wrote:
You cant say that, in your opinion maybe, but there are lots of other great tries scored at Wembley, its all subjective.

Wasn't it voted the greatest Wembley try?
WIGAN RLFC
PreviousNext