WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Speed and Agility at Full Back

Board index Super League - Super 8s St. Helens - the-entertainers.tv Speed and Agility at Full Back

Re: Speed and Agility at Full Back
Post Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:07 pm
McClennan User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2001 12:04 pm
Posts: 27756
Location: In rocket surgery

Offside Monkey wrote:
But I'd say he's been returning better this year than last.........


He's also returning kicks better this year than he was when he was thirteen years old too.
Re: Speed and Agility at Full Back
Post Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:23 pm
Offside Monkey User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:50 am
Posts: 10399
Location: Awaiting a ban.

McClennan wrote:
He's also returning kicks better this year than he was when he was thirteen years old too.

Maybe. He was only little back then though.

My point is, although he may not be MOS material anymore, he's certainly playing well in himself and certainly contributing in attack. I also think he's more solid under kicks than he was last year.

However, by selecting a player at #1 with different attcking attributes, such as the ability to linkinto the line effectively and at pace, we could add an awful lot to our attacking arsenal.

I'm not sure whether that will be Makinson, Swift or Ashe(not heard much about him this year) that's next in line, or indeed whether we would shift Hohaia to play Gaskell at #6. Maybe we'll sign someone completely new, but I doubt it. If Wello get another year, I reckon(hope) it would be on reduced rate in order to have him as cover and bring the young lads on.
[url=www.cater-bake.co.uk]Cater-Bake UK - Pizza and Bakery Equipment Specialists[/url]
Re: Speed and Agility at Full Back
Post Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:29 pm
McClennan User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2001 12:04 pm
Posts: 27756
Location: In rocket surgery

Wello can certainly do a job for us, I mean I'd consider giving him a run at centre because he has the strength and the hands to do a job there for us. Perhaps, not as an everyday centre but he's more than capable of filling in wherever needed.
Re: Speed and Agility at Full Back
Post Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:57 pm
FearTheVee User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2002 12:57 pm
Posts: 10571
Location: Much too far South
McClennan wrote:
Wello can certainly do a job for us, I mean I'd consider giving him a run at centre because he has the strength and the hands to do a job there for us. Perhaps, not as an everyday centre but he's more than capable of filling in wherever needed.


I've been saying that for a while - not sure what we'd lose playing him there over Shenton.
Re: Speed and Agility at Full Back
Post Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:10 pm
Offside Monkey User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:50 am
Posts: 10399
Location: Awaiting a ban.

FearTheVee wrote:
I've been saying that for a while - not sure what we'd lose playing him there over Shenton.

Shenton's come up with some big money plays in the last few weeks (since he announced he was leaving, in fact) which have resulted in some nice tries from deep. Not sure if Wello could have mustered that.
[url=www.cater-bake.co.uk]Cater-Bake UK - Pizza and Bakery Equipment Specialists[/url]
Re: Speed and Agility at Full Back
Post Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:21 am
pies-r-us User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:45 pm
Posts: 992
Location: Sat wi pig on't wall
How long can Wellens keep going? I think his defence is starting dip now, but for me he never was a greyhound, but short range attack has never been better. His presence on the pitch is a massive leg-up for the Saints, even more so now that his mate KC is now in the stand with MR. So for me he still is a potent strike force in attack and his enthusiasm and heart is self-evident, it’s just his speed in defence where he is starting to struggle IMO. How many more years? Hard to say, but the tipping-point can’t be too far away

:GUITAR: :GUITAR: Rock 'n' Roll.
Have you noticed, you can never find a radical priest when you need one.
Re: Speed and Agility at Full Back
Post Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:13 am
wertyuio Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2002 11:14 am
Posts: 993
Location: St Helens
McClennan wrote:
...was common.


Thats what I said......
Re: Speed and Agility at Full Back
Post Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:55 pm
wertyuio Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2002 11:14 am
Posts: 993
Location: St Helens
Less than ten minutes in to the semi:

Would Wello have dropped the high kick? And i don't just mean drop the kick....I perhaps mean at least be within arms length to reach the ball without having to back pedal....side pedal.....

Would Wello have allowed that ball to run into touch for the forty twenty? Especially as Sinfield was well within the forty....and as the Wigan left centre clearly signalled as Sinfield was kicking that it needed fielding.

The one thing Tomkins has learnt from Wello is to stand and complain to the referree when he doesn't agree with something (forward pass).....although Paul usually waits until after the try has been scored rather than just standing and leaving a whole in the defensive line to allow the try......
Re: Speed and Agility at Full Back
Post Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:43 pm
SaintsFan User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:43 pm
Posts: 16170
Location: Somewhere other than here
wertyuio wrote:
although Paul usually waits until after the try has been scored rather than just standing and leaving a whole in the defensive line to allow the try......

Usually. Except last season when he was so busy arguing with the ref he let Pat Richards sneak behind him to score!

Good to see darling Tomkins still makes schoolboy errors: namely, the one Makinson was so actively criticised for not so long ago on here.
Success is not final; failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. (Winston Churchill)
Re: Speed and Agility at Full Back
Post Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:56 pm
McClennan User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2001 12:04 pm
Posts: 27756
Location: In rocket surgery

wertyuio wrote:
Less than ten minutes in to the semi:

Would Wello have dropped the high kick? And i don't just mean drop the kick....I perhaps mean at least be within arms length to reach the ball without having to back pedal....side pedal.....

Would Wello have allowed that ball to run into touch for the forty twenty? Especially as Sinfield was well within the forty....and as the Wigan left centre clearly signalled as Sinfield was kicking that it needed fielding.

The one thing Tomkins has learnt from Wello is to stand and complain to the referree when he doesn't agree with something (forward pass).....although Paul usually waits until after the try has been scored rather than just standing and leaving a whole in the defensive line to allow the try......


So you'd have Wellens over Tomkins then?
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Gerry Mander and 41 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to St. Helens - the-entertainers.tv



POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,620,4001,69476,1844,491SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
  Thu 24th Aug : 10:50
NRL
BRISBANE
v
PARRAMATTA  
  Fri 25th Aug : 09:00
NRL
CANBERRA
v
NEWCASTLE  
  Fri 25th Aug : 10:50
NRL
WESTS
v
NQL COWBOYS  
  Fri 25th Aug : 18:30
CH1
LONDON
v
SOUTH WALES  
  Sat 26th Aug : 06:00
NRL
GOLD COAST
v
CANTERBURY  
  Sat 26th Aug : 08:30
NRL
MELBOURNE
v
SOUTHS  
  Sat 26th Aug : 10:30
NRL
CRONULLA
v
SYDNEY  
  Sat 26th Aug : 15:00
CC2017
WIGAN
v
HULL FC  
  Sun 27th Aug : 05:00
NRL
NZ WARRIORS
v
MANLY  
  Sun 27th Aug : 07:00
NRL
PENRITH
v
ST GEORGE  
  Mon 28th Aug : 15:00
8s
DEWSBURY
v
SWINTON  
  Mon 28th Aug : 15:00
8s
ROCHDALE
v
OLDHAM  
  Mon 28th Aug : 15:00
8s
TOULOUSE
v
SHEFFIELD  
  Mon 28th Aug : 15:00
8s
BRADFORD
v
BATLEY  
  Thu 31st Aug : 10:50
NRL
NQL COWBOYS
v
BRISBANE  
  Thu 31st Aug : 20:00
SL
LEEDS
v
HULL FC  
  Fri 1st Sep : 08:30
NRL
MANLY
v
PENRITH  
  Fri 1st Sep : 10:50
NRL
PARRAMATTA
v
SOUTHS  
 > Fri 1st Sep : 20:00
SL
SALFORD
v
WAKEFIELD < 
  Fri 1st Sep : 20:00
SL
HUDDERSFIELD
v
CASTLEFORD  
  Fri 1st Sep : 20:00
SL
ST. HELENS
v
WIGAN  
  Sat 2nd Sep : 06:00
NRL
SYDNEY
v
GOLD COAST  
  Sat 2nd Sep : 10:30
NRL
MELBOURNE
v
CANBERRA  
  Sat 2nd Sep : 15:00
CH1
LONDON
v
HEMEL  
  Sat 2nd Sep : 20:00
8s
LONDON
v
WARRINGTON  
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM